#21 Thomas

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Thomas has not impressed so far, but he is a freshman, and there are a lot of very good scorers on this team that he can pass to. You can tell he is an amazing shooter when he shoots in rhythm, like the three he made today. Other teams are pretty aware of what he can do, as they don't tend to loose him on defense very often. It is nice to have Thomas, Long, Monte, even SDW all contributing. In reality, despite what some others think, ISU does have some pretty decent depth, especially in the guard court.

Fred seems to be doing okay so far this year, I will trust his judgment on who is playing for now.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
i prefer layups, dunks and Niang hook shots over threes. Matt is doing what the team needs and he is getting valuable experience.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Thomas has not impressed so far
- true freshman
- starting role
- 8.3 ppg
- 3 assists per game
- .6 turnovers per game
- 35% 3PT shooter
- key role on undefeated team

Not sure what there isn't to be impressed by outside of his defense. Few freshman come in and play well defensively.

Reactions: peteypie

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I don't really have a problem with Thomas. I'm just not sure what he gives us over Naz or Monte. I get that he's a shooter but he is incredibly tentative in taking shots and when it's close, he doesn't shoot. I like having Morris out there because he can get wherever he wants on the floor and seems to be able to defend better. He doesn't shoot the three as well to this point either. I get all of the "it will come" arguments but we have played cake teams and even then there just doesn't seem to be much assertiveness. I was hoping he was our Stuaskas. He isn't. Stauskas also wasn't the alpha dog but he was out there ready to score whenever. That's not to say Naz or Morris are appreciably better or even that it matters, but it's how I see it.

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Thomas makes perfect sense in the starting lineup. He spreads the floor. He is solid and doesn't seem to get too high or low. It also makes sense in that it balances our rotations and allows Fred to limit the minutes where Thomas and Morris are on the floor together.

I think he will continue to improve, as will Morris, Long and SDW.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Obligatory, I trust Fred.

Seriously though, there is a reason he's starting, and I'll trust Fred.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
He has that freshman, "oh jeez I better make this because all these people watching have heard I'm a great shooter" nervousness on his shots, in my opinion. Once he shakes that off, he be fine.

ken

Dec 28, 2008
Matt is playing great for a true freshman, and I can't wait to see him improve this season and into next. Look how much Naz has improved with one year under his belt in this program. Our coaches will help Matt continue to get better.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron