***2023-24 Mens College Basketball Thread***

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I know Jeff Goodman thinks they should be higher than that. I know they return most of their team back from last years Final 4 squad.
They are going to end up as a 1 seed with that starting ranking. Such a joke. Really hope Gonzaga joins the Big12 so they stop being over ranked/seeded. Also think the Big12 is going to expose Houston a bit.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
They are going to end up as a 1 seed with that starting ranking. Such a joke. Really hope Gonzaga joins the Big12 so they stop being over ranked/seeded. Also think the Big12 is going to expose Houston a bit.
Looks like they are facing Arizona & Illinois in the Non-Conf. schedule but yeah they will probably roll pretty easily with that conference schedule of theirs.

• Agree
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think FAU will be a good team but I don't like overreacting to a tournament run and project that forward.
Don't they return everybody? I guess I don't consider ranking them #10 overall an overreaction. If they were top 4 or something sure, but I don't think that's an overreaction.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Don't they return everybody? I guess I don't consider ranking them #10 overall an overreaction. If they were top 4 or something sure, but I don't think that's an overreaction.
That's fair. Maybe the overreaction to UNCs run a couple years ago has me scarred

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I’m personally not a fan of ever ranking a G5 team because they will face almost zero competition in their schedule. It’s why I’m excited to see Houston finally play against real teams and wish Gonzaga was forced to as well.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I can understand FAU hype to an extent, a deep tournament run (especially if as an underdog) tends to have hangover effect, + returning so much from the roster.

Gut feeling is FAU is in 3/4/5 seed range, but gets bounced early.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Purdue is 5th in odds to win the NCAA tournament, +1600. They lose in the first or second round every single year.

There has to be some way to turn that into $$$?

Can I place a bet on Purdue NOT making the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 and leverage the fact that they’re projected to easily make it that far?

I get that they‘re ranked and should be ranked, but their NCAA performance is sooooooooooooo bad I legitimately think probably 8-9 Big 12 teams would be more likely to win the NCAA since they have that many programs who have recently outperformed Purdue.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I can understand FAU hype to an extent, a deep tournament run (especially if as an underdog) tends to have hangover effect, + returning so much from the roster.

Gut feeling is FAU is in 3/4/5 seed range, but gets bounced early.

I wonder if there are any stories how they fought off NIL to keep team together or raised their own? Look at Baylor’s star now Houston’s star, it’s everywhere. Teams with recent national championships are losing stars, let alone FAU.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I'm usually the mid-major guy around here but I have a hard time seeing FAU as a top 10 team. They're very, very good but everything has to go perfect at that level to get seeded high enough to repeat the run.

The new league isn't any better than the old one and Illinois, Arizona, Charleston, Liberty and the MTE are all really hard games plus Bonaventure and Loyola should be better than they were last year.

I suspect they finish something like 24-8, get overseeded and get bounced in the first weekend.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Especially when you beat Memphis, 16 seed Fairleigh Dickson and perpetual tournament underachievers Tennessee.

You can't control who you end up playing in the tournament, so IMO that's an unfair method of judging a team. 3 out of the 4 teams they beat to make the Final Four were seeded higher then they were.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
You can't control who you end up playing in the tournament, so IMO that's an unfair method of judging a team. 3 out of the 4 teams they beat to make the Final Four were seeded higher then they were.
Agreed but their tournament run is the only reason why they are ranked so it’s a little fair to bring it up.

Reactions: Clonefan32

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron