***2023-24 Mens College Basketball Thread***

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I wonder what the crowd will be like for the first round games in KC. Those four teams don't expect to advance far, I'd imagine. And they're fans are expected to show up on Wednesday.

I am wondering if the Big 12 would ever consider playing the women's championship as the highlight game along with those other two games as an undercard to make that night a better draw and compress the schedule a little bit.
Isn't that what is already happening today/tonight? Or are you talking about selling tickets to all 3 games as one session?

Reminder that next season there will be 16 teams. So I assume the first day of the tournament will have 4 games going forward, instead of the 2 now with 14 teams?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
So the committee doesn't look at NET rankings at all? They only look at #of Q1 wins( which are based on NET rankings) and who you played in November/December?
The NET is obviously a tool but it's not seeded exactly like the NET otherwise teams ranked in the 30s like NC State a couple years ago wouldn't have been left out.

No, they look at the overall picture. The fact is Houston played a weak non-conference schedule compared to Purdue even though they played a tougher conference schedule.

You could argue that Purdue played a tougher non-conference and tougher conference schedule overall over UCONN too. The Big 10 is ranked as the 2nd best conference on Torivick and the Big East is 4th.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
What metric are these Q1A wins based on that you keep using to say that Houston is #3 and Purdue is #1? NET? Who's #1 in NET?
I was going off Torvivks definition of a Quad 1-A win.

Somebody posed the question why some people have Purdue as the #1 overall seed even though Houston is #1 in the NET and on Torvik and I'm simply answering the question whether you agree or disagree with the reasoning.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Only enough NIL money for so many games !;);)

a lot of Purdues Q1’s are against crappy BIG teams
Only 2 of Purdue's 8 Quad 1A wins were against Big 10 teams. They won at Illinois and Wisconsin who both went 8-2 at home in conference play and are known to be extremely difficult places to win.

So your statement isn't backed up by facts.

Reactions: Elk4CY

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
With an NIL world he's done.
You are probably right but Louisville has a giant arena that makes money for the AD and an alumni base that can spend NIL cash.

Wright was always a great evaluator of talent for his system. Brunson, hart, divicenzo (sp), etc. Maybe I’m punch-drunk with TJ that you can build a top-10 program with guys that just fit.

The ACC is junk minus the top two. I can’t believe he doesn’t give it one more try.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Painter technically did win co-coach with fred.
Then technically, I shouldn't be surprised...bummed...but not surprised. Purdue was SUPPOSE to be great this year. COTY awards don't usually get bestowed to those teams.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
You are probably right but Louisville has a giant arena that makes money for the AD and an alumni base that can spend NIL cash.

Wright was always a great evaluator of talent for his system. Brunson, hart, divicenzo (sp), etc. Maybe I’m punch-drunk with TJ that you can build a top-10 program with guys that just fit.

The ACC is junk minus the top two. I can’t believe he doesn’t give it one more try.
If Wright (big IF) was getting the itch to coach again Villanova would take him back in a second. Neptune maybe a good coach someday but struggling replacing their legend now and Nova fans would riot if Jay W was available and took a different job.