1st Trip to el bait

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Friday I'll be at el bait shop in Des Moines for the first time. Well, first time for more than a quick taste and run.

I have a really tough time picking what to drink when there are more than 20 taps - let alone 180! I would like to try things that I haven't had. Here's my untappd profile for reference https://untappd.com/user/CYdK1CK

I'm an IPA and stout guy - my wife likes stouts and barley wines. I am open to other things as well. Do they serve flights?

Here's the beer menu at the moment http://elbaitshop.com/beer-menu/

I'll be going to Confluence and 515, so no need to recommend anything from there since I'll be sampling all kinds of stuff at the source.

So, I need your help! I'll check this thread on Friday before I stop in. Give me some recommendations!

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
You're probably going to get 20+ responses of different kinds of beer, so prepare your bank account and liver.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
When I go to places I've never been and they have beers I've never tried before, I usually ask about flight options. My first reaction is to choose from local beer that I probably won't have a chance to try unless I'm in that town again, then go from there. I've only beeen to EBS once, and if I remember, they had a bunch of pre-designed flights on the back of their menu.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I haven't ordered one in quite a while - but El Bait used to do flights. We were just there Sunday and I'm pretty sure I saw them carrying some around.

The nice thing is they have menus at the tables, so it's not like you have to sit the bar and scan the taps looking for something good. And the menu is grouped to very general categories. And I've never been there where the server wasn't pretty on top of what was on tap. Staff is almost always excellent - just ask.

Weren't full-on drinking on our trip - but had both the left hand IPA's. Both were good, but you've probably had those.

FYI - you'll be about 6 blocks from Madhouse Brewery over on Scott St to the southeast. I'm not a huge fan, but it's pretty good. May as well since you're clearly on tour.... :wink:

And at the same time - I'm NOT a fan of Exile, but they're about 10 blocks to the west of El Bait and not a far cry from Confluence. Was there last week and had their Dark Chech Lager. Not bad. But food is really good IMO (Italian Stallion w/ fries, or Father Guido Sarduchi). So may be another worthwhile stop if you need eats.

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I would say the secret to El Bait Shop is going there when it's not that busy, and bouncing your taste off the employees. There's a CFer who works there and knows his beer, and he'll steer you in the right direction. Most of the employees will, in my experience.

When it's not as full, you can straight up just look over the actual taps there. I wouldn't start with the menu, because they seem to rotate inventory so fast that it's rarely accurate.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I would say the secret to El Bait Shop is going there when it's not that busy, and bouncing your taste off the employees. There's a CFer who works there and knows his beer, and he'll steer you in the right direction. Most of the employees will, in my experience.

When it's not as full, you can straight up just look over the actual taps there. I wouldn't start with the menu, because they seem to rotate inventory so fast that it's rarely accurate.

Looking to be there in the early afternoon - appreciate the tip! Hopefully it won't be too crazy for an early Friday afternoon, but we'll make it work. I need a CF shirt to draw attention :smile:

I'm hitting up TG's taproom Tuesday night and then continuing up to Surly (and others) later in the week. Can't wait!

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
My advice is to pick a beer prior to going, or the flight thing. Then you have a beer while reviewing the rest of your options and your staff member won't have to go through the whole menu to get started. Since I'm not a big IPA guy I can't help you out, but you might want to plan if you want to go bitter to ***-pucker or the opposite. I don't like taste roller coasters myself.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Looking to be there in the early afternoon - appreciate the tip! Hopefully it won't be too crazy for an early Friday afternoon, but we'll make it work. I need a CF shirt to draw attention :smile:

I'm hitting up TG's taproom Tuesday night and then continuing up to Surly (and others) later in the week. Can't wait!

Sounds like some great beer trips. If you're at El Bait shop before 3:30 or so, I'd imagine it will be pretty navigable.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Oh, and get the bacon-wrapped tators from the High Life menu. You also can't be the broiled chicken or pizza burger.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014

According to the waiter we had Sunday, they just rotated last week.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Friday I'll be at el bait shop in Des Moines for the first time.

I have a really tough time picking what to drink when there are more than 20 taps - let alone 180! I would like to try things that I haven't had. Here's my untappd profile for reference https://untappd.com/user/CYdK1CK

I'm an IPA and stout guy - my wife likes stouts and barley wines. I am open to other things as well. Do they serve flights?

Here's the beer menu at the moment http://elbaitshop.com/beer-menu/

I'll be going to Confluence and 515, so no need to recommend anything from there since I'll be sampling all kinds of stuff at the source.

So, I need your help! I'll check this thread on Friday before I stop in. Give me some recommendations!

I follow you on untappd and you've tried a lot of things. I would just try something that you haven't had.

El Bait Shop is the best bar I've ever been in for craft beer but for people like us that always want to try something brand new I'd actually be more excited about checking out 515 if you haven't had their beers. They've really been knocking it out of the park.

I do see a couple that you may not have had from looking at your list.
Great Divide Yeti
Mikkeler Beer Geek Breakfast (Be careful)
Surly Todd the Axeman (You've had it but have more)
Sometimes it's not on the menu but they some times have beer from the Rock Bottom, which is really good.

Reactions: huntt26

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
You like stouts and IPAs... Definitely try the Boulder Mojo IPA on Nitro. You get the texture and mouth feel of guiness with all of the refreshing hop characteristics of the IPA... One of my all time favorites. (I added a gas mixer and nitro tank to my keezer specifically to do nitro IPAs...)

Reactions: huntt26

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I really need to make another trip down... The one time I was there, I literally tried to order 4 beers that they were out of. Getting my 5th choice was a bust since I rushed it so I could get a beer with my friends.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
You are all very helpful, I appreciate it. I haven't been many places where the servers know what's on tap and what to expect. Will be a whole new world!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron