NFL: ****2021 NFL Off-Season Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
And he’s played behind an elite O line for most of his career also.

And at times elite defense too. Dallas had had talented teams while he's been there and even if you want to use the Jason Garrett was the coach excuse he still never played at a level to justify paying him top 5 money

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Some details on the contract:
Dak made out like a bandit. He'll be eligible for a new contract as soon as 3 years. No trade clause. No tag clause. And he and his agent insisted that the Cowboys use the tag on him this year, so it would be virtually impossible for him to ever be tagged again. He got so much more than most people were expecting.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Washington tagged Cousins 2 years in a row
Yep. A player can be tagged up to 3 times, but the resulting salary would be so far out of whack that it wouldn't be palatable for any team.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Watching Dak bend the Cowboys over a barrel is pretty satisfying. How are they going to have money to be competitive?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Watching Dak bend the Cowboys over a barrel is pretty satisfying. How are they going to have money to be competitive?
They're anticipating a substantial rise in revenues and thus the salary cap, within the next few seasons.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
They're actually saving a good amount on this year's cap, compared to what the franchise tag would have cost them. But going forward, they have to be banking on big increases in salary cap.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
How would be big increases in the cap or for that matter big new TV deals even be possible?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
How would be big increases in the cap or for that matter big new TV deals even be possible?
It's definitely possible, and likely even. I think the league just renewed their TV contract with Disney at a significant increase, and they're in negotiations with the other networks right now. The NFL is still a massive ratings winner and cash cow.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
That is some ridiculous money Dallas paid for Dak. I am hard pressed to consider him a top 10 QB in the league let alone pay him like he is a top 5. Coming off a season ending injury too... Even go back to 2019 and his QB rating was 99.7 was 10th in the league and that was better than some guys I would much rather have over him in Watson and Rodgers that season. I would have loved to seen what kind of offers other teams would have thrown at him had he hit the open market because I doubt he would have got the deal the Cowboys just gave him. He's an above average QB in the league but I don't see him an an elite QB.
I appreciate that we're still referencing Passer Rating on this site. If we're doing that, then all the Vikings fans should be happy they have Cousins for less than top 5 money (he was 4th in passer rating in 2019 and 8th in 2020).

In 2019 Dak was 5th in yards per attempt. He was 27th in number of sacks even though he was 6th in total attempts. He also fumbled only 2 times in nearly 700 plays. He was 4th in ESPN's QBR. He was 3rd in Expected Points Added per play, behind only Mahomes and Lamar Jackson.

Dak Prescott is EASILY a top ten QB.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Not hearing the same outrage about Dak's inflated money that Cousins and the Vikings heard a couple of years ago.

Another thought-- just think what Jerry would do if there wasn't salary cap in the NFL? He'd show the Yankee$ and Dodger$ how it's really done.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Not hearing the same outrage about Dak's inflated money that Cousins and the Vikings heard a couple of years ago.

Another thought-- just think what Jerry would do if there wasn't salary cap in the NFL? He'd show the Yankee$ and Dodger$ how it's really done.
A player is worth what a team is willing to pay him. It's as simple as that. Good on Dak for betting on himself. He could have taken the deal offered last year, and lost out on a massive amount of money.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I appreciate that we're still referencing Passer Rating on this site. If we're doing that, then all the Vikings fans should be happy they have Cousins for less than top 5 money (he was 4th in passer rating in 2019 and 8th in 2020).

In 2019 Dak was 5th in yards per attempt. He was 27th in number of sacks even though he was 6th in total attempts. He also fumbled only 2 times in nearly 700 plays. He was 4th in ESPN's QBR. He was 3rd in Expected Points Added per play, behind only Mahomes and Lamar Jackson.

Dak Prescott is EASILY a top ten QB.

Until Dak proves he can win in the playoffs or even consistently in the regular season there is no way he's a top 5 QB right now. He was 8-8 in 2019, it's not like he has had bad teams either.

In no particular order here's my top 5 QBs in the league:

Rodgers
Mahomes
Wilson
Allen
Watson

my next 2 would be Brady even at his age has been better than Dak and L Jackson. Brees is retiring so he's out of the question now. After that I think the argument can be made is Dak really any better or significantly better than Stafford, Mayfield, D Carr, M Ryan, K Murray, maybe even Tannehill or potentially Herbert too? Most if not all those guys have a lot more to show for results than Dak does. I'm a Chiefs fan so I have no bias or allegiance to any NFC teams but I just don't see the value of signing him to a top 3 QB deal for a guy that has won just 1 playoff game and is borderline top 10 QB in the league. I hope for Cowboys fans sake he proves me wrong but this could be a bad contract if he doesn't take a step forward and take the Cowboys somewhere in the playoffs soon.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I don't care how much Cousins makes he isn't winning you anything. That is the point not the salary.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron