NFL: ***2022 NFL Season Thread***

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I don't have an issue with the hit. Tua was slung down but that was via momentum and how the defender was positioned. Not malicious IMO.
I did think though that when it was evident something was wrong, the defender was chest bumping, high fiving, and raising up his arms to the crowd to get them hyped was a little much.
When I first watched, It looked like Tua was slammed down to me. After I read your comment and watched it again. I agree that it probably wasn't malicious due to the points you mentioned.

Reactions: JP4CY

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
And your spasms probably came up right after you hit the back of your head on the ground right? After right after you shook off the cobwebs?

You don't actually know that Tua had a concussion Sunday, keep that in mind.

People act like Tua would have just gotten right up after that hit if he weren't injured Sunday, but they don't know that either.

It's certainly possible that the player, coaches, and medical staff conspired to hide his concussion and if that is the case, all three should be punished for it, and punished severely enough that it serves as a deterrent for anyone else.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
You don't actually know that Tua had a concussion Sunday, keep that in mind.

People act like Tua would have just gotten right up after that hit if he weren't injured Sunday, but they don't know that either.

It's certainly possible that the player, coaches, and medical staff conspired to hide his concussion and if that is the case, all three should be punished for it, and punished severely enough that it serves as a deterrent for anyone else.
This is exactly my stance. I’m all for punishing the organization and independent personnel if it’s found they put Tuas health at risk. I’m not really pro-penalizing the player as that’s just their competitiveness wanting to come back out.

We have people that saw a hit Sunday and a hit Thursday and are coming to conclusions without asking any questions and speak as if their opinion is truth when there is a lot still to be looked at.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
why bother, you've already formed your opinion
Screenshot_20220930-133951.png

Eat ****. My opinion is formed by knowing multiple medical professionals and asking them. Admittedly not a medical professional myself, but I know multiple people who work (or used to work) on a neurology floor.

Looks to me like he should have been a no go on Sunday at least based on gross instability, but likely team physicians said he could go anyway using that wishy washy asterisk there.

The NFLPA needs to eviscerate these team physicians.

The dangers from concussions are when you receive multiple in shorter periods of time. They have to err on the side of caution because it's the returning to play too soon (or at all in some cases) part that is killing these guys.

Reactions: NoCreativity

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
View attachment 103791

Eat ****. My opinion is formed by knowing multiple medical professionals and asking them. Admittedly not a medical professional myself, but I know multiple people who work (or used to work) on a neurology floor.

Looks to me like he should have been a no go on Sunday at least based on gross instability, but likely team physicians said he could go anyway using that wishy washy asterisk there.

The NFLPA needs to eviscerate these team physicians.

The dangers from concussions are when you receive multiple in shorter periods of time. They have to err on the side of caution because it's the returning to play too soon (or at all in some cases) part that is killing these guys.
Thanks so much for posting this (with the exception of the initial comment you made). To me, this says he never should have came back into Sunday's game and allowing him back in was a violation of the protocol.

Edit: I didn't realize the asterisk next to the Gross Motor Instability thing, but even if it is his back, wouldn't that still be neurological in a way?

Last edited:

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Well **** if I know multiple neurologists who saw something on video that I can speak to, I’d much rather get their opinion on a head injury than listen to the multiple neurologists who were actually on the field working on the student.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I remember Mahomes coming up wobbly in the playoff game against Cleveland a couple of years ago. Never actually hit his head and was not deemed to have a concussion, but since he was wobbly when he got up, they pull him from a freakin' playoff game and he didn't return. He entered protocol that week and easily passed. It ended up being explained as something like blood flow was temporarily cut off to his head due to the tackler's arm being across his neck when he went down and dazed him a bit.

• Agree
Reactions: ScottyP

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Probably not. I’m not sure why he would be checked. My guess is with the NFLPA being involved, they wanted to be checking in.
Seems odd that a guy that didn't have a concussion and wasn't in the concussion protocol is getting checked every day for a concussion.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I remember Mahomes coming up wobbly in the playoff game against Cleveland a couple of years ago. Never actually hit his head and was not deemed to have a concussion, but since he was wobbly when he got up, they pull him from a freakin' playoff game and he didn't return. He entered protocol that week and easily passed. It ended up being explained as something like blood flow was temporarily cut off to his head due to the tackler's arm being across his neck when he went down and dazed him a bit.
Which I think is wrong as well.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
It does make me question how accurate/thorough these protocols are. It doesn't do much good if a player can easily fake his way through it.

Reactions: ISUCubswin

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
A lot of people raking Cubs here when the NFL and NFLPA allowed a system where a "no-go" symptom is actually a "no-go if you can prove it was a concussion and not potentially another injury" symptom.

Until the rules are amended players and doctors can point to back pain or other symptoms and likely go out and play.

Reactions: ISUCubswin

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron