2020 Taxes

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Question for the brilliant and kind experts here.

I have a business expense of $2000 (inventory I bought) that I did not claim on my 2019 taxes. Is it possible to claim it as an expense for the first time on 2020 taxes?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I did use TaxAct this year for the first time. Thought it was easier to use and more streamlined than TurboTax.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Question for the brilliant and kind experts here.

I have a business expense of $2000 (inventory I bought) that I did not claim on my 2019 taxes. Is it possible to claim it as an expense for the first time on 2020 taxes?

Sure, who's really gonna know (except for the people reading this on the internet)

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
Iowa refund deposited today. 4 weeks and a day from filing date. Better than in the past.
Nice!

Your thread bump prompted me to check mine, and I see it is pending deposit today - exactly 31 days after filing.

(Too bad it will be turned right around and sent over to the Feds next month...)

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I did use TaxAct this year for the first time. Thought it was easier to use and more streamlined than TurboTax.
I've been using Taxact for years. This year with schedule K due to my mother passing in 2019 (estate officially distributed in 2020) and the distributions from the various IRAs between her and Dad I decided to go with H&R Block this year.

Cyville55

Oct 10, 2009
Bumpity Bump - Has anyone still not seen their Federal Return yet? I filled a few days before deadline, and the status still hasn't changed on the website other than they have received it?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Bumpity Bump - Has anyone still not seen their Federal Return yet? I filled a few days before deadline, and the status still hasn't changed on the website other than they have received it?

We finally got ours a couple weeks ago. Took almost exactly 12 weeks from date of filing. The website/app said “still processing” for the longest time. It didn’t update to “your return is scheduled for deposit” until 1-2 days before we saw it on our account.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I got my federal return quickly. Still waiting on the Iowa return.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Stupid and probably simple question for our resident CPA's.

Wife and I closed on our first house in July (were renting previously). We have an escrow account. Going to include fake numbers for the sake of math.

We "paid" $1500 at closing (shows as a debit in the "impound" section of closing documents) into escrow for property taxes. We also got our 1098 that shows $1000 of property taxes paid.

When claiming Property Taxes Paid for the year, do I claim the amount we paid into escrow + the amount on the 1098 ($2,500), or just the amount on the 1098 ($1,000)? I've read quite a few places online that you can claim property taxes paid at closing, but the fact that we technically paid that amount into escrow is what's throwing me off.

The problem with posting tax questions during tax season is tax pros generally are very busy at that time lol

So this answer will do you no good since I've sure you've already filed, but I'll answer it anyway for future reference.

The answer is as always "it depends". On your closing statement, how much of your property tax was paid by the seller? Generally speaking in Iowa, the taxes are assessed July 1st and are paid in September and March. So the seller usually pays the accrued portion as part of closing costs.

My assumption in your situation is you probably should not have claimed any property taxes this year because you were reimbursed at the time you purchased the house for the property taxes you paid. You cannot deduct expenses you were reimbursed for.

That being said, if you just deduct what's recorded on your 1098 it's not very likely that you'll get audited. The IRS doesn't really match that up.

Reactions: Agclone91

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron