2021 Stock Market

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
One big question mark out there is the various Covid strains. Will the vaccines have any effect on them, if not, it could slam the market.

Last edited by a moderator:

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
One big question mark out there is the various Covid strains. Will the vaccines have any effect on them, if not, it could slam the market.
Could see a little impact but nothing like last March. Pfizer is still doing some testing on the new strains but they feel based on past testing that it will handle the new strains.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Could see a little impact but nothing like last March. Pfizer is still doing some testing on the new strains but they feel based on past testing that it will handle the new strains.
Agreed it won’t be like last March, but most likely we will be in a current level of shut down or slightly worse, which would cut a large part of the excitement out of the market.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Agreed it won’t be like last March, but most likely we will be in a current level of shut down or slightly worse, which would cut a large part of the excitement out of the market.
Agree. If Biden does a massive shutdown all bets are off and the market will be in tailspin.

• Winner
Reactions: cyfan21 and Lineup

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What is shut down?
Various states and cities have different levels. Some have in store dining shut down still, some have kept their bars closed or limited them to 25% capacity which is equivalent to being shut down since they can’t generate enough revenue. In Iowa we don’t have as much, Minnesota has far greater restrictions.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
If they declare a state of emergency, yes.

Then it comes down to enforcement. Unfortunately the mask issue was weaponized early on.

I see this as a race to get the vaccine out. I believe America can win that race if (and only if) people will actually take it.

Americans are proving to be a wild bunch. That could blow up the economy. I'm betting it wont.

I'm risk on. Added a Korean manufacturing ETF, increased small cap exposure, and bought a clean energy ETF. (Still holding the XLE in the short term)

I could be wrong. That's what makes a market

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
How do you all feel about FAANG (+microsoft) stocks in 2021? Trying to decide how much profit I should take on my 2 year investments (they've all done really well).

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
What is everyone's thoughts on REITs right now? For example $MITT or $IVR who were trading at 5x their current value prior to COVID; do the hotels and commercial properties have enough reserves to make it through this? If so there is a ton of opportunity

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I started doing some amateur investing a couple years ago with Robinhood, but as my account has grown I'm looking to move to a more versatile platform. Anyone have thoughts on E-Trade vs. Fidelity?
I suggest TD ameritrade. The thinkorswim platform is very powerful. Best of all, it is FRREEEEE

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
IVR sold off a lot of assets to survive COVID. As a mortgage REIT, the current rates aren't great for them either. I have a small holding and trade out of the money covered calls on it for a little return. Somewhat of a risky stock, IMO, but long term potential is there.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
Anyone in on weed plays? I think new leadership decriminalizes it and could make things go.
I bought into $APHA a few months before they bought Sweetwater Brewing (added on the post buy dip) and they have also since merged with Tilray. Wasn't a big fan of the merger when it originally was announced ($TLRY IMO was a heaping pile of debt) but as I've looked into it further I think the idea with the merger is to expand $APHA global footprint without doing so "organically" (as $TLRY already has a decent presence in EU/UK iirc) - the price has risen in the last few weeks (last buy was $7.10 in December, between that and my $4.20 buy this CANNOT go tits up, right?!?) so I haven't added and I'm not sure if I'd "recommend" buying with the recent climb.

But if you're looking for a "large" operator with good management ($APHA management team will head the post-merger company) IMO there aren't many better options out there from a risk/reward perspective.

I didn't look into penny stocks/ micro-cap companies because I don't know enough about the details of the industry, but I've been happy since I originally scooped up $APHA last summer and think the future looks bright - my only reservation is the debt burden they've taken on with the $TLRY merger; but the management team turned $APHA cash-flow positive in short order and I think this will be one of the long-term winners when the smoke clears.

***I am NOT a professional, this is NOT investment advice. I'm just autistic and hungry for tendies.***
I think they are a good play, but hold off on making large plays until after the 28th. Right now weed prices are trending up on emotional buying only. There is no legislation that is dictating this rise. As laws come out and change you'll really want to look into who the legislation is benefiting, large scale corporations or the small weed corporations. I expect some larger company to step in at some point in the very near future. A large company like say even Walgreens or target will solve every logistical issue a small corporation would have about how to try and grow their brand along with shipping issues.

• Informative
Reactions: frackincygy

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Been following a guy for a bit and he has hit on two penny stocks in a row for me.

Got in on ZOM at .17 and got in on TSNP at .17. Both are doing really nicely for me at the moment and he keeps thinking there is still plenty of room to run. I've already pulled out my principal and letting the rest ride for now. Made some nice profits so far, but don't want to get too greedy.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Anyone have thoughts on how to handle 529s this year? With where the market is at Im hesitant to fully fund them this month and thinking maybe doing it quarterly instead.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron