WBB: General All-NCAA Thread - Not Team Cyclones Stuff

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thought I'd start a thread for things not ISU team so our general Cyclone season thread doesn't get sidetracked. I know there are a couple of fans that watch outside of our team.

Looking at future opponents.

The Jennie B. Sooners are 6-1 and beat #9 Oregon and Minnesota in a neutral court setting to win a tourney in the Bahamas. Play Mississippi State in the Big 12/SEC thingies on Saturday. Miss State is not ranked. Was just a few years back they were 37-2 and in the champ game against ND. Vic Schaefer leaving and his replacement resigning after just a year seems to have left them as a middling SEC team.

Iowa, after missing three games against quality opponents due to their COVID hiatus, got thumped at Duke last night. They didn't win a single quarter. Clark, a career 41% from three, was 1-13. They play Michigan State at IC on Sunday before coming to Ames. Haven't seen them play but so far they don't seem to be playing even close to their level of last year.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I was at my brother's and he kept flipping back and forth between ISU and IA games. Iowa got down 10+ pretty early and never made a run. No hustle to them, Duke got all the 50/50 balls. Stats were pretty even except rebounds and 3pt shooting (+Duke on both).

Early in ISU game, I told him turnovers are ISU's limiting factor and that proved true last night (16-7).

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Texas is playing the Aggies on the SEC channel. Texas leads 36-26 (halftime). Schaefer vs Gary Blair, his former "mentor".
Go Aggies!

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Paige Bueckers suffers a non contact injury today against ND.

UConn was ahead by 18 with under a minute to play and she was still in the game. I don't care if she is a "pain in the ass" to have on the bench Geno, you are the head coach.

"She never wants to come out, Auriemma said, per The Athletic's Charlotte Carroll. "She's a pain in the ass to have on the bench 'cause all she does is complain about why she's not playing. And we've made a concerted effort in the last three or four games to get her some rest during the game.
"You're right, I don't have an answer for why she was in the game. I mean, that could happen at any time. ... I don't like our team without her on the court."

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Something interesting that I wonder if doctors can answer is with acl incidents that happen without contact are they totally fluky or if it didn't happen to her or in Rose's case at that time would it just be a question of when it would happen?
I'm no doctor, but I don't think ACLs are considered ticking-time-bomb injuries. Some people might be more susceptible, but I think it's still a fluky thing that generally involves just planting your leg in just the wrong way.

• Informative
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Watched the second half off Iowa vs Michigan State. Clark had a tripe-double. Hawkeyes had a huge third quarter to blow the game open after having a 2 point lead at the half. Out scored MSU 33-11 in the 3rd. Clark is still struggling with her shoot from three this year. Odd for a career 42% shooter from there. Anyway, Hawks looked more like last years team today, better than they have looked so far this year.

Reactions: undersized_post

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Maybe their people are afraid to come here and not give us respect in person knowing Hilton Magic will make them look stupid. Got tired watching the men's game on TV early so went to radio for commentary while watching. I posted yesterday when I watched the women's game again the announcers for it were also bad.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
At this point, with her whole career ahead of her and the season shot, I would think she would be just shutting it down for 2-3 months to see if it heals without surgery. Seems surgery or no surgery it's a long-shot to play this season and seems risky IMHO.

Reactions: acoustimac

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
First time watching Minn for a whole game this year. Ok - Whalen may be a legend (for good reason) as a player, but hiring her as a coach was a mistake. And Minn has kind of a proud womens bb tradition.
What offense do they run? I see a mess.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron