2022 Field of Dreams

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It is not just Iowans going to the game. It has the feel of a destination ballpark IMO. Last nights tickets were $80+ (I believe in-laws bought ours) for a MiLB game. Also a large number of people flew into Dubuque on their private jets last year. DBQ is normally a non-radar Class 2 airport with limited hours. For the MLB game the hours are extended with extra staff, taxiways repurposed for jet parking etc. just like large events elsewhere in the country. Price is not an hurdle for those people.
I want to be one of “those people”

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Is there any talk to making this site a little more permanent and hosting more games/year?

Would love to see state baseball held here eventually if thats ever an option.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Is there any talk to making this site a little more permanent and hosting more games/year?

I don't know of any but did have that conversation with a friend last night. I like the idea but I don't know if it is financially feasible for something like state baseball due to the incredible amount of infrastructure, logistics and staff needed to pull it off. The tickets are not cheap only because of the coolness and teams playing, everything but the field is brought in and takes a week or so to set up and tear down. State baseball would not be on this magnitude but it would still require a lot of it.

Reactions: cycfan1

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Not with the way it’s currently set up. Like Wx said, it’s all brought in. If they made the field and stands permanent down the road during the massive building project they proposed (if it comes to fruition) it could potentially be plausible to have it there I suppose.

Reactions: cycfan1

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Not with the way it’s currently set up. Like Wx said, it’s all brought in. If they made the field and stands permanent down the road during the massive building project they proposed (if it comes to fruition) it could potentially be plausible to have it there I suppose.

Right, understand would think with all the success some talk gets pushed on making bit more permanent.

But if everything is going to be brought in every year maybe have it in combination with the MLB event. State baseball Mon-Thur, minor league game Friday and MLB game Saturday. Would be pretty cool weekly event for the state.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I've see all the plans for a larger facility and construction on a 9? 12? field facility in the area as well.

Maybe it's just me, but the whole novelty is playing a game surrounded by a corn field. Not some corn and a gigantic multi-field facility. Kinda ruins it all for me.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Well, they just picked up $12.5M.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I get the setting part but people are going to do a $1000 a pop for the Cubs and Reds?
Seeing an MLB game at this site is a bucket list thing for middle aged dads all over the country. At last year's game I talked to tons of guys who came in from Chicago, NY, Jersey, etc. Obviously high-profile teams will make it a more attractive draw, but I think for a whole lot of people, which teams are playing is almost secondary to just being there for a game.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

I think MLB is still in a bit of a wait-and-see mode before making it permanent and an annual thing.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I think MLB is still in a bit of a wait-and-see mode before making it permanent and an annual thing.

My concern is they are not committed to this site so much as the concept of historical/culturally significant places. Such as negro league stadiums etc.

I can't see MLB owning it either for various reasons (unsure of the current ownership situation) so maybe if someone else build it basically to MLBs specs and MLB leases it for these games?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I just don't care about the two teams playing this year. I thought the White Sox should always play.
I didn’t give a rip about either team last year. It didn’t even matter that both teams were in contention, I just didn’t care.

Then the whole thing happened. All of it. And it was incredible.

Last year’s event will never be matched.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I didn’t give a rip about either team last year. It didn’t even matter that both teams were in contention, I just didn’t care.

Then the whole thing happened. All of it. And it was incredible.

Last year’s event will never be matched.

I don't care about the White Sox. I just thought it gave that authentic feel of the movie.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
My concern is they are not committed to this site so much as the concept of historical/culturally significant places. Such as negro league stadiums etc.

I can't see MLB owning it either for various reasons (unsure of the current ownership situation) so maybe if someone else build it basically to MLBs specs and MLB leases it for these games?
I don't think they're mutually exclusive. MLB is very focused on doing new interesting things to try creating buzz and expanding interest. The MLB London Series is another example.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I don't think they're mutually exclusive. MLB is very focused on doing new interesting things to try creating buzz and expanding interest. The MLB London Series is another example.

Going to need to do something to draw in new / younger groups of fans.

81 home games a year the least some of these teams can do is play a series or two at their minor league ballparks or nearby cities. Royals were close to playing at Omaha pre covid 2020. You completely expand and build your fanbase.

London series, Mexico City, central America, Japan... theres a lot that can be done to change up a long regular season.