Fans on the 12th or not ?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Really curious what the secondary market goes for at 25% capacity (as someone that didn't get in on season tickets)... wonder if anyone that actually gets a ticket is willing to give them up.

Sporting KC playing tonight with limited fans and just to get in its $150 on stubhub.
I think it will depend a lot on how the season goes. Late season and ISU is in the mix for a conference championship? You could name your price at 25% capacity and people would pay it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Vikings just announced no fans for at least there first two games including the opener against the Lazard Packers.

Even before the team announced the decision, fans had backed away from attending in person. About 60% of the team’s 60,000 season-ticket holders had taken up the team’s offer of skipping the season, according to the team. - Star Tribune​

• Informative
Reactions: Cy$

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I honestly think 25% would work. I can recall some games back in the dark ages of the mid-80s when a "crowd" of 20,000 at kickoff on a cold day was the norm. By the third quarter, it was down to around 10,000. We were social distancing then, but didn't know it.

cubsandclones20

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2020
I am all for them getting as little preparation as possible, but I hope it's not permanent.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Maybe this has been posted elsewhere but, any chance that all of the games will be on regular TV? Not that Cyclones TV isn't great but... somewhat unreliable.

I've been poking around for answers to this, but haven't found anything definitive. At this point, I don't know why all of our games wouldn't be on "regular TV". Fox and ABC/ESPN need programming, and it should be business as usual for the P3. To me, that says we'll be getting all of our games on at least FS1 and probably more favorable time slots than usual.

ESPN has deals with all three participating conferences. They have three slots each to fill every Saturday on ESPN, ESPN2, ACC Network, SEC Network, and ESPN+. There are also 2-3 slots on ABC. Fox has two slots to fill on Fox, three on FS1, and a couple on Fox Sports Net? I'm BSing a little bit, but they won't be able to fill all of those without the Big 10 and Pac 12.

We should be getting a handful of ABC/ESPN/Fox national games.

NOTE: I know very little about the business side of this stuff, just throwing something together based on a lot of Saturdays watching college football.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
We should be getting a handful of ABC/ESPN/Fox national games.

NOTE: I know very little about the business side of this stuff, just throwing something together based on a lot of Saturdays watching college football.

For the Big 12, the ratio of FOX (Fox, FS1, FSN) to ESPN (ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU) games in any given year is roughly 3:2.

This year, there are a total of 55 games (45 conference, 10 non-conference) under Big 12 control.

What we DO know is that the only CFB on Fox networks this fall should be the Big 12. Their other three leagues (P12, B1G, MW) aren't playing. I'd expect that there will be a minimum of one Big 12 game on FOX and one on FS1 in every week that doesn't interfere with their other programming (e.g., MLB postseason). I don't think there will be enough content left over for FSN.

What we DON'T know yet (but should soon) is the fate of the "school-retained game" broadcast. With fewer games available than in a normal year (missing 2 weeks of non-con), and an overall lack of games nationwide on 9/12, will Fox/ESPN be able/allowed to bump those games up a tier in order to maintain their annual quota of ~33 and ~22 games, respectively? Sub-question: Will the networks want to bite the bullet on the three Big 12 vs FCS games on 9/12 just to fill air time?

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I think 20% to 25% capacity but requiring the signing of electronic waivers upon accepting your tickets would be a pretty sensible solution. I don't think you can ask unpaid student athletes to sign waivers, but asking a bunch of adults who are already willing to shell out the cash wouldn't be a big ask.
Why couldn't you ask a student athlete to sign a waiver? Youth sports all have risk waivers parents sign. Also, do you really think anyone should ever be responsible for you catching a virus?

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I honestly think 25% would work. I can recall some games back in the dark ages of the mid-80s when a "crowd" of 20,000 at kickoff on a cold day was the norm. By the third quarter, it was down to around 10,000. We were social distancing then, but didn't know it.

I experienced and agree with this. Your most crowded and also the only general fan indoor place in a stadium is the bathrooms. At 1/4 attendance, there really aren't lines. Not selling food so those lines are eliminated. It really isn't that hard to distance with limited crowds. Indoor long exposure is generally agreed upon as the biggest transmitting potential.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads and Cycsk

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Also, do you really think anyone should ever be responsible for you catching a virus?

Oh oh......now you've done it! Ever heard the term......."doing your part"? Those who don't abide by the demands of practicing unscientific, untested social remedies are the reason everyone is getting sick. You haven't heard that? So yes, it is the fault of everyone else that someone else contracts a virus. What I am waiting for is how long that commercial between programs on CFTV runs. The one that states........"If you want this(picture of Jack Trice Stadium).....then wear this(picture of a mask)." Because if it was that easy we wouldn't still be here talking about it.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Oh oh......now you've done it! Ever heard the term......."doing your part"? Those who don't abide by the demands of practicing unscientific, untested social remedies are the reason everyone is getting sick. You haven't heard that? So yes, it is the fault of everyone else that someone else contracts a virus. What I am waiting for is how long that commercial between programs on CFTV runs. The one that states........"If you want this(picture of Jack Trice Stadium).....then wear this(picture of a mask)." Because if it was that easy we wouldn't still be here talking about it.

You are an idiot

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Why couldn't you ask a student athlete to sign a waiver? Youth sports all have risk waivers parents sign. Also, do you really think anyone should ever be responsible for you catching a virus?

If people have the choice to go to work or not have a job, and a co-worker comes to work that has had symptoms, or even knows they've had it or put themselves at risk, then yes, the person behaving in that way should be held responsible for spreading it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Heard the band was told tonight the big 12 will not be allowing pregame\halftime shows by the band.

Makes no sense to me that A) there can be fans, and B) there can be football but somehow the band doing a show on the field wouldnt be ok.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Complete idiot. Social Distancing and Masks is very wise. Masks cut down the spray from people’s mouths if they yell or cheer. Why be a ****? What does it cost you really to comply with wearing a mask?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
For the Big 12, the ratio of FOX (Fox, FS1, FSN) to ESPN (ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU) games in any given year is roughly 3:2.

This year, there are a total of 55 games (45 conference, 10 non-conference) under Big 12 control.

What we DO know is that the only CFB on Fox networks this fall should be the Big 12. Their other three leagues (P12, B1G, MW) aren't playing. I'd expect that there will be a minimum of one Big 12 game on FOX and one on FS1 in every week that doesn't interfere with their other programming (e.g., MLB postseason). I don't think there will be enough content left over for FSN.

What we DON'T know yet (but should soon) is the fate of the "school-retained game" broadcast. With fewer games available than in a normal year (missing 2 weeks of non-con), and an overall lack of games nationwide on 9/12, will Fox/ESPN be able/allowed to bump those games up a tier in order to maintain their annual quota of ~33 and ~22 games, respectively? Sub-question: Will the networks want to bite the bullet on the three Big 12 vs FCS games on 9/12 just to fill air time?

I could be wrong, but the "school-retained" game was only used if a network passed on the game. That's why ISU/UNI was on FS1, and we didn't have a CyclonesTV game last season. Also, those games were to be a part of the ESPN+ package at some point. I assumed that started this season. It will be interesting to see if they still put games on ESPN+ even with available slots on ESPN2/ESPNU.

I don't know who gets first choice, but here's my best guess for the first week of conference play.

FOX - Kansas St @ OU
FOX - Texas @ Texas Tech
ABC - West Virginia @ Oklahoma State
ESPN - Iowa State @ TCU
FS1 - Kansas @ Baylor

Reactions: cygrads

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I could be wrong, but the "school-retained" game was only used if a network passed on the game. That's why ISU/UNI was on FS1, and we didn't have a CyclonesTV game last season.

In a normal year, each school gets to pick one game off the top. They then have the option to turn it back over to Fox upon request, if Fox is looking to fill space. That's what happened last season.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
In a normal year, each school gets to pick one game off the top. They then have the option to turn it back over to Fox upon request, if Fox is looking to fill space. That's what happened last season.

Gotcha. We won't be having one of those this season.

I'm almost 100% sure that those broadcasts are being handed over to ESPN+, which will be branded as Big 12 Now. CyclonesTV won't be broadcasting any football games.