When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 132 18.1%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 173 23.7%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 375 51.4%

• Total voters

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I’ve not tried it with a super charger but it will self park. You can select a spot in a parking lot or have it parallel. I also think you can have it leave the parking spot and come pick you up (like valet).

Legally? I thought that someone still had to be in the driver seat in most states.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I hate to admit this because people will be " this is why I won't buy an EV". I left my mother's house in northern Iowa and it said that I could drive to Albert Lee to be safe and charge, which was 20 miles out of our way. Instead, I took the risk and drove to Dows, which said we'd arrive with 8% and that's the route we took and we arrived with 7%, after driving 79mph. I'm not a risk taker, so I was sweating this for a few minutes. The lovely thing is that when the battery is that low, the charge is lightning fast.
I've found the range estimate on Tesla's navigation screen is pretty accurate. I wouldn't even have been concerned about showing up with just under 10%

Reactions: dmclone

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I’ve already thought through that problem. I have a flashlight with a crank on it to charge electronics in an emergency. I’m just going to put that in the car. I figure if I run out of juice, I’ll just crank for a bit until I can get to a charging station.

Reactions: nrg4isu

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
EVs are a lot better fit for some than for others. If I did a lot of highway driving and weekend road trips we would not have gotten one. When we drive up to the lake or down to Ames we’ll take our gas SUV. But the Tesla is a perfect day to day car in the city.

People get bent out of shape about this which I don’t understand. It’s no different than me telling someone that benefits from a pick up truck that I would never buy one. I just have no use for it. Or a similarly a minivan. Great if you have 3 kids but pointless if you have none/one.

No one should feel like they’re offending an EV driver for saying “it wouldn’t work for me because of my driving habits and the availability of charging stations”. Similarly, no EV driver should be defensive if they hear someone say that.

What nobody realizes until they try it…is the convenience of almost never having to go to a gas/charge station if you have an outlet at home. Leaving your home on “Full” almost permanently.

I’m guessing charging at home is more convenient for 95% of people than pumping gas, pretty much everyone who drives less than 800 miles a week, but they won’t ever know until they experience it. Even having a phev myself going to get gas every 45-60 days or so seems like some massive chore and expense now where previously I was going every 3-4 days. I knew high gas prices were an expense but didn’t realize it was also a hassle.

It’s easy for people to imagine the hassle of a 30-40 minute charge on a long road trip, but difficult for them to understand the every single day convenience…or even in that road trip at least knowing they’re leaving home on full.

It truly is like rewinding a vhs to physically return to Blockbuster vs streaming a movie.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
FSD cost going from 12k to 8k ahead of TSLA earnings call

Still way too high unless a person thinks Tesla is going to raise the monthly subscription. You can buy it monthly for 80 months. I could see subscribing for a few months, if I was doing a lot of driving. It will be interesting to see how many people pay the $99

Reactions: WhoISthis

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
What nobody realizes until they try it…is the convenience of almost never having to go to a gas/charge station if you have an outlet at home. Leaving your home on “Full” almost permanently.

I’m guessing charging at home is more convenient for 95% of people than pumping gas, pretty much everyone who drives less than 800 miles a week, but they won’t ever know until they experience it. Even having a phev myself going to get gas every 45-60 days or so seems like some massive chore and expense now where previously I was going every 3-4 days. I knew high gas prices were an expense but didn’t realize it was also a hassle.

It’s easy for people to imagine the hassle of a 30-40 minute charge on a long road trip, but difficult for them to understand the every single day convenience…or even in that road trip at least knowing they’re leaving home on full.

It truly is like rewinding a vhs to physically return to Blockbuster vs streaming a movie.
I go to the gas station twice a month and it takes 5 minutes, also how many people are driving 800 miles a week?

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA

The challenge I see is fleet/company vehicles, like what I drive. For a few reasons:
  1. Under no circumstances would I (or anyone I know of in the same boat) pay out of my own pocket to charge my work vehicle. Of course there are workarounds for this issue.
  2. I do frequently drive over 800m a week (mostly for work). As I've posted previously, a vehicle with a true 600 mile range would satisfy about 98% of my use. Anything currently on the market would to turn most of my "1 day down and back" trips into overnight stays.
Solve those two and I would have no reluctance to an EV being my primary (work) vehicle.

Another challenge is not everyone can garage or have dedicated spots for overnight charging. (apartments)

I do wholeheartedly agree on your points for those if the above does not apply.

Reactions: BigCyFan

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The challenge I see is fleet/company vehicles, like what I drive. For a few reasons:
  1. Under no circumstances would I (or anyone I know of in the same boat) pay out of my own pocket to charge my work vehicle. Of course there are workarounds for this issue.
  2. I do frequently drive over 800m a week (mostly for work). As I've posted previously, a vehicle with a true 600 mile range would satisfy about 98% of my use. Anything currently on the market would to turn most of my "1 day down and back" trips into overnight stays.
Solve those two and I would have no reluctance to an EV being my primary (work) vehicle.

Another challenge is not everyone can garage or have dedicated spots for overnight charging. (apartments)

I do wholeheartedly agree on your points for those if the above does not apply.

That's really my point. People notice this stuff PASSIONATELY. They notice it even if it doesn't apply to them at all (I believe you it applies to you). In these discussions in the thread it seems half of us are driving 60,000 miles a year and over 1000 miles many days. It's just not realistic for people in general.

Who doesn't realize that EVs are more convenient? The guy who commutes under 100 miles a day and has his own garage and will NEVER again be late to work because he has to stop and get gas and forgot his car was on E. He'll also get home from work faster many nights because he'll never have to stop and get gas. This is just never brought up at all and 100% of the people I know who go EV or even PHEV all notice it immediately. People didn't know Blockbuster video was a hassle, then one day it was.

Even somebody who has a 150 mile daily commute is going to find an EV more convenient so long as they park somewhere they can charge at night. You really have to got to professional full time driver for it to be less convenient.

I've been a Chicago/LA street parker and a Chicago/LA have my own personal metered garage/spot, that's a drastic quality of life change even before getting into EV/ICE debate. I hope anybody who parks on the street realizes the obvious differences in 2024 when they purchase a car, that they won't get that convenience and an EV would obviously be an inconvenience in terms of a 5 minute fuel up vs a 30 minute fuel up at a fast charger, but I see a time in the future that this person taking their car to a charging point won't be wildly different than going to gas up. I have been disappointed seeing some apartment complexes in LA where they are new or newly remodeled and the private spaces don't have electrical ports let alone chargers, how that isn't now required by law during a remodel/construction of commercially rented property in a city like LA blows my mind. I see some of it but nowhere near what should be a pretty universal thing.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
That's really my point. People notice this stuff PASSIONATELY. They notice it even if it doesn't apply to them at all (I believe you it applies to you). In these discussions in the thread it seems half of us are driving 60,000 miles a year and over 1000 miles many days. It's just not realistic for people in general.

Who doesn't realize that EVs are more convenient? The guy who commutes under 100 miles a day and has his own garage and will NEVER again be late to work because he has to stop and get gas and forgot his car was on E. He'll also get home from work faster many nights because he'll never have to stop and get gas. This is just never brought up at all and 100% of the people I know who go EV or even PHEV all notice it immediately. People didn't know Blockbuster video was a hassle, then one day it was.

Even somebody who has a 150 mile daily commute is going to find an EV more convenient so long as they park somewhere they can charge at night. You really have to got to professional full time driver for it to be less convenient.

I've been a Chicago/LA street parker and a Chicago/LA have my own personal metered garage/spot, that's a drastic quality of life change even before getting into EV/ICE debate. I hope anybody who parks on the street realizes the obvious differences in 2024 when they purchase a car, that they won't get that convenience and an EV would obviously be an inconvenience in terms of a 5 minute fuel up vs a 30 minute fuel up at a fast charger, but I see a time in the future that this person taking their car to a charging point won't be wildly different than going to gas up. I have been disappointed seeing some apartment complexes in LA where they are new or newly remodeled and the private spaces don't have electrical ports let alone chargers, how that isn't now required by law during a remodel/construction of commercially rented property in a city like LA blows my mind. I see some of it but nowhere near what should be a pretty universal thing.
The practical challenge of requiring properties to have charging stations is it would drive up the cost of the housing.

I would dare say significantly increase by the time you calculated in all the infrastructure it would require to execute a mandate. I would conservatively(!) spitball $5-10K just for the cost to add a port to a single parking spot, not considering any infrastructure needs. That might not seem like a lot, but now extrapolate that to say 20 parking spots, and I would almost guarantee 20 spots would require an infrastructure investment too. Now extrapolate that further across an entire city like LA.

Don't take this as a poo-poo of the technology by any means, because I agree completely with the premise.

Reactions: BigCyFan

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
No one should feel like they’re offending an EV driver for saying “it wouldn’t work for me because of my driving habits and the availability of charging stations”. Similarly, no EV driver should be defensive if they hear someone say that.
You're 100% right on this. The only thing I would add is that a lot of the things I was worried about before buying one, have turned into non-issues. While things I never thought about, I should have.

If someone would have told me last year at this time that 95% of my charging would be done at home, it would have put less stress on buying an EV.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
You're 100% right on this. The only thing I would add is that a lot of the things I was worried about before buying one, have turned into non-issues. While things I never thought about, I should have.

If someone would have told me last year at this time that 95% of my charging would be done at home, it would have put less stress on buying an EV.
I am having same experience. I thought for sure we were going to need to install the home wall charger. After 5 months of driving, we’re realizing the simple home adapter (plugged into regular outlet on our garage) is more than sufficient to support our daily driving habits.

Will probably do a couple of longer trips this summer (e.g. driving north to the lake) so will get a better sense for highway driving.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Still way too high unless a person thinks Tesla is going to raise the monthly subscription. You can buy it monthly for 80 months. I could see subscribing for a few months, if I was doing a lot of driving. It will be interesting to see how many people pay the $99

At least it’s not complete vaporware now. Tesla got a nice $2+ billion on selling rights to future software so far away the hardware wasn’t compatible. Like paying for 5G on a iPhone 2.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The practical challenge of requiring properties to have charging stations is it would drive up the cost of the housing.

I would dare say significantly increase by the time you calculated in all the infrastructure it would require to execute a mandate. I would conservatively(!) spitball $5-10K just for the cost to add a port to a single parking spot, not considering any infrastructure needs. That might not seem like a lot, but now extrapolate that to say 20 parking spots, and I would almost guarantee 20 spots would require an infrastructure investment too. Now extrapolate that further across an entire city like LA.

Don't take this as a poo-poo of the technology by any means, because I agree completely with the premise.

I don't think it would be some massive cost on new construction. It's not like people fight building a house that can use a washing/dryer machine. At some point in the distant past I'm sure if flipped where buyers would expect any new house could use modern appliances, this will probably be the same for new homes.

Retrofitting a remodel I think can be pretty significant. Seems kind of random luck if your home is easy or difficult. Any home with any outlet can charge at least slowly at home though. My neighbors with a Kia Niro just use a regular outlet, for them it's enough (for my phev it's easily enough). I need to ask the neighbors with a Tesla since they have identical unites. 10 units and 4 of us have EV or PHEV.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
I am having same experience. I thought for sure we were going to need to install the home wall charger. After 5 months of driving, we’re realizing the simple home adapter (plugged into regular outlet on our garage) is more than sufficient to support our daily driving habits.

Will probably do a couple of longer trips this summer (e.g. driving north to the lake) so will get a better sense for highway driving.
Charging on 110v outlet is a nightmare. Not sure how you're doing that lol.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I don't think it would be some massive cost on new construction. It's not like people fight building a house that can use a washing/dryer machine. At some point in the distant past I'm sure if flipped where buyers would expect any new house could use modern appliances, this will probably be the same for new homes.

Retrofitting a remodel I think can be pretty significant. Seems kind of random luck if your home is easy or difficult. Any home with any outlet can charge at least slowly at home though. My neighbors with a Kia Niro just use a regular outlet, for them it's enough (for my phev it's easily enough). I need to ask the neighbors with a Tesla since they have identical unites. 10 units and 4 of us have EV or PHEV.
Yes new construction the costs would be significantly lower. Retrofitting/remodeling on the other hand can be a whole can of worms when it comes to electrical service. (I am a 'former' electrician). The cost of the components isn't all that significant, but the labor and all the activities needed to get a wire from point A to B in a remodel could be prohibitive. Another thing to consider here though is 'running an extension cord out the window' isn't a scalable (nor safe) permanent solution.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I could see it working for a lot of people actually, especially if they know they have a nearby fast charger in a rare pinch. Most area’t going from E to F every day.

My neighbors are doing that with a Niro.

If someone had even slow charging while at work it would definitely be enough.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I never considered not getting the garage charger but if I look at our use, it would have probably worked. I assume 110 would give you at least 40 miles in a 12 hour period.

Reactions: nrg4isu

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
I could see it working for a lot of people actually, especially if they know they have a nearby fast charger in a rare pinch. Most area’t going from E to F every day.

My neighbors are doing that with a Niro.

If someone had even slow charging while at work it would definitely be enough.
We were in a rental house while our new house was being finished. For 2 months, when I first got my Rivian I had to use a 110v and I work from home.

It SUCKED.

My lvl2 charger is much, much better, and I pay less than 3 cents a kwh to charge overnight.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
We only drive it about 25 miles a day. So if we plug in at night it’s topped off again by morning.

If we run it down we hit the Tesla super charger at nearby Target while we’re buying groceries.