THT getting some high praise...

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
There's something amiss when the only joy we can take in our players comes with what they do after their ISU careers. That said, I am excited as anyone to watch THT in LA!

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Here's another great story from The Ringer, with a bit of a jab at our program nestled in the middle:

THT has shown that he’s a dramatically different defensive player than the one who played without effort or focus in college. Defense was an issue for the whole team, frankly. But that shows the importance of culture; with the Lakers, Horton-Tucker is spending time with champions and learning how to win.

I don't know about the culture part, but it's hard to argue with the lack of defense part.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Here's another great story from The Ringer, with a bit of a jab at our program nestled in the middle:

THT has shown that he’s a dramatically different defensive player than the one who played without effort or focus in college. Defense was an issue for the whole team, frankly. But that shows the importance of culture; with the Lakers, Horton-Tucker is spending time with champions and learning how to win.

I don't know about the culture part, but it's hard to argue with the lack of defense part.

Ours is bad. THT definitely got into a good situation with LeBron there.
Bad attitudes don't last in his championship-seeking world.
I don't get the feeling that THT needed to be confronted on that, but he definitely took note of the environment and fit right into it.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
That’s pretty stupid. Anyone who expects anything out of any college freshman basketball player already has too high expectations.

• Agree
Reactions: Nader_uggghhh

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
That’s pretty stupid. Anyone who expects anything out of any college freshman basketball player already has too high expectations.

The game's changed. Freshmen are routinely key contributors now.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
Don't want to jinx THT, but his draft position could end up hugely in his favor financially - 1st round picks get contracts (with limited salaries) for 4 years, but THT only signed for 2 years.

So he could be in for a big payday in free agency - potentially even out-earning the #1 pick from his draft class!

Reactions: Peter

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Prohm shouldn't get credit for Burton or Thomas or atleast no more than any other coach they've had. Neither of those two were NBA players when they left Iowa St, both had to work their asses off overseas. If any one specific coach gets credit for those guys, it's whomever they worked with after their ISU careers. That's when they became NBA caliber players.
Well we need to decide if they were or weren't because people are saying that he couldn't make a team go with all of these NBA players on it. We can't have it both ways.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

He is a totally different player on defense, but the entire Lakers team is since Vogel took over. He demands it. The Lakers didn't play much defense under coaches Walton, Scott, etc., so don't know about this "culture" comment. It depends on what the coach accepts and what he doesn't.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

THT now has a few $million motivational reasons to play defense the way Vogel demands it. There was no such motivation at ISU because Prohm let him play in a way that showcased his potential. Unfortunatley for ISU, that often didn't involve good defense or team-oriented play. Prohm could have buried him on the bench, because his play certainly often warranted it, but Prohm chose not to.

Unfortunately, it seems that Prohm and his staff have trouble getting players to really "buy in". If the players aren't self-motivated to do the hard things like defense and rebounding, the staff seems unable to generate that mindset.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
THT has done something that no one else has done for quite a while...I just paid attention to a significant part of a Lakers game. o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: javy29sp

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
THT now has a few $million motivational reasons to play defense the way Vogel demands it. There was no such motivation at ISU because Prohm let him play in a way that showcased his potential. Unfortunatley for ISU, that often didn't involve good defense or team-oriented play. Prohm could have buried him on the bench, because his play certainly often warranted it, but Prohm chose not to.

Unfortunately, it seems that Prohm and his staff have trouble getting players to really "buy in". If the players aren't self-motivated to do the hard things like defense and rebounding, the staff seems unable to generate that mindset.

Prohm did bury him at times and that’s not necessarily bad on Prohm. I believe the big 12 tourney he did simply because he was a liability on the floor. I don’t think how good THT is doing now is a knock on Prohm’s use of him then but more a testament to how much work THT has put in since leaving ISU and the different team/setting/league. Cheers to THT for getting after it! It will be fun to see how he matures and where he takes his career in the league!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron