On That Note: Which Way You Going, Billy?

Cupped

Feb 11, 2016
Paul McCartney/Wings, Rock Show

You've Got Rock And Roll
At The Hollywood Bowl,
We'll Be There . . . . . . Oo Yeah . . . . . . .

Saw Bob Dylan and The Band at the Hollywood Bowl. I saw him 3-4 other times since and it just was never the same...

Reactions: MeanDean

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
"Tuscon to Tucumcari",...and about 20 towns on the road to Tuscon.

Parents honeymooned in Winnipeg because it was closer than Grand Forks. Rolled around Manitoba and Saskatchewan visiting relatives.

Heard this song on the PA at Hy Vee yesterday. I don't whether to be happy or sad..

Saw Jack Benny in the Safari Room(I think!) in 1970.

Cupped

Feb 11, 2016
Wow you guys have been many places I haven't! I have a picture somewhere of the weather channel from a motel room up the river in Bullhead City that sez: High 136, Low 109. I cannot imagine living in Needles but I've been through there many times.

Three Dog Night, Never Been to Spain

Well, I've never been to England
But I kinda like the Beatles
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Great topic! I heard a new (to me) Turnpike Troubadour song about the Illinois River yesterday and it make an obscure reference to the very small town of Beardstown, IL which I visited for work several times years ago. Also makes references to Pekin and Alton

Well, we dropped a man off in Beardstown
When we got off yesterday
Gonna get off down in Alton
On a long hot summer day

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I remember when this song was released summer of 1997. I would be mixing feed on the farm and the song would come across Rock 108 (107.9 out of Waterloo for the uninitiated). It would move me to tears every single time. Still does.

It moved me to tears for a few reasons. First, the story of the Five Sullivan Brothers is just really powerful and always hit me in the feels.

Second, my dad died in 1995, and I remember he and I once talking about the Five Sullivan Brothers movie that would play on t.v. the occasional Sunday afternoon. One scene in the movie that made me laugh, and I remember telling my dad about which in turn made him laugh, was the scene when the boys got caught smoking corn silk behind the shed. The dad decided he needed to teach the boys a lesson so he invited them into the parlor and gave them all cigarettes (maybe they were cigars) and told them all about how they were now men and need to smoke like men. He taught them how to inhale deeply and such which resulted in all five getting sick and throwing up. My dad, the heavy smoker that he was, found that really entertaining, and I always think of him when I hear the song.

Third, summer of 1997 was a really hard summer for me personally. I graduated college, had a dead end job, and had no idea what I was going to do. Looking back it is clear to me now that I was depressed. It didn't take much to make me cry I guess.

Anyway:

It's not hard to reach back to the day
Underneath that Iowa sun
Running to the tower of Waterloo
Looking for the Sullivan's train to come....

• Friendly
Reactions: bawbie and MeanDean

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I recently got my haircut in Denver., Colorado

happy to say I'm currently living in Denver.

"For some the end of miles is Denver, Colorado"

Last edited:

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Finally made it to South Dakota for the first time this month. I didn't do any of the things Liz Phair sings about. NSFW

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
the wife works for a German company, so we were able to travel to Germany last summer. Great trip. Really nice people

used to travel to Arizona for work a lot, and if I remember right, the first Insight.com Bowl was a lot of fun.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: bawbie

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I remember when this song was released summer of 1997. I would be mixing feed on the farm and the song would come across Rock 108 (107.9 out of Waterloo for the uninitiated). It would move me to tears every single time. Still does.

It moved me to tears for a few reasons. First, the story of the Five Sullivan Brothers is just really powerful and always hit me in the feels.

Second, my dad died in 1995, and I remember he and I once talking about the Five Sullivan Brothers movie that would play on t.v. the occasional Sunday afternoon. One scene in the movie that made me laugh, and I remember telling my dad about which in turn made him laugh, was the scene when the boys got caught smoking corn silk behind the shed. The dad decided he needed to teach the boys a lesson so he invited them into the parlor and gave them all cigarettes (maybe they were cigars) and told them all about how they were now men and need to smoke like men. He taught them how to inhale deeply and such which resulted in all five getting sick and throwing up. My dad, the heavy smoker that he was, found that really entertaining, and I always think of him when I hear the song.

Third, summer of 1997 was a really hard summer for me personally. I graduated college, had a dead end job, and had no idea what I was going to do. Looking back it is clear to me now that I was depressed. It didn't take much to make me cry I guess.

Anyway:

It's not hard to reach back to the day
Underneath that Iowa sun
Running to the tower of Waterloo
Looking for the Sullivan's train to come....

I'd completely forgotten about that song! I still own that CD, which was all very good for some guys from Waterloo. It definitely brings back some vivid memories as I was just starting at ISU at that time

Reactions: BigTurk

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Only been to Montana once. Got a call from an architect friend 40 years ago. He was hired by a developer to look into developing some land overlooking Flathead Lake and wanted me to come along to help him. First time ever in a private plane (hell, only time ever in a private plane). Sweet twin engine executive rich guys corporate ride. Downside was taking off in a big storm. They called me a white-knuckle flier. Yikes. Still remember landing after having to circle down in the mountains and big cowboy booted pilot was all "Miller time!" after we taxied in and he cut the engines.

Reactions: MeanDean

drlove

Mar 20, 2007

Used to live and work in Boulder. The Fox Theater is a nice little place for a show.