2021 Stock Market

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Some day we are going to crash hard from the endless debt obligations.. But that crash isn't in the near/mid term
tenor.gif

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
GameStop is also building an NFT platform on eth. They are getting clever

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I picked up another 30 shares of CCIV(Lucid Motors) today. I'm betting big on EV's long term.

I've been eyeing some EV's as well. I've been looking at QS and WKHS as possible long term investments. Although, they are both in startup phase, I feel good about long term outlooks. I'll have to add CCIV to my watchlist.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Not sure I'm bullish on the EV change yet, but that new Ford pickup is starting to make me a believer

I said this in another forum, but I don't think electric trucks will take off like cars will. I just don't see the customer for a truck ready to make the jump to electric; especially since you don't buy a truck for its fuel efficiency like you would a car.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I said this in another forum, but I don't think electric trucks will take off like cars will. I just don't see the customer for a truck ready to make the jump to electric; especially since you don't buy a truck for its fuel efficiency like you would a car.

I get that, but there are a whole lot of nice trucks rolling round that are used to get groceries.

It's surprising how much the pickup has changed since I grew up in one. Now we have an electric that has a good range, a trunk, and can power my home?

Whar the truck nuts?

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Everything is in place for Lucid to be a big player in the EV market. Tesla hates them. The guy running the show there is Tesla's former chief engineer and they have been super successful at poaching engineers from Volvo as well. They are already sold out of their Lucid Air and already have a more affordable option to compete with Tesla's cheapest model for next year. They are going to have to build another plant to meet their demand because I don't think they can produce enough cars at their lone Casa Grande plant. Obviously it's still a risky investement.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Neptune78

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I get that, but there are a whole lot of nice trucks rolling round that are used to get groceries.

It's surprising how much the pickup has changed since I grew up in one. Now we have an electric that has a good range, a trunk, and can power my home?

Whar the truck nuts?

I agree that there are people who have trucks that don't actually use them for their intended purpose. To expand on my originally comment, I don't think they will sell in an impactful way as electric cars will due to the difference in consumers of a car vs truck.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I've been eyeing some EV's as well. I've been looking at QS and WKHS as possible long term investments. Although, they are both in startup phase, I feel good about long term outlooks. I'll have to add CCIV to my watchlist.
Maybe check out Arrival Group also. Just agreed to make 10k vehicles for UPS.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

My $2000 investment into QS is currently $1020. I haven't sold it. But it's time to start adding to it I think to average it down.

Reactions: deadeyededric

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I agree that there are people who have trucks that don't actually use them for their intended purpose. To expand on my originally comment, I don't think they will sell in an impactful way as electric cars will due to the difference in consumers of a car vs truck.

I drive the **** out of my off-road SUV and if I ever changed vehicles I'd consider a full sized pickup truck. EV's in the "truck" world get me very excited. If you give me the things I love about my SUV, that I continue to drive despite the horrible MPG's, in a package that boasts that MPG dramatically!? I'd be all in!

Now there are some other factors such as impact safety on batteries while in the backcountry and range anxiety due to not being able to just bring a jerry can a fuel with me that would need to be addressed but all doable. Things like can I bring my tailgate generator with and use that as insurance to charge my vehicle?

There are plenty of mall-crawlers and garage-queens out there that would benefit from an EV truck.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
If I were to bet on EV's, I would be betting on suppliers, not manufacturers. Building an automobile is an incredibly difficult and capital intensive task. Technical advantages are expensive to come by and very short lived. History is littered with a plethora of failed car companies. Tesla has had a huge head start and an endless supply of cash and still has never made a dime building cars. Now think about all of it's competitors, especially the lesser capitalized ones. There are countless other places to put one's money that would have a higher risk/reward ratio.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
My $2000 investment into QS is currently $1020. I haven't sold it. But it's time to start adding to it I think to average it down.
I just started adding to mine. I'm down ~20%, but I figure I'll steadily add 5-10 shares monthly and see how I'm sitting EOY/EOY22. GLTU!

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
If I were to bet on EV's, I would be betting on suppliers, not manufacturers. Building an automobile is an incredibly difficult and capital intensive task. Technical advantages are expensive to come by and very short lived. History is littered with a plethora of failed car companies. Tesla has had a huge head start and an endless supply of cash and still has never made a dime building cars. Now think about all of it's competitors, especially the lesser capitalized ones. There are countless other places to put one's money that would have a higher risk/reward ratio.
$MRVL is one of the plays I've had for a few years which I like for the next 10-15. 5G supplier and also supplies components to support the 'self driving' revolution. Sold out on a pop around the first of the year and then bought back in through their $IPHI purchase. The shares I have now are for the long haul.

Reactions: usedcarguy