12-16 CF Mailbag is Done

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
1) Dark Knight - very good, but I think we put too much stock in the films made closer to the end of the decade because we remember them more.
2) Gran Turino? I'd venture to say that doesn't make the top five of Eastwood's movies this decade after Invictus is released.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
1) Dark Knight - very good, but I think we put too much stock in the films made closer to the end of the decade because we remember them more.
2) Gran Turino? I'd venture to say that doesn't make the top five of Eastwood's movies this decade after Invictus is released.

I agree, Chris's choice seem a little skewed to what he saw most recently, although both are very good in their own right.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I actually did some research the that question. I Googled "best movies of the 2000's" and looked at some site's top 200. Seriously, those were my favorite.

Eastwood was a bad, bad man in Gran TOrino. Love that flick.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I like The Dark Knight as a pick. I like it because it has the best performance from an actor I have ever seen. If Ledger wouldn't have done a such a great job it may have been just mediocre. I really did not like Chrisitan Bales robot voice as Batman. Just something about it. Gran Turino? meh, it was good, but I like a lot of movies better. One movie I loved that wasn't mentioned much is Lucky number Slevin. I thought that was a great movie that doesn't get much play.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I actually did some research the that question. I Googled "best movies of the 2000's" and looked at some site's top 200. Seriously, those were my favorite.

Eastwood was a bad, bad man in Gran TOrino. Love that flick.

Wow, I'm actually impressed you bothered to do that. Kudos.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

The new Eastwood (79 and clicking) directed movie out now is suppose to be one of his best.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
which sports moment from a movie would you most like to be at? does it have to be a fictional movie? Because I would want to be in Lake Placid for the end of Miracle when they beat the Russians.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
For me Gran Turino was this - Clint Eastwood was, well, Clint Eastwood - ******* awesome. The rest of the characters (the Mung family for example) were very poor actors. They wanted an authentic Mung family and traded that in for acting ability.
Dark Knight - I agree, Ledger's performance was off the charts. But take him away and what do you have? Now, I understand, it's not fair to judge a movie based on the best character being removed. I just found myself thinking after the movie, "damn I wish there was more Ledger in it."
But then, I had the same thought after Brokeback Mountain, what do I know?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Dark Knight - I agree, Ledger's performance was off the charts. But take him away and what do you have? Now, I understand, it's not fair to judge a movie based on the best character being removed. I just found myself thinking after the movie, "damn I wish there was more Ledger in it."

OMG...that is great!

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
For me Gran Turino was this - Clint Eastwood was, well, Clint Eastwood - ******* awesome. The rest of the characters (the Mung family for example) were very poor actors. They wanted an authentic Mung family and traded that in for acting ability.

I couldn't get past that terrible accent he used in Brokeback. Couldn't understand half of what he said, it was like watching a movie starring Boomhauer.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I fell in love watching that movie...
With Anne Hathaway.
Then I rented Havoc...
And I fell more in love.

Well yes, it is, or at least should be, widely acknowledged that Anne Hathaway topless is the reason to see that movie. Minus that and the "controversial subject matter" I have no idea why it received all the attention it did.

Last edited: