Median boomer retirement account $144,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
There is a good Frontline episode about this on PBS, and the underfunding of public pensions. The state they looked at was Kentucky, which has the worst funding program in the country. They pointed out for years, the employee made their payments into the system, but the state unfunded their share of the program. As the returns started to drop, they moved more of their investments from more secure funds into risker funds to make up the difference. When those funds did not preform as they had hoped they were caught where they are now. Totally underfunded, the GOP governor tried to get the state house to switch over the program to a 401K type of program and they refused to do. I will say, he is the first governor from the state to fully fund the program in decades.
Right now IPERS is considered to be in good shape, but they have not given cost of living increases for those retired for at least 3 to 5 years. They also increase the percent the employee pays into the system maybe 5 years ago.

The cost of living payment for IPERS retirees started in the late 90s, not the 50s when IPERS started. It was an unrealistic dream where members/retirees convinced the Board/legislature to match what other states were doing. But it just kept IPERS from gaining more on its unfunded liabilities.

The other thing that hurt the IPERS unfunded liability was not having the ability to adjust IPERS rates for employees/employers based on actuarial determination..

Both problems have been fixed. There will be no more cost of living adjustments for people who retired after a certain date in the 90s and rates are now actuarially determined each year.

Reactions: ArgentCy

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
personally I think they need to kill the gaming of IPERS. This using the high 3-5 years allows some opportunity to work it. Should be based off lifetime average. Take the normal person and calculate the 60% deal over the five years and divide that by the lifetime to see what percent would be truer. May be even 100% of lifetime average. Known several people who found ways to significantly bump their last 3-5 years to end up with close to their wage 5 years ago from IPERS.

Somewhat true. Some organizations worked with employees to give high wages the last 1-3 years of employment. The switch to high 5 years was an effort to decrease impact of those shenanigans. Problem for IPERS was that predictable wage increases could be factored into rates applied to wages, but big jumps for a year or two create actuarial losses.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
I think they do in Iowa, but other states must have a different set up for those public employees. Maybe the local police department give the number of officers and their salaries to the state, and then the state pays the money into the fund.

Or it could be that the local school or city paid the funds into the state, and then the state turned around and "borrowed' money from the fund, without paying it back at a later date.

Contributions to IPERS are paid 60% by employers, 40% by employees. Another public DB in Iowa is 50/50.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
The gaming of the system has been a problem in the past, I know of one former supt. of mine that was caught doing it after he left our district and move to another. Its less of a problem to day.
The biggest drain on the current system is when they took the cap off the system 20 years ago. Before then a person was limited to the amount they could draw out of the system each month. With a cap off, they got the full 60% of their salaries, which started to drain the system.

I have always wondered since the coaches at state universities are public employees are they going to be able to draw 60% of their salaries when they retire? So does Bill Fennily get 60% of his salary when he retires if he has 30 years into the system. His current salary is around a million a year.

Universities mostly do not participate in IPERS.

Superintendents/school boards occasionally liked to play games because they could help the superintendent without putting out much money.

Removing the earnings cap did nothing to "drain" the system. The same contributions rate that applied to the earnings below the cap applied to the earnings above the cap. A state official has floated the same argument over time, but that person does not seem to understand the basics of actuarial science.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
I wouldn’t call private sector DB plans as uncommon or common, but definitely skews to uncommon and the floodgates have opened for companies terminating their DB plans in the past 3 years.

401ks and similar plans were started to supplement DB plans. Then companies figured out they could eliminate liabilities by forcing 401ks only.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Universities mostly do not participate in IPERS.

Superintendents/school boards occasionally liked to play games because they could help the superintendent without putting out much money.

Removing the earnings cap did nothing to "drain" the system. The same contributions rate that applied to the earnings below the cap applied to the earnings above the cap. A state official has floated the same argument over time, but that person does not seem to understand the basics of actuarial science.

I do not know if taking off the cap "drained the system", but I do know a couple former principals that stayed around a couple more years than what they planned, just to retire under the new uncapped plan. Both said the difference per month was well worth it to stay working a couple extra years. So they both must have seen quite a jump in their monthly retirement package.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The fact this thread has turned into an IPERS discussion (and not complaining about that, it is a worthy topic) is an ironic turn compared to the first post.

If you have good standing in IPERS, which many of you seem to do as either current or former government employees or teachers in Iowa, then you are already way ahead of the median when it comes to retirement planning.

Complaining about the relative merits of DB versus DC is kind of like debating which color the leather seats should be in First Class on the airliner, to me. Either way, if you are in that ratified of air, you are doing pretty well for yourself.

A lot of other people are stuck in coach.

Lots of other people are not even on the retirement airliner at all.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
IPERS is in... decent shape. Not great. I would rather be you in Iowa though, certainly than across the Mississippi that absolute disaster. I will note, too, that this is not a facile partisan issue. CA, NJ, and IL are generally blue states and in awful shape. KY is a red state... and in awful shape. Politicians of any stripe can **** this up.

Beginning 15 years ago I picked up part time work as adjunct prof across the river in Illinois. I had to decide on retirement choices. Luckily, they have a Self Mangaged Plan (SMP) which is their version of 401k. Even back then, I didn't trust those bastards to come through with their full promises 25-30 years later so I took the smaller amount of money as I earned it and manage it myself. The dollars are in my account, not theirs so I know what I will have (assuming market doesn't tank) not some promise that we will give you this at a future date. If it had been in Iowa or Wisconsin, I probably would have signed up for a DB option but I just don't trust Illinois.

Since the work is part time and I don't make much, the SMP is basically enough to travel and have fun in retirement but not contribute to basic living expenses. That is what my main job 401k is for.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Beginning 15 years ago I picked up part time work as adjunct prof across the river in Illinois. I had to decide on retirement choices. Luckily, they have a Self Mangaged Plan (SMP) which is their version of 401k. Even back then, I didn't trust those bastards to come through with their full promises 25-30 years later so I took the smaller amount of money as I earned it and manage it myself. The dollars are in my account, not theirs so I know what I will have (assuming market doesn't tank) not some promise that we will give you this at a future date. If it had been in Iowa or Wisconsin, I probably would have signed up for a DB option but I just don't trust Illinois.

Since the work is part time and I don't make much, the SMP is basically enough to travel and have fun in retirement but not contribute to basic living expenses. That is what my main job 401k is for.

Smart decision.

It was not the wise man who bet on Springfield to keep its promises.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
I do not know if taking off the cap "drained the system", but I do know a couple former principals that stayed around a couple more years than what they planned, just to retire under the new uncapped plan. Both said the difference per month was well worth it to stay working a couple extra years. So they both must have seen quite a jump in their monthly retirement package.

Yes, they likely did. The higher covered wage for 2-3 years would have increased their benefit substantially. The effect on IPERS trust fund decreased with each passing year as more contributions were paid in for people with wages above the old cap but not yet retired. The biggest member group in IPERS is school employees. As their wages tended to move past the wage cap, they would become unhappier with the retirement benefit. Wage cap had to change so teachers and other employees could still be hired.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Yes, they likely did. The higher covered wage for 2-3 years would have increased their benefit substantially. The effect on IPERS trust fund decreased with each passing year as more contributions were paid in for people with wages above the old cap but not yet retired. The biggest member group in IPERS is school employees. As their wages tended to move past the wage cap, they would become unhappier with the retirement benefit. Wage cap had to change so teachers and other employees could still be hired.

True but you have to remember it was not just teacher, people like Branstad was pulling out 50K a year, while also getting paid his salary as governor when he came back the second time. Lots of high paying jobs in city government or in hospitals in some cases.

IPERS is just not education and teachers, it can be found in almost every community, throughout the state.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
A large, green equipment manufacturer in the area still has a pension for new, salary employees. I'm sure that is skewing the anecdotal data on this particular message board because I don't think that is common at all.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
True but you have to remember it was not just teacher, people like Branstad was pulling out 50K a year, while also getting paid his salary as governor when he came back the second time. Lots of high paying jobs in city government or in hospitals in some cases.

IPERS is just not education and teachers, it can be found in almost every community, throughout the state.

After the wage cap was lifted, if an employee worked only one or two years before retirement, it was probably an actuarial loss for IPERS. The longer one worked after lifting the wage cap, the more likely the increased contributions and the time to earn investment returns for the life of the retiree produced no actuarial loss.

Retiring from IPERS covered work and later returning to IPERS covered work is fairly common. The first retirement was earned under the rules and the benefit is not affected when the retiree returns after age 65. Branstad was very near or over 65 when elected in 2010 or 11. So he was eligible for the retirement benefit and his wage. Not good optics but it had no adverse affect on IPERS. When he left to become ambassador, he was eligible for either a recomputation of benefits or a refund of his contributions and maybe some employer contributions, not sure what rules applied to him at the time.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
@SEIOWA CLONE

Given this is an area of interest of yours...

What would you do to make up IPERS' funding shortfall?

It is ~80% funded, which is way better than a lot of states, but still behind some other peers like South Dakota and Wisconsin. What would you do about it?

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
A large, green equipment manufacturer in the area still has a pension for new, salary employees. I'm sure that is skewing the anecdotal data on this particular message board because I don't think that is common at all.

I think there are still some employers who believe a DB plan helps attract good employees and know how to manage a plan. Hopefully, my favorite farm equipment manufacturer does it right.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
i feel the cave around the corner.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
After the wage cap was lifted, if an employee worked only one or two years before retirement, it was probably an actuarial loss for IPERS. The longer one worked after lifting the wage cap, the more likely the increased contributions and the time to earn investment returns for the life of the retiree produced no actuarial loss.

Retiring from IPERS covered work and later returning to IPERS covered work is fairly common. The first retirement was earned under the rules and the benefit is not affected when the retiree returns after age 65. Branstad was very near or over 65 when elected in 2010 or 11. So he was eligible for the retirement benefit and his wage. Not good optics but it had no adverse affect on IPERS. When he left to become ambassador, he was eligible for either a recomputation of benefits or a refund of his contributions and maybe some employer contributions, not sure what rules applied to him at the time.

Branstad would have been able to take out what he had deposited in one lump sum from his second time as governor. Once you retire and draw your first check, your ability to increase your monthly payment from that time is frozen.
Just like a person that retires and then goes back to work, he still pays in, and the receives that money, but not what the school paid, back when they retire for good.
We have one teacher that is doing that now, retired, when he hit his rule of 88, sat out 6 months and now teaches half a day, while drawing IPERS. You can make up to 30K and not be penalized, every dollar after that, you lose half to the system.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
@SEIOWA CLONE

Given this is an area of interest of yours...

What would you do to make up IPERS' funding shortfall?

It is ~80% funded, which is way better than a lot of states, but still behind some other peers like South Dakota and Wisconsin. What would you do about it?

I really have given no thought about it, you could raise the rule of 88 to say 92, that would force people to stay a couple extra years, maybe also take out another 1% from out checks.

But that is difficult to do for some professions, like police work or people working in the state pen. They can retire at 50, instead of 55. I mean do you really want a older 50's person guarding harden criminals on a daily basis?

Status
Not open for further replies.