2021 Stock Market

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
So I have a Roth IRA with like 13k in it. Does anyone know the taxes if you just buy 2000k of a stock. wait for it to gain 15% then sell. taking that profit and doing it again (hopefully). NEVER taking any money out of the account just putting it into different stocks.

what are the tax implications?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
So I have a Roth IRA with like 13k in it. Does anyone know the taxes if you just buy 2000k of a stock. wait for it to gain 15% then sell. taking that profit and doing it again (hopefully). NEVER taking any money out of the account just putting it into different stocks.

As far as I know there shouldn’t be any. The Roth is the best place to do this as long as you don’t take the money out of the Roth. I mean hypothetically you could take your direct contribution out if needed but you’ll need to know what that was. Doesn’t look like that’s your goal though so that’s irrelevant.

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
My understanding is that neither a Traditional IRA nor a Roth IRA would have any tax implications from trading within the account. The tax implications come into play once one is withdrawing from the account and/or contributing to the account.

Traditional IRA - Contributions are tax deductible for year of contribution, taxes are paid on withdrawals taken from the account in the future
Roth IRA - Contributions are 'after tax' (i.e. non-deductible for contribution year), therefore any future withdrawals are free from tax in the future.

Obligatory not a CPA/CFA

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

zero tax implications

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I would wait until the inevitable dip tomorrow.
This.

Nothing seems undervalued right now. Wanted to add an insurance stock or two this week but they are essentially at their 2021 price target and its about May 1st....

I like principal fin group as a long term hold but haven't pulled trigger yet.

Reactions: frackincygy

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

You can day trade inside your roth if you want. There are no taxes until you take the $$ out if you are not of retirement age. That is the value of roth's.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
This.

Nothing seems undervalued right now. Wanted to add an insurance stock or two this week but they are essentially at their 2021 price target and its about May 1st....

I like principal fin group as a long term hold but haven't pulled trigger yet.
Agreed. Scooped up some last Fall when I saw they were yielding >5.5%... I should've backed up the truck :(

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone1209

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron