WBB: General All-NCAA Thread - Not Team Cyclones Stuff

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Iowa State: FB=364,221 #3
MBB = 244,457 #3
WBB = 160,206 #1 (more than twice Baylor)

Really Houston, 5100 FOR THE SEASON in WBB . . . .

1659108156976.png

Reactions: StClone

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
^ At least it's equitable pay of play. Not talking men vs women but that the teammates all get something.
I think it is equitable, as I understand all football players, including walk ons, will get $25K. Based upon our funding response, it appears TT women's basketball will get more $ than all of of our mens and womens sports combined. We are recruiting great at the moment. But, I expect recruiting and retention to get pretty dicey in the next few years. Support WEWILL if you can.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think it is equitable, as I understand all football players, including walk ons, will get $25K. Based upon our funding response, it appears TT women's basketball will get more $ than all of of our mens and womens sports combined. We are recruiting great at the moment. But, I expect recruiting and retention to get pretty dicey in the next few years. Support WEWILL if you can.

Some schools are leaning forward more. Not that I like the "forward" but it is the new shape of college athletics, like it or not. At least we have a plan for the department to pay the $5,980 per year as a reward for academic performance that is now legal. I get this is not "NIL" but came at about the same time. We won't be paying the $5,980 annually though, withholding it until graduation and I don't recall them offering much details on if available to all, if the max $5,980 is the the baseline or if some get less, and what requirements need to be met academically. I think most schools opting in are going by academic year. Sort of a slow start by school around the country considering this was okayed well over a year ago. Lot of school not in great budget shape after covid and years of the facility upscaling race.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Some schools are leaning forward more. Not that I like the "forward" but it is the new shape of college athletics, like it or not. At least we have a plan for the department to pay the $5,980 per year as a reward for academic performance that is now legal. I get this is not "NIL" but came at about the same time. We won't be paying the $5,980 annually though, withholding it until graduation and I don't recall them offering much details on if available to all, if the max $5,980 is the the baseline or if some get less, and what requirements need to be met academically. I think most schools opting in are going by academic year. Sort of a slow start by school around the country considering this was okayed well over a year ago. Lot of school not in great budget shape after covid and years of the facility upscaling race.
Correct. But as I understand this every team gives the $5980, so good for athletes, but not a differentiator .

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
14 home games, 368 per game average. They might be outnumbered by away fans when they join the Big 12, although you'd think the change in conference affiliation will help bring in Houston fans as well.

Baylor and us are the only 2 teams that travel well for WBB. We aren't great but we're respectable.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
You don't have to travel that well to outnumber 368. Especially since that 368 already includes away fans.

I would think they will get attendance bump from BU and possibly TT TCU while a pretty good program doesn't have a lot of fans but they might go to Houston.

@geewago what is your 2 cents on this?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I would think they will get attendance bump from BU and possibly TT TCU while a pretty good program doesn't have a lot of fans but they might go to Houston.

Houston's one of the biggest cities in the USA and there are over 15K Baylor alumni there. Think they might out number Houston when they come to play but who knows. We have that many ISU alumni here in the Twin Cities but getting many to show up when ISU is in town is pretty hit and miss. Couple years ago I might have been the sole local watching ISU play here in the NCAA volleyball tournament.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Houston's one of the biggest cities in the USA and there are over 15K Baylor alumni there. Think they might out number Houston when they come to play but who knows. We have that many ISU alumni here in the Twin Cities but getting many to show up when ISU is in town is pretty hit and miss. Couple years ago I might have been the sole local watching ISU play here in the NCAA volleyball tournament.
ISU hoops crowds in The Cities are great.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
14 home games, 368 per game average. They might be outnumbered by away fans when they join the Big 12, although you'd think the change in conference affiliation will help bring in Houston fans as well.
Didn't we outnumber TCU down in Fort Worth this year? And didn't we have a huge group of fans in Lawrence?

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx

My 2 cents isn't worth much more than a nickle. Houston just never has supported WBB at the college level. Yet the WNBA Houston Comets (who won 3 wnba titles) were attended quite well. I went to at least a half dozen games and the crowds were 3 times larger than they are now for the Dallas Wings.

UH on the other hand has had several good players over the years that went on into the pros. In fact during the 3 year tile run that the Comets had, one of their starters who I'd estimate averaged at least 10 points a game was from UH. And that was when the Comets had Cynthia Cooper, Tina Thompson, Cheryl Swoopes. No wonder they won so much having 3 of the the top 5 players in the league.

TT used to travel well in TX & OK during the Marsha Sharpe days but that is over. TCU has never traveled well anywhere. When the Big 12 Tourney was in OKC (only 2.1/2 hrs away)they never had over 60 people there. Baylor always traveled very well to TCU, TT, UT, A&M, OU & Rice. But now with the changing of the guard here and the team no longer being a consistent top 5 team things seem to be declining here as well. However I'm sure when BU goes to UH they will still have far more fans than UH. That's a shame really because if you could recruit the top 3 players out of Houston every year you'd soon have a team competing for #1.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY