2012/2013 Player Evaluations

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
These grades are based on each player's overall play through the entire season, not just how they were playing towards the end of the season. I also used other Big 12 players at the same position as a comparison for each player. For instance, I would give Pierre Jackson an A and Ben McLemore an A.
Clyburn- Carried us offensively for big stretches this year, including in the tournament against Ohio State. Looked like a first round pick when he was on. When he was off, like against Iowa, he looked like the dude McDermott wouldn't take unless he redshirted. Was much better defensively than he gets credit for, especially in terms of his versatility on that end.
He isn't an A because- he disappeared offensively for long stretches and averaged 2.6 TO's a game
B+
Ejim- I hate to be hyperbolic, but Ejim played with more effort than just about everybody in college basketball this year. How else do you explain his almost constant double doubles and leading the conference in rebounding despite being undersized? He will always have difficulties on the offensive end creating his own shots and handling the ball, but his effort under the basket won us a few games (think Oklahoma in the Big 12 tournament). If he continues to improve his shooting and plays with the same kind of effort next year there is no doubt he will be an All Big 12 first team type player.
He isn't an A because- he still struggled to finish around the rim and in some late-game situations
B+
Mcgee- The most exciting player we've had in awhile. Best 3-point shooter and sixth man in the country. Played extremely hard on both ends, even when he was struggling defensively. Will be sorely missed next year. Probably should have gotten a few more minutes than he did.
He isn't an A because- He fouled more jump shooters than anybody in the country
B+
Niang- The consistent low post offensive scorer every team wants. When we needed a basket and he was in the game Hoiberg ran a play for Niang almost every time. Doesn't get enough credit for his ability to shoot from the outside. His shooting and ability to stretch the floor allowed us to do the things we did on offense with our spacing and drive and kicks. Defended like an undersized freshman with jumping issues but absolutely dominated defensively out of nowhere against Notre Dame.
He isn't an A because- Rebounding and defense
B+
Babb- Our MVP. Finally starting getting the credit he deserves for what he did for us on the defensive end. More than any other thing we will miss his defensive ability next year. Shot the ball amazingly well towards the end of the season and made more "dagger" type shots than anybody else on the roster. I will never forget him making McGruder and Pledger look like children whenever we played them. Would have beat Ohio State if he played the second half.
He isn't an A because- Had a mild shooting slump to start the year
A-
Lucious- Like Clyburn was very inconsistent offensively. Unlike Clyburn, he didn't have the defensive game to make up for it. 10 and 6 is nothing to complain about for a PG in the end though. Kept us in the Ohio State game with his shooting. Despite some struggles with turnovers and on ball defense, he kept his head up and never lost his confidence.
He isn't an A because- He averaged 3.3 turnovers a game and was a liability on defense because of his size
B-
Palo- Played some of our best basketball with him on the court because of his steadying affect on offense and his on ball defense. Very impressive season from him despite the personal issues and having to join the team during Big 12 play. Exactly what you want from a backup PG and will do a solid job holding down the job until Morris is ready next year.
He isn't an A because- He didn't shoot well and fouled a lot
C+
Gibson- The definition of a sophomore slump. Had some nice games earlier in the year, but lost almost all of his playing time by the end of the year. Starting to think his freshman year was the best we will see from him.
He isn't an A because- Horrible on defense and missed most of the shots he made last year
C-
Booker- Very up and down year. Was a very fun player to watch when he could stay in the game, but didn't do that for the most part because of constant fouling. Continued to shoot the 3 ball ok and rebounded very well. It was great to see him finally figure things out toward the end of the year in a couple games and play awesome for us.
He isn't an A because- Frequent fouls and inconsistency
C+
Hoiberg- We are very very lucky to have Fred at Iowa State. Has improved in about every area since his first year. Even if we take a slight step back next year I have no doubt we will end up in the Sweet 16 and beyond in the next 3-4 years. The best coach I watched this year at diagramming plays out of timeouts and his ability to handle guys like Korie and Booker that struggled mightily at times tells you a lot about his relationship with the players.
He is an A because- He got the most out of the team
A
Overall Team Grade- We were not a 10 seed. There is no doubt in my mind we were one of the top 20 teams in the country, but because we had to improve our chemistry on the go, play a difficult Big 12 schedule, and get royally screwed by refs on 2 or 3 occasions we were relegated to playing a top 5 team in the second round (where he also got royally screwed and unlucky).
Not an A because- The Iowa, Texas Tech, and Texas losses.
A-

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
You think Clyburn was a better defender than KL?
I do, especially on the ball. Korie was good about keeping pressure on PG's but didn't really stay in front against the better ones or contest shots.
Even though Clyburn could be out of position and slow footed, he made up for it with his length for the most part.
What do you think?

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Lucious' on ball pressure was the best I've seen from any PG we've had in a long time.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
As soon as I saw Booker was a C+ and Luscious was a B- I didn't need to read anymore. Good job, good effort!

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
I'm going to go on record as saying Luscious was our fanbase's most underrated player in my opinion.

I thought you were pretty accurate with most of your descriptions...

Babb gets the love he deserves due to his defense (though I thought he played better D last year... yet shot better this year).

Clyburn gets his respect for his scoring and his length is definately an advantage on D... but I agree with the inconsistency comments.

We're all Niang fans due to his passion for the Cyclones and his offensive repertior around the hoop. I knew he shot the 3 well, but I was still shocked when I saw it. But alas... he's still a freshman and I think he's got some room to improve defensively yet.

Ejim - we talk about him like "we all think he's underrated, yet we as Cyclone fans know his value." Honestly... you look at his stats there should be no debate. He was our man in the paint all season long and got it done on both ends of the court.

McGee earned his fan love from his lights out shooting, willingness to come off the bench, and providing non-stop energy on the court.

All of the guys above seem to get the respect they deserve in one way or another. But I think we would have had a completely different season (for the worse) without Luscious this year.

The offense went through him (so of course he's going to get some turnovers) but this team shared the ball so well, and he's one of the better shooting PGs we've had in a long time. He was a very legit threat from 3, pulling a quick handed defender out of the driving lanes. If we could only pick one guy to bring back to next year's team... I think Luscious might be my pick. And that's saying a lot because I'm a huge McGee fan and I've got a lot of respect for the D that Babb brings game in an game out.

Booker obviously fought through a rough patch in the middle of the season... but I respect the guy a ton for fighting through it and working his way back into the lineup at the end of the season. And while he may not have had major in-game minutes for us... it's tough to quantify what he provided for us day in and day out at practice. He's really the only body like that on the team and he is a talented player.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'm going to go on record as saying Luscious was our fanbase's most underrated player in my opinion. .... I think we would have had a completely different season (for the worse) without Luscious this year.

I could see giving a sub-dean's list grade to Lucious because I thought he was a key ingredient the 2011-12 team didn't have, yet he wasn't wall-to-wall dazzling as an experienced PG.

Then I revisit it this way: What might have happened if he wasn't on this year's roster?

colinmalloycram

Mar 24, 2013
I might move Niang up to a A-, considering he was a Freshman this year and how well he responded to a sharp learning curve.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
You think Clyburn was a better defender than KL?

I do when Babb when down in the OSU game Clyburn picked up Thomas and did a great job guarding him and limited him a great deal. Almost all of Thomas' points came before Clyburn started guarding him. As for KL he did have good on the ball defense but killed ISU all year long when the opposing team was on the break KL never picked up the point guard/man with the ball and the opposing team just broke to the basket. I yelled at him all year for this. In the big 12 tourney OU was killing us with this until he went out of the game. I was really glad ISU had KL this year but if he would have picked up the ball on the break he would have been a great player this year.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Naing goes to an A- for me too, don't forget his underrated passing skills both on the block and at the top of the key. This is something I think will be called upon more next year early with less point guard stability.

Clyburn showed what he is capable on D in the last few games of the season but had way too many WTF moments on D where he totally lost his man, the TX game tying 3 by Papa for one.

I don't think Ejim "will always have trouble getting his own shot", he showed in the big 12 and NCAA tourney that he can put the ball on the floor and get to the bucket. I honestly think it was a role thing, he was called on to be the garbage man around the basket and not sit on the perimeter and create. He can, he just doesn't. If this part of his game improves, he will be a great inside-out weapon for us next year.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I do when Babb when down in the OSU game Clyburn picked up Thomas and did a great job guarding him and limited him a great deal. Almost all of Thomas' points came before Clyburn started guarding him. As for KL he did have good on the ball defense but killed ISU all year long when the opposing team was on the break KL never picked up the point guard/man with the ball and the opposing team just broke to the basket. I yelled at him all year for this. In the big 12 tourney OU was killing us with this until he went out of the game. I was really glad ISU had KL this year but if he would have picked up the ball on the break he would have been a great player this year.

Clyburn played his best defense of year in NCAAs. He had been soft before that. KL's defense improved also. We finally decided to play team defense. Georges also played smart defense.

Melvin- A-, Georges- B+, Will- B+, Babb- B, KL- B, Tyrus - B. When you have six pretty much equal players, it is hard for individuals to score As. We had six very good players.
Book, Percy, Bubu were B-

Last edited:

TurbulentEddie

Nov 16, 2012
Madison, WI
Clyburn did a decent job defending bigger, slower players with his length (Isiah Austin comes to mind), but he didn't have the quickness to defend guards quite as well as KL. Not too far off, though.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If yall are giving percy a B- or better, I want you to grade all my tests and homework.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Babb had a good year, but I don't see where people consider him to be our MVP and our best player this year.

I thought Ejim probably had the best year of anyone, followed closely by Niang and McGee IMO.