2022 Field of Dreams

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUATC

Feb 1, 2007
Caught the last few innings of the Minor League game on MLB Network tonight. High A ball, Davenport vs Cedar Rapids. Everything about watching these games bring a sense of pride and renewed love for the game. The players, umps, commentators and fans are in awe of the atmosphere and nostalgia. Beautiful evening, beautiful ballpark and a great thing for the state of Iowa!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It’s over??? Damn it. I was just going to look to see if it was on anywhere. I was going to try and go tonight but didn’t workout to get off work today.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It was pure magic. Hell I wasn’t there and I want a print of one of those sunset pics from the game.
Last years game was beyond any baseball… no, sporting event I’ve ever watched. I’m not an emotional guy and it literally brought me to tears multiple times. It was amazing.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Last years game was beyond any baseball… no, sporting event I’ve ever watched. I’m not an emotional guy and it literally brought me to tears multiple times. It was amazing.

It was the damnest thing. I had no desire to even watch. And I thought paying thousand ofdollars for tickets was nuts. But then I got sucked in. And it was so freaking cool. It was most perfect summer night Iowa could have offered.

It was kind of like the movie. The movie is supposed to resonate with men of my dad’s generation that struggled with their fathers. I’m a woman born in 1979 who has a great relationship with my dad. But the movie gets me every time.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Cubs v. Reds on Thursday.
I know, I was talking about the minor league game. I knew I wouldn’t get tickets to the MLB game so was going to try and get to the other one.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Sitting in traffic leaving tonight’s game. It is a tremendous experience that I suggest everyone do.

It's unfortunate the parent club raided the Kernels before this game. No way to avoid it, just unfortunate timing.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
It's unfortunate the parent club raided the Kernels before this game. No way to avoid it, just unfortunate timing.

Yup. A lot of guys that deserves it too. 2022 first round pick joins the team tomorrow.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
The game last year was fun. The only downside I remember was I didn't think the "ballpark dj" (or whatever the name is) was very good. None of the music they were playing seemed to fit the atmosphere iirc.

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
Try having a kid aka 10u playing the game for a traveling team. We had every intention of making it to Dyersville after State in Coralville 3 weeks ago. Well, we won state and didn’t have the time since we live in North Cemtral Iowa. Maybe next year but we will be watching on Thursday!

Reactions: wxman1

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Some morning after thoughts now that I can type more.

MLB and their event partners do an excellent job with this. Few details are overlooked and really the only ones I can think of are fairly minor (no section signs in the stands themselves leading to some confusion and they need more traffic control in the parking lot itself vs just at the exit). The signage was all Bunnies vs Blue Sox not Cubs vs Reds, The only signs of that game last night were player picture things in the corn. Speaking of the corn. I heard it was the same in the locker rooms etc. Easy and relatively cheap things to change but actually doing it shows the commitment to the experience IMO.

Food prices are reasonable for similar events, including the popcorn being from a local CR place Almost Famous Popcorn. MLB merchandise prices were crazy expensive IMO but I can only guess that it is on par for similar events ($50 for a t-shirt, cheapest hat was $40 I believe). They were still doing plenty of business. This takes me to another thought I had last night, I can only imagine this is the highest tax income event in Dubuque county history. It sounds like the city has shown their commitment to it by running city water out to the site.

Reactions: aauummm

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I get the setting part but people are going to do a $1000 a pop for the Cubs and Reds?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I get the setting part but people are going to do a $1000 a pop for the Cubs and Reds?

It is not just Iowans going to the game. It has the feel of a destination ballpark IMO. Last nights tickets were $80+ (I believe in-laws bought ours) for a MiLB game. Also a large number of people flew into Dubuque on their private jets last year. DBQ is normally a non-radar Class 2 airport with limited hours. For the MLB game the hours are extended with extra staff, taxiways repurposed for jet parking etc. just like large events elsewhere in the country. Price is not an hurdle for those people.