MLB: ***2020 MLB Season Thread***

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yankees-Phils cancelled for tonight.

Red Sox pitcher dealing with heart problems from COVID at the ripe old age of 27:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...heart-issue-stemming-from-covid-19-infection/

Damn. And if he was a regular Joe and not a multi-million dollar player getting top of the ladder health assessments they probably won't even know he had this risky complication. Hope he just chills and gets healthy and doesn't worry about this joke of an extended playoff season. He's got a great career ahead of him.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I can not believe MLB had such poor protocols in place to handle this. Letting positive test players decide if they should play or not? Are you kidding me? I'm not even that big of a baseball fan but they just jeoporized the whole season.

How many cases has Nascar had? I know the spread is more limited but still having guys around each other in garages. But they are making a non-bubble season work. MLB just can't get out of its own way.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The owners best option was no season at all.

Not putting forth a conspiracy but I bet they pull the plug quickly.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The owners best option was no season at all.

Not putting forth a conspiracy but I bet they pull the plug quickly.

We'll see. The snippet below was pulled from an ESPN column, and it illustrates how easily the outbreak could extend way beyond the Marlins clubhouse. The Marlins could just be the first domino:

Could this impact other teams beyond the Marlins?
The Marlins played in Atlanta before going to Philadelphia. They played three games against the Phillies, occupying the visiting clubhouse at Citizens Bank Park, where the Yankees were due to take up residence Monday. The Marlins were slated to play the Orioles, who, presumably, are already in Miami. The Braves just finished a three-game series against the Mets, on the heels of their exhibition games against the Marlins. The Mets, meanwhile, are headed to Boston to begin a series Monday night at Fenway Park.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I can not believe MLB had such poor protocols in place to handle this. Letting positive test players decide if they should play or not? Are you kidding me? I'm not even that big of a baseball fan but they just jeoporized the whole season.

How many cases has Nascar had? I know the spread is more limited but still having guys around each other in garages. But they are making a non-bubble season work. MLB just can't get out of its own way.

No players that tested positive at the time played. In hindsight the game probably shouldn't have been played but the Phils manager also said they didn't think about not playing.

"But the Phillies never considered not playing. Manager Joe Girardi said he thought the Marlins “followed protocol.” Harper said the Phillies do “all the things the right way to hopefully not contract that.” So they played Sunday, but can’t play Monday." - Philly Inquirer

This isn't going to be the last team case like this, just the first. It's likely to be a hot mess. Contract tracing for the team that plays together and travels together and stays together in the same hotel is going to be a yuge joke.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We'll see. The snippet below was pulled from an ESPN column, and it illustrates how easily the outbreak could extend way beyond the Marlins clubhouse. The Marlins could just be the first domino:

The Marlins played in Atlanta before going to Philadelphia. They played three games against the Phillies, occupying the visiting clubhouse at Citizens Bank Park, where the Yankees were due to take up residence Monday. The Marlins were slated to play the Orioles, who, presumably, are already in Miami. The Braves just finished a three-game series against the Mets, on the heels of their exhibition games against the Marlins. The Mets, meanwhile, are headed to Boston to begin a series Monday night at Fenway Park.

And it is unlikely that the Marlins will be the only "patient zero" this season.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
LMAO and people think we can play a full contact sport with 5x the players and 3x the support staff with players who are in college? The NFL has a 5% better shot than CFB but if the MLB can't do it, there's no ******* chance football can do it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
LMAO and people think we can play a full contact sport with 5x the players and 3x the support staff with players who are in college? The NFL has a 5% better shot than CFB but if the MLB can't do it, there's no ******* chance football can do it.
If done correctly, it's possible. The NBA and NHL are playing in bubbles and have had almost no positive cases within their bubbles (NBA has had two, but now at zero. NHL has had 0)

College football is obviously trickier with players possibly having to go on campus for classes and asking young adults to not be social is extremely tough. Again, it's possible.

NFL has a much higher shot than 5% in getting their season accomplished than CFB though. NFL teams aren't going to be staying in any place longer than the day they play their game. Fly to the game, play the game, leave and go back to your city. Social distance from there and repeat. Fines for those who are caught going places they shouldn't be.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
If done correctly, it's possible. The NBA and NHL are playing in bubbles and have had almost no positive cases within their bubbles (NBA has had two, but now at zero. NHL has had 0)

College football is obviously trickier with players possibly having to go on campus for classes and asking young adults to not be social is extremely tough. Again, it's possible.

NFL has a much higher shot than 5% in getting their season accomplished than CFB though. NFL teams aren't going to be staying in any place longer than the day they play their game. Fly to the game, play the game, leave and go back to your city. Social distance from there and repeat. Fines for those who are caught going places they shouldn't be.

Non-bubble sports just isn't gonna work in America

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
To me the failure was with the MLB not somehow having a protocol to follow. How in the world was it up to a team meeting to decide to keep playing? How can you have this many months to prepare for this and not have a policy where if X number of players test positive in Y amount of time you're all quarantined for 2 weeks.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Non-bubble sports just isn't gonna work in America
If your goal is to completely eliminate COVID, then no. If the goal is to know there is a risk of getting it, but with a great plan, a season is possible, then it theoretically can work.

The MLB messed up though in the first weekend. The NFL and CFB have to look at this and figure out in their plan how they can limit something like this from happening.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
If your goal is to completely eliminate COVID, then no. If the goal is to know there is a risk of getting it, but with a great plan, a season is possible, then it theoretically can work.

The MLB messed up though in the first weekend. The NFL and CFB have to look at this and figure out in their plan how they can limit something like this from happening.

I just don't see how non-bubble can work in these scenarios. By the time you've tested positive, it's too late. You've already exposed everyone in that clubhouse. To me there are two options:

A) Don't let anyone in the "bubble", or
B) Just accept there will be positive tests and move on.

I can't imagine there being a ton of support for the 2nd, nor should there be.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I don’t need a talking head to answer this question for me - at this point it’s already affected the Yankees, Phillies, and Orioles in games postponed (perhaps not to be made up), and now we’re just waiting for those in the Phillies organization to start testing positive.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I don’t need a talking head to answer this question for me - at this point it’s already affected the Yankees, Phillies, and Orioles in games postponed (perhaps not to be made up), and now we’re just waiting for those in the Phillies organization to start testing positive.

Yeah, I know. It was just easier to copy and paste. I think if you're looking at this logically then there should be zero surprise if/when one of those teams experiences an outbreak of their own in the next few days.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I just don't see how non-bubble can work in these scenarios. By the time you've tested positive, it's too late. You've already exposed everyone in that clubhouse. To me there are two options:

A) Don't let anyone in the "bubble", or
B) Just accept there will be positive tests and move on.

I can't imagine there being a ton of support for the 2nd, nor should there be.
Yeah I mean the bubble was created to mitigate the virus, however it's literally removed it. The NBA has done a terrific job in their protocols, as well as the NHL and MLS. That's why the NBA only had two positive tests (now none) and the NHL has had none.

The NBA has contingency plans for guys that do test positive, even during games. That player is removed and must quarantine for 14 days. Everyone is tested and those who test positive do the same. If you test negative you're good to go. However, we haven't seen any of that because of how perfect the bubble has been so far (knock on wood).

The fact of the matter in all of this is that there are going to be positive tests. They're no more invincible to catching the virus than any one of us. Being able to come out healthy on the other side of this is where they do differ given the fact that these guys are some of the most healthy people out there. I think the biggest thing about this MLB scenario is that it happened due to a flaw in their system AS WELL AS it was the first slate of games where this happened.. A month or two from now, there is likely a highly different reaction to all of this.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Yeah, I know. It was just easier to copy and paste. I think if you're looking at this logically then there should be zero surprise if/when one of those teams experiences an outbreak of their own in the next few days.

Perhaps not the Yankees or Orioles as they're staying away from Philadelphia and the Marlins, respectively. But absolutely I expect the Phillies to have their own outbreak now due to the sheer negligence of the Marlins. And, as I said earlier, I expect the Marlins won't be the last team to pull this.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Perhaps not the Yankees or Orioles as they're staying away from Philadelphia and the Marlins, respectively. But absolutely I expect the Phillies to have their own outbreak now due to the sheer negligence of the Marlins. And, as I said earlier, I expect the Marlins won't be the last team to pull this.

I guess I'm just wondering how you can logistically keep going if this happens often. The idea of qualifying for the playoffs is based on having each time have the same number of games. If you have teams having to take extended layoffs I don't know how that happens.

Help Support Us

Become a patron