2022-23 Out of Conference Schedule

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
Not in the challenge, but didn't we play xavier just before the battle started? Also somehow we may have matched up with prov. And unconnected in the tourney A few years ago. So they both might be at the bottom of my "next up" list

Last edited:

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
The other scheduled game against xavier was in 2005. I remember because their team and fans were pretty classless back then.

I don't know how their people were for the NIT. I kinda Forgot we beat the pants off of the fighting Nunge's. They weren't the musketeers that day with all the Hawk trash rooting for them.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Big 12/Big East Challenge Results

2019: Seton Hall (W)
2020: DePaul (Cancelled due to DePaul Covid outbreak)
2021: @ Creighton (W)
2022: St John's

Teams yet to play:
Villanova
Providence
UConn
Marquette
Xavier
Butler
Georgetown

Marquette or Butler would be an ideal away trip down the line
If I had to rank them by want left I'd go

1. Nova
2. Marquette
3. Uconn
4. Providence
5. Xavier
6. Butler
7. Georgetown

Top 3 would all feel like big time games, plus Marquette is in our recruiting zone. Providence and Xavier depend on how good they are. Butler and Georgetown are down but can feel big again quick. Only real **** draw in this challenge is DePaul

Reactions: cyclones500

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
My takeaways:

St Johns is a lame matchup for us. Seems like they haven't been good since the early 2000s. I forget they even exist a lot of the time because they have stopped being good. They are like DePaul of the east coast.

Happy we avoided Xavier in the Big 12/BE challenge. Nunge would want to wreak havoc on us and relish a chance to get one more shot in before he retires from his 7 (8?) year CBB career.

Would love to get Texas A&M in the Big 12/SEC challenge, and in Hilton. We had to play there a few years back and their fans annoyed me, so I'd love to exact some revenge against an old conference foe.

I'd like to see Colorado as an opponent for a home and away, play them first this year in Hilton, then cancel the return game because A) They are traitors and B) I don't recall an ISU team ever playing well there.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If a P6 H/A is possible, outside of Big East or SEC, I'd want Pac-12 or ACC ... not Oregon State for P12; someone at least mid-level ACC (ISU wouldn't get a home/away with any of the biggies in either case, I'm sure).

I'd be OK with a one-off vs. A-10, American or Mountain West, maybe even neutral (i.e., Kansas City). Depends on the team, though.

PeteyPablo

Apr 16, 2022
Providence has a really good transfer class just like us…it probably could’ve been a fun game

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It would be great to have a short road trip to catch MBB.

My vote would be the Gophers because of closeness, twin cities is fun & Williams Arena is unique old arena. But with TJ's emphasis on recruiting Minnesota & Wisconsin makes it a tough sell for those schools.
I doubt we would set up home/away with Huskers as long as Fred is coach.

Best shots could be Northwestern & Colorado. We have a lot of alumni in those areas and would generate ticket revenue for those schools

Mizzou would be another good option as old rival. Not really a fan of neutral site games- but playing Mizzou in KC around Christmas would be fun

Minnesota is a great road trip for ISU fans. Had some games up there back in the Orr years I believe. The ball hitting the scoreboard game was the one I was at.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
What a dichotomy this board is complain about soft scheduling when we all know we need to have a strong non conference record to help carry us through the big 12 season and make the tourney. Hell there are multiple pages in other threads complaining how next yrs team isn't going to be any good because we missed on one player in the portal.

I enjoy good non con games, but whatever games get scheduled I'm going to watch anyway.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
It would be cool if there's some kind of home/away or 1-off neutral vs. decent opponent. But wouldn't surprise me if both are buy-game variety. (*sigh*)
I would actually be kinda surprised if there wasn't a P6 or high mid major team on our schedule next year. We've done that every year since 2009 at least when Byers started here. Idk how long Micah has done the scheduling but he hasnt pulled an Iowa on us yet

Reactions: cyclones500
Jan 23, 2008
Glen Ellyn, IL
Why does Iowa State want. to play in the Phil Knight Invitational? They are one of the weaker teams in the tourney, and may not win a game. They need non-conference wins for a shot at going back to the NCAA Tourney. I don't see them winning more than half their games in the Big 12 (similar to last year)

• Dumb
  • Dislike
Reactions: Cytown12 and 0u812

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
Why does Iowa State want. to play in the Phil Knight Invitational? They are one of the weaker teams in the tourney, and may not win a game. They need non-conference wins for a shot at going back to the NCAA Tourney. I don't see them winning more than half their games in the Big 12 (similar to last year)
These are supposed to be the best Nike schools in the best conferences. It's a big deal to see Iowa State represent the B12. Will help national perception of our school, which will help get media exposure, which means more business partners, which means more revenue. The exposure also helps recruiting. How many recruits the last few years who weren't from the midwest knew of ISU because of success in events like this by the Hoiberg teams? Hint: most of them. Also when recruits are choosing between ISU and other B12 schools, being showcased in events like this gives us a leg up.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
You take that invite 101 times out of 100. There are a select few tournaments where it's just an honor to be invited and you jump at. This is probably the best of the Atlantis, Maui, Main Event tier, especially because it only happens every 5 years.

Help Support Us

Become a patron