#11 Memphis @ #7 Oklahoma State

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
This is why I dont think we can just crown Kansas right now.

Also this was a very strange game.

Also why is it the lighting in their arena or why does hilton seem so so so much brighter?

SouthTulsaPoke

Nov 14, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Ridiculous amount of empty seats in GIA. Looks really bad, especially for a matchup between #7 and #11.
College Gameday is coming to town on Saturday. We only have so many dollars and so many hours to give. When we're done with the most important sport, we'll turn out for the number 2 sport.

Besides, the game was an official sell out. Just a lot of corporate seats not filled, and such.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
So the popular opinion is that Travis Ford isn't a good coach. Does he get any credit for Smart's improvements in shooting during the off-season or is that just good work ethic?

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
College Gameday is coming to town on Saturday. We only have so many dollars and so many hours to give. When we're done with the most important sport, we'll turn out for the number 2 sport.

Besides, the game was an official sell out. Just a lot of corporate seats not filled, and such.

C'mon, you can do better than that. "Most important sport"?

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames

I thought the attendance looked good, the empty seat were sprinkled throughout those sections.
Congrats on your team. If they continue to play like that they will be fun to watch come March. I'll root for Okie St when we don't have to play them.

SouthTulsaPoke

Nov 14, 2011
Tulsa, OK
C'mon, you can do better than that. "Most important sport"?
Which sport pays the bills? Which sport draws the biggest crowds?

In Oklahoma and Texas, football is king. Basketball is what you do while waiting for the Spring Game. If somebody told you that you could either win a Football national championship, or a basketball national championship, which would most choose.

Football by a long shot.

The hope around here is to win a second football championship, and then take care of business in the other sports, including cross country, basketball and wrestling, all of which we're rated in the Top Ten.

But football is the most important in Stillwater.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames

Which sport pays the bills? Which sport draws the biggest crowds?

In Oklahoma and Texas, football is king. Basketball is what you do while waiting for the Spring Game. If somebody told you that you could either win a Football national championship, or a basketball national championship, which would most choose.

Football by a long shot.

The hope around here is to win a second football championship, and then take care of business in the other sports, including cross country, basketball and wrestling, all of which we're rated in the Top Ten.

But football is the most important in Stillwater.

I don't understand how a Saturday football game affects a Tuesday basketball game.

I didn't watch the game (wish I could have), so I didn't see the attendance. It was maybe at an acceptable level. But don't feed me this line about how it is football season, and basketball doesn't matter yet.

Even if ISU had a top 10 football team :)wideeyed:), they would still show for a Tuesday basketball game against a ranked opponent. Because the two don't conflict.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I don't understand how a Saturday football game affects a Tuesday basketball game.

I didn't watch the game (wish I could have), so I didn't see the attendance. It was maybe at an acceptable level. But don't feed me this line about how it is football season, and basketball doesn't matter yet.

Even if ISU had a top 10 football team :)wideeyed:), they would still show for a Tuesday basketball game against a ranked opponent. Because the two don't conflict.

Agree with all of this. And the comment he made about people preferring a football championship over basketball by a long shot isn't true. At least not with ISU fans.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
I just saw some of the highlights, and from those the attendance looked fine. Not ideal, but much better than what people made it sound like. Maybe the attendance was just late arriving? Or the highlights didn't do a good job showing the crowd?

The point I made about football still stands

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha

What are you talking about? Golf season ended a while ago.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Think you gotta guard Smart by committee.... If Kane fouls out, we're in trouble against OSU but at the same token, I don't know who else you put up against him, Naz will get pushed around, Hogue is probably too slow. He's a matchup nightmare for any team out there.

Hogue actually may be able to guard him pretty well. Maybe not as quick as Smart, but his longer reach will enable him to play off him a bit. I think Hogue is definitely strong enough. If he guards Smart though, who guards their bigs?

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

If ISU had a 1-8 football team, they would still show for the football game on Saturday, AND a Tuesday basketball game against a NON-RANKED opponent.