2024 NCAA Tournament Thread

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024
I don't know if the refs should've called it or not, I won't make that determination. But looking at the movement from Edwards, she was moving and not set. Marshall clearly sold it well, so I'll say that those thinking that shouldn't have been called in that moment have a point, but Edwards was definitely not set.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
They are the absolute definition of classless on the court. Their flopping on every single play offense and defense makes it impossible to actual root for them.
They are 100% dirty classless players, period!

CC is horrible at acting like every common foul kills her. The rest of them aren’t really like that. They have been playing great team basketball.

You can’t put the bogus call on Iowa role players.

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024
I don't know if the refs should've called it or not, I won't make that determination. But looking at the movement from Edwards, she was moving and not set. Marshall clearly sold it well, so I'll say that those thinking that shouldn't have been called in that moment have a point, but Edwards was definitely not set.

And I also believe this too lol.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I mean then call almost any screen. Hardly any of those around the arc are set. It’s become like palming in basketball. Pretty much everyone many years ago started palming while dribbling that officials and leagues realized it had to be allowed as it wasn’t going anywhere and made the game better. If you expect set screens to be perfect then everyone is fouling out ten minutes in. You call it when it’s egregiously late or the player throws excessive force with the shoulder or knee.

mcmcmcly

Sep 20, 2011
Denver
For the uninitiated there are 3 rules for WBB officiating:
1. When in doubt? Jump Ball
2. There is always and "extra" step when starting a drive to the basket from the perimeter
3. Screens are illegal until proven otherwise

No moment is too big or too small for these rules to be applied. It seems like a conspiracy when you watch any single game but it's just a part of the culture of WBB that is evolving a little slower than what the players are doing on the court.

Hopefully it improves in time for the Audi/Addy final four run :cool:

Reactions: Gunnerclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That’s the problem. Stuelke and Martin won that game for them. But it will just be all about Caitlin. Want to grow the game? Well there are plenty of really good players. Caitlin can and should be the focal point because of what she does, but she’s leaving in 2 days. Then what women’s college basketball?
Clark sets up Stuelke at a level you don’t often see in college bb.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

The woman that set the screen knew what could happen and purposefully over embellished the perfect screen that would be shown on a coaching dvd about setting screens so they couldn’t call anything, and they called it.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Right when the foul happened, I said this replay better show a blatant foul or that official has ruined this game and screwed UConn out of a chance to win.

Definition of rigged. They know what the numbers will be if Iowa makes the title game, and there’s definitely an incentive to make that happen.

Makes one wonder if they already know who is going to win the championship game too. So anti-climatic. Just sucked all the enjoyment of that game right out.

• Dumb
Reactions: michaelrr1

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Clark sets up Stuelke at a level you don’t often see in college bb.
Not as much tonight. Hannah was getting ball dumped in from everyone tonight and she went to work around the rim. It was mostly her tonight with proper first steps, sealing well and crafty footwork. Martin made some just clutch shots down the stretch.

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024
I mean then call almost any screen. Hardly any of those around the arc are set. It’s become like palming in basketball. Pretty much everyone many years ago started palming while dribbling that officials and leagues realized it had to be allowed as it wasn’t going anywhere and made the game better. If you expect set screens to be perfect then everyone is fouling out ten minutes in. You call it when it’s egregiously late or the player throws excessive force with the shoulder or knee.
I won't disagree. I'm not knowledgeable enough to make a call one way or another about it. Edwards seemed to get in a bit late (seemed to slide into position as Marshall was getting there), so if I were the official, that's the reasoning I would use. But in the end, I don't know how you decide what can be called at what points in the game. Refs have to decide that and get better at consistency around it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
CC is horrible at acting like every common foul kills her. The rest of them aren’t really like that. They have been playing great team basketball.

You can’t put the bogus call on Iowa role players.

You see players try to exaggerate a bit to get calls all the time, but i'm not sure i've seen someone who does so much to sell fouls after they've already gotten the whistle. Almost to try to garner more calls in the future for poor abused Caitlin.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Foul. Has to be called. UConnFoul.jpg

cal-cyclone

Dec 8, 2022
It is an odd thing to kind of hedge on wanting a team from our state to have great success. I know we are supposed to hate anything hawkeye, but I don't really feel that way. It is more about the individual players.

Most of us just think C Clark is a selfish whiner, all be it immensely talented. I think it is a lot easier to root for the every day / less fawned over / more lunch pail players. I want Kate, Hanna, and Gabby to have success. I am ready for C Clark to move on, and the circus that surrounds her.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Not as much tonight. Hannah was getting ball dumped in from everyone tonight and she went to work around the rim. It was mostly her tonight with proper first steps, sealing well and crafty footwork. Martin made some just clutch shots down the stretch.

Her intensity when attacking was on a different level. Very coordinated, fluid and under control as well. Final Four MVP material.

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
It is an odd thing to kind of hedge on wanting a team from our state to have great success. I know we are supposed to hate anything hawkeye, but I don't really feel that way. It is more about the individual players.

Most of us just think C Clark is a selfish whiner, all be it immensely talented. I think it is a lot easier to root for the every day / less fawned over / more lunch pail players.
Which, of course, is UConn.

With their, what, 11 titles?

End ESPN got busted helping them recruit?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron