#21 Thomas

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I do think this team needs to get some more minutes and experience for all of the guys on the bench (with the exception of probably only Ellerman) but those guys also need to step up more when they do get minutes. Turnovers and defensive mistakes can be expected, but at the very least these guys need to start hitting more of their shots.
Usually players tend to need consistent minutes to get going, especially young guys. The Big Four often look pretty bad in the first few minutes of a game, but are allowed to play through it. As long guys like MM, SDW, and Edozie are playing good defense and limiting their mistakes, those guys can help us more than they have.

Last edited:

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
If I felt like someone behind him had earned it, I'd have no problem with Matt Thomas getting moved to a reserve role. But I just don't think anyone has outplayed him or given Hoiberg a compelling reason to make a change. At this point all that benching Thomas does is further shake the confidence of a very young player who's already struggling to find a defined role within the offense. Give it time. As long as he's finding other ways to contribute or until someone earns the job and takes it from him,then there's no need to bench him or cut his minutes. He's rebounding well, taking care of the ball, and for a true freshman he plays pretty good defense within what they're trying to do. Eventually the shots will fall.

Agree with this. Naz has had some big games and MM does a good job spelling Kane, but neither have played well consistently enough to start over MT. Seems like SDW's minutes went down in Hawaii as he too often charges or gets his shot blocked when he tries to drive, and he doesn't get or make many 3's. I think Edozie can hold his own down low when needed, but not much experience as we haven't seen him much lately. We're getting it done but adequate depth could be a concern against good big 12 teams. I'm sure Fred will make the most of what we have.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Agree with this. Naz has had some big games and MM does a good job spelling Kane, but neither have played well consistently enough to start over MT. Seems like SDW's minutes went down in Hawaii as he too often charges or gets his shot blocked when he tries to drive, and he doesn't get or make many 3's. I think Edozie can hold his own down low when needed, but not much experience as we haven't seen him much lately. We're getting it done but adequate depth could be a concern against good big 12 teams. I'm sure Fred will make the most of what we have.
There has been little difference in the play of MM, Long, or Thomas in games against decent teams. Here on out they should average about the same minutes, unless if one is hot from outside. Even SDW has shown to be a better defender than Thomas, and with handle and length, he has the potential on offense to justify more time to develop.
Edozie is clearly far behind Georges, Ejim, and Hogue, but I am surprised we do not trust him enough to sneak out some minutes in the first half or when up by double digits. If anything, that would help him be ready when we have no choice but to play him.