Blake Hinson Committed To ISU!

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
We still kind of do have to do that at PG but there are multiple choices to fill that role, at least. Also, didn't Prohm run some sort of two lead guard offense at Murray State instead of a true single point guard system?

We are much better off with 1 square peg in a round hole compared to last years 3.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
We are better #2 through #12, definitely.

But we lost a special guy at #1.

Not trying to be pessimistic -- but Tyrese was so good.

I miss him already.

:(

Yeah I hope that flattening the talent level at a higher plateau will be enough.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah I hope that flattening the talent level at a higher plateau will be enough.

I hope so, too, but basketball is so often about your best 1-2-maybe 3 guys rather than the depth and flexibility of your roster top-to-bottom.

When that first guy can play 38+ minutes and have a usage in the 30%+ range with the ball in his hands much of the time, he is a huge factor in the outcome.

My antidote to this problem is I hope Bolton takes a huge step. He needs to be on the podium for the three best guards in the Big 12 next season. He certainly has the talent for it, and he flashed that potential last year. He was playing his best ball at the end of the year before he shut it down. Just to provide an example, his stat line from the game in Ames against West Virginia (the last of the year for him)...

36 minutes, 130.5 ORTG, 28.0% usage, 65% TS, 5/11 from the field but 10/11 from the line, 4 assists to 2 turnovers, 3 rebounds on 3 personal fouls, 21 points

That is an excellent mixture of volume and efficiency.

It is really his team now. He needs to go out and let everybody know that.

Last edited:

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I've admitted before to my dislike of CSP's coaching ability. But the guy really brings me back in, every fall after these recruiting/transfer windows.

With COVID and the potential for sit-out transfers. I think CSP has bought himself two more years. Unless we go 3-15 in conference play or something horrific like that.

I'm back on board

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I've admitted before to my dislike of CSP's coaching ability. But the guy really brings me back in, every fall after these recruiting/transfer windows.

With COVID and the potential for sit-out transfers. I think CSP has bought himself two more years. Unless we go 3-17 in conference play or something horrific like that.

I'm back on board
Did the Big 12 add a team this year so we will be playing 20 conference games?

;)

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

With COVID and the potential for sit-out transfers. I think CSP has bought himself two more years. Unless we go 3-17 in conference play or something horrific like that.

I'm back on board

sopranos.jpg

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I hope so, too, but basketball is so often about your best 1-2-maybe 3 guys rather than the depth and flexibility of your roster top-to-bottom.

When that first guy can play 38+ minutes and have a usage in the 30%+ range with the ball in his hands much of the time, he is a huge factor in the outcome.

My antidote to this problem is I hope Bolton takes a huge step. He needs to be on the podium for the three best guards in the Big 12 next season. He certainly has the talent for it, and he flashed that potential last year. He was playing his best ball at the end of the year before he shut it down. Just to provide an example, his stat line from the game in Ames against West Virginia (the last of the year for him)...

36 minutes, 130.5 ORTG, 28.0% usage, 65% TS, 5/11 from the field but 10/11 from the line, 4 assists to 2 turnovers, 3 rebounds on 3 personal fouls, 21 points

That is an excellent mixture of volume and efficiency.

It is really his team now. He needs to go out and let everybody know that.
Particularly when the best player is a pg, although Haliburton has low usage for that role

We really need everyone to improve as most players do with experience. That’s how we can become a tournament team despite losing our game only elite guy from a year ago. Can Bolton become an All Big 12 combo? Tre a P5 starter level? Young and/or Conditt an all-conference center? Can Harris become what Bolton was last year? JCL, Hinson, and Johnson will all need to be better than their previous season played.

Too many “no’s” and improvement will be tough unless we get a big surprise in the freshmen class. Universal improvement, plus hitting on the freshmen like we did in 2018-19, and we’re a good team

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm glad we've upgraded talent, but it may be February before I can figure out who everyone on the team is. Alot of new faces.

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
At the very least this year we shouldn't be so reliant on any one player having to be great. Hopefully no one gets stuck having to do more than they should. If we have few busts we should be able to survive it better this year than last.
It feels like there are several different players that could have a breakout season. We're lacking a headliner at the moment, but there are 8 guys that would play on most Big 12 teams, not counting the freshmen.
Last year the margins were too narrow. This year we're still going to have to win in the margins, but they're at least a little wider.

Reactions: HoustonClone

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
They’re solid. If they get the wavier Prohm might have something.

Were you one of those "Fire Prohm guys?

If you were, then I guess, if he doesn't get the waivers, you should be happy the roster is pretty stacked for Otzelberger when they fire Prohm. Or, were you a bring back Hoiberg guy?o_O

I 've said it before and I will say it again, I like Prohm and I am glad he is our coach especially with all the turmoil out there right now.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
This news needed it's own thread. The Stretch PF the staff has been looking for all offseason. Huge!

@EvanDaniels Ole Miss transfer Blake Hinson just verbally committed to Iowa State, a source tells @247Sports. Plans to apply for a wavier to be eligible immediately. Averaged 10.1 PPG and 4.6 RPG this past season.

https://247sports.com/Player/Blake-Hinson-78308/high-school-204124/

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4396963

ISU not on the BB list but gives some insight into Blake's game
https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/06...-teams-target-ole-miss-transfer-blake-hinson/

"Originally a three-star recruit, Hinson was a surprise impact player for Ole Miss as a freshman. He started all 31 games, averaging 8.3 ppg while producing a career-high 26 points against Mississippi State. His production increased to double figures this past season (10.1 ppg) while grabbing 4.6 rpg. Hinson’s shooting numbers dipped to under 40% from the field but there were many games where the forward was a leading contributor for the Rebels.

The roster for Ole Miss has undergone many changes this offseason, particularly in the frontcourt. Grad transfers Dimencio Vaughn and Romello White are arriving, along with Samford sit-out forward Robert Allen. And with top-40 guard Matthew Murrell set to join as well, the room at the small and power forward positions has become crowded. And don’t forget that K.J. Buffen, who plays a similar position as Hinson, is the preferred option at the four-spot due to his rebounding abilities.

Rather than risk fewer minutes and possibly being relegated to the bench as a junior, Hinson has elected to move on. Expect a ton of interest for him at the power conference level, as the 6’7 athlete can play and defend multiple positions on the court. If he can shoot the ball at a higher clip, Hinson can be an all-conference player at his next stop."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...g-no-association-flag-confederacy/3270096001/

Delete if this is a repost.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Splash City.

Career 3% --

Harris = 33.4%
JCL = 36.4%
Hinson = 33.3%

I would not exactly call that a trio of deadly snipers.

For comparison, Terrence Lewis last year was 32.5%.

Might be a few splashes, but that looks more like Clank City.

Reactions: Go2Guy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron