WBB: General All-NCAA Thread - Not Team Cyclones Stuff

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
My 2 cents isn't worth much more than a nickle. Houston just never has supported WBB at the college level. Yet the WNBA Houston Comets (who won 3 wnba titles) were attended quite well. I went to at least a half dozen games and the crowds were 3 times larger than they are now for the Dallas Wings.

UH on the other hand has had several good players over the years that went on into the pros. In fact during the 3 year tile run that the Comets had, one of their starters who I'd estimate averaged at least 10 points a game was from UH. And that was when the Comets had Cynthia Cooper, Tina Thompson, Cheryl Swoopes. No wonder they won so much having 3 of the the top 5 players in the league.

TT used to travel well in TX & OK during the Marsha Sharpe days but that is over. TCU has never traveled well anywhere. When the Big 12 Tourney was in OKC (only 2.1/2 hrs away)they never had over 60 people there. Baylor always traveled very well to TCU, TT, UT, A&M, OU & Rice. But now with the changing of the guard here and the team no longer being a consistent top 5 team things seem to be declining here as well. However I'm sure when BU goes to UH they will still have far more fans than UH. That's a shame really because if you could recruit the top 3 players out of Houston every year you'd soon have a team competing for #1.
They Comets had it going but don’t really have recognition of them having been there, correct?

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Watched the news last night and they covered the Hawks WBB team. Everyone there talked about their goal for the year is a #1 seed in the tournament. I understand that desire and they likely will be pre-season ranked right with us...BUT...unless their star has matured a bit they will still suffer from the same limitations as last year's squad. They have built a tough pre-season schedule with two Big 12 matchups that will speak volumes. On the road at KSU and ISU at home.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Watched the news last night and they covered the Hawks WBB team. Everyone there talked about their goal for the year is a #1 seed in the tournament. I understand that desire and they likely will be pre-season ranked right with us...BUT...unless their star has matured a bit they will still suffer from the same limitations as last year's squad. They have built a tough pre-season schedule with two Big 12 matchups that will speak volumes. On the road at KSU and ISU at home.

I should go to the KSU game and teach the purple kitties how to heckle Hawkeyes (They already do a good job on Jayhawks). Wear ISU gear to let them know who is leading the heckling.;).

Unless they get more depth and Caitlin learns to share the ball don't see them going deep in the tourney.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022

WNIT released their preseason tourney field today and there's only four teams. The press release refers to "New NCAA scheduling protocols" taking away the fourth game. Does anyone know what those are?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

WNIT released their preseason tourney field today and there's only four teams. The press release refers to "New NCAA scheduling protocols" taking away the fourth game. Does anyone know what those are?

There are three options for scheduling in WBB:
*28 games + a 3-game MTE
*29 games + a 2-game MTE
*29 games + no MTE

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Huge UConn news.

Believe that was the same knee she hurt last season. Have to wonder if it didn't heal correctly or if maybe there was a slight/partial tear in the ACL before?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
To add to the post above. It will be interesting to see how she recovers.
If this is something that might actually permanently fix some of the issues she's had, this is likely the best possible choice for her. Get everything cleaned up, get one more year to show WNBA people what a healthy Ayoka Lee can do, and then become a pro.

If a long-term fix isn't available and this is more of a short-term fix, she may want to seriously consider retirement.

Reactions: acoustimac

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If this is something that might actually permanently fix some of the issues she's had, this is likely the best possible choice for her. Get everything cleaned up, get one more year to show WNBA people what a healthy Ayoka Lee can do, and then become a pro.

If a long-term fix isn't available and this is more of a short-term fix, she may want to seriously consider retirement.

As good as she has been it's obvious watching her that her knee isn't anywhere near 100%. She certainly is dedicated to playing considering the knee history dating back to her freshman year. Hope this can be more of a permanent fix for her, if not a basketball fix at least a quality of life fix. I do feel bad for youngsters in their teens and 20's having multiple knee or hip problems/surgeries.

Tebone

Aug 18, 2022
As good as she has been it's obvious watching her that her knee isn't anywhere near 100%. She certainly is dedicated to playing considering the knee history dating back to her freshman year. Hope this can be more of a permanent fix for her, if not a basketball fix at least a quality of life fix. I do feel bad for youngsters in their teens and 20's having multiple knee or hip problems/surgeries.
;)