***2023-24 College Football Thread***

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Something to ponder: could NIL+ transfer and play actually heavily affect the top-heaviness of college football to a more even playing field?
It’s been suggested it might level some of the playing field after the top couple of teams. Might get more parity for the 12-team playoff where teams like Georgia are still elite and in their own class. But teams 3-12 or so could start to be more even over time. We shall see.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I know it makes sense that it’s technically a dead ball foul, but I know for certain I’ve seen that cause a first down before.
My guess is that if it was on 1st, 2nd or 3rd, Clemson gets the first down. However, since it was on 4th, when they play ends (QB is down), the ball is turned over (on downs), then there is a foul (targetting / late hit), it was Duke ball when the fould happened - even though it was only their ball for one second. I understand that logic technically, but I don't like the spirit of it. I think that rule needs to be changed to give the team that was fouled a first down.

Reactions: Rods79

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I know it makes sense that it’s technically a dead ball foul, but I know for certain I’ve seen that cause a first down before.
On 4th down though? Seems pretty clear, although probably somewhat rare just based on how often teams go for it on 4th down.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I am not a hater like many on here. Former Northwestern season ticket holder, and I have been to games in all but @ Rutgers B1G stadiums. @ Nebraska was during the Big 8 days and @ Maryland was during the ACC days, but I have been. There was a time when I enjoyed the random B1G game on ESPN at Noon, but it has become so unwatchable lately. Watering down the product has not helped. The uneven divisons is also bad for the B1G. The CBS National Game with Northwestern @ Rutgers yesterday was super bad. The SEC NEVER had a dog like that on CBS when they were the #01 product on CBS. Quite frankly, CBS / NBC / Fox have paid way too much for their current inventory. Oh well. Preaching to the choir, I know.
I’m not disagreeing with any of that but the SEC comparison isn’t fair when it’s a Sunday game of also rans. The only reason they get those two teams to play that is because none of the good teams in the big ten would put up with having a short week. Still have no idea how they got LSU to agree to a Sunday game.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Because you've seen it on other downs, where the dead ball doesn't result in a change of possession.

If that play happens on 3rd down instead of 4th, it's still Clemson ball.

Reactions: Jer

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
I understand the technicality of it all but if the guy starts the slide and the play is over and then a guy lights him up and targets him…why isn’t it a late hit??

CyByrd

Aug 9, 2021
Could be that it was a Late Hit with Targeting (dead ball) vs a tackle with Targeting which might not be a dead ball foul?

Reactions: Jer

Help Support Us

Become a patron