2020 Taxes

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
You ever hear those ads for tax doctors or such, some guy owed $93,000 to the IRS but settles for $2,000? Makes you wonder why just about everybody voluntarily hands over the full amount owed year after year.
You basically have two options:
Pay your taxes
OR
Destroy your credit

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
My taxes were filed prior to February 12th, the first day they were accepted. My state tax refund arrived today. Less than four weeks is pretty good by the really poor standards of recent years.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
My taxes were filed prior to February 12th, the first day they were accepted. My state tax refund arrived today. Less than four weeks is pretty good by the really poor standards of recent years.
Same! Well, it hasn't been deposited yet, but should be tomorrow or the next day. Pretty happy with that actually.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
So I messed around with 2 websites this year. Tax Slayer and HR Block. Got the same return for Fed on both, but for some reason owed the state an astronomical amount using HR Block, as opposed to a much smaller (still annoying) figure on Tax Slayer's system. I put in all the same info, although HR Block offered State taxes to be filed individually as opposed to jointly, even if you filed jointly for Fed (we did). I was a bit perplexed at the amount of state tax we owed using HR Block, so I went ahead and filed using Tax Slayer. Now that I've filed, I am worried that maybe HR Block was right and I do owe what they say. I wasn't thinking about it at the time, but we used HR Block last year, so they had all the info from 2019 whereas TS did not. Not sure if the difference lies therein somewhere, but has anybody else experienced anything similar?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
So I messed around with 2 websites this year. Tax Slayer and HR Block. Got the same return for Fed on both, but for some reason owed the state an astronomical amount using HR Block, as opposed to a much smaller (still annoying) figure on Tax Slayer's system. I put in all the same info, although HR Block offered State taxes to be filed individually as opposed to jointly, even if you filed jointly for Fed (we did). I was a bit perplexed at the amount of state tax we owed using HR Block, so I went ahead and filed using Tax Slayer. Now that I've filed, I am worried that maybe HR Block was right and I do owe what they say. I wasn't thinking about it at the time, but we used HR Block last year, so they had all the info from 2019 whereas TS did not. Not sure if the difference lies therein somewhere, but has anybody else experienced anything similar?
Could be. Taxable refunds may not be included on the TS side.

Iowa is stupid with the whole federal joint state separately.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Ended up owning the state 32 dollars. Rather do that than have to wait for the 50ish refund I've seen in previous years.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I am encouraging my clients to still get them done by 4/15.
The big boss already sent out an e-mail saying, "Keep working your ass off as if 4/15 is still the date because this isn't official."

Plus MN is stupid as it relates to conformity so if IRS decides to officially put the guidance out next week MN will conform about May 15.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Federal tax deadline for 2021 delayed:

Isn't this kind of necessary when they pushed the filing date back the same amount?

It's not like last year where people had basically half a year to file, everybody is still going to have roughly the typical amount of days available to actually file right?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The big boss already sent out an e-mail saying, "Keep working your ass off as if 4/15 is still the date because this isn't official."

Plus MN is stupid as it relates to conformity so if IRS decides to officially put the guidance out next week MN will conform about May 15.

After 4/15 racing is priority #1 and anyone's taxes will be completed when I have time from priority #1. :)

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Note: Check your individual states to make sure they go along with the same thing so you don't get a nasty surprise letter later for not filing/paying on time.
How do we check if Iowa is going along with it?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron