The Two Powerhouse Football Conferences

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
What has been the Sagarin rating for the Big 10 West other years than last year? You have Wisconsin, very good football program, EIU and then what? Last year Minnesota put together a great year, but most years they have not. Nebraska and NW have struggled the past 2 years. Where is that 3rd to 4th good team in the West year after year. They are not there.

The strength of the Big 10 is the Eastern Half of the conference, and one maybe two teams that have come from the west. Most years those western teams would finished at best 3rd in the east. The West is also 0/5 in conference championship games under the current set up. Only once has it been a close game, EIU/MSU, the other four have been blowouts.
Big Ten West sucked in Sagarin last year too. I mean the Big 12 was better than the Big Ten East

TheBear

Apr 23, 2020
Big Ten West sucked in Sagarin last year too. I mean the Big 12 was better than the Big Ten East

Too bad isu goes 7-6 playing Iowa’s schedule and bowl games the last 2 years. Probably better off staying where you are.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
In 2018 isu goes 7-6 with Iowa’s schedule and Bowl game. Losses at Iowa, at Minnesota, at Penn State, at Purdue, Wisconsin at home and to MSU in the Bowl game. This according to the Sagarin predictor with the home team getting 3 points.

Would you like 2017 next?

You don't know that, because upsets happen each and every year. How much money could you have made betting on OSU when they played Iowa a few years?
Sagarin is a tool, its not the be all to end all, teams do win in upsets, others get a better draw and play the tougher teams on the road.
You EIU fans like to think that the Big 10 west is the SEC West and it sure has hell is not. Allowing you to get more wins, thereby moving up the rankings. Was Minnesota a great team last year because they won 11 games, or were they a great team because they got 3 cupcake OC wins, and then got to play in the BT West? Do you actually think they get to 11 wins in the east?
Look at EIU best two seasons under Freerents, 2005 and 2015, both undefeated in the conference season, but in neither did they play the best team in the conference in OSU, that was ranked ahead of them all year long.

TheBear

Apr 23, 2020
You don't know that, because upsets happen each and every year. How much money could you have made betting on OSU when they played Iowa a few years?
Sagarin is a tool, its not the be all to end all, teams do win in upsets, others get a better draw and play the tougher teams on the road.
You EIU fans like to think that the Big 10 west is the SEC West and it sure has hell is not. Allowing you to get more wins, thereby moving up the rankings. Was Minnesota a great team last year because they won 11 games, or were they a great team because they got 3 cupcake OC wins, and then got to play in the BT West? Do you actually think they get to 11 wins in the east?
Look at EIU best two seasons under Freerents, 2005 and 2015, both undefeated in the conference season, but in neither did they play the best team in the conference in OSU, that was ranked ahead of them all year long.

So clone fans love Sagarin right up until they realize that isu wouldn’t win any more games playing Iowa’s schedule. It is just a crutch you guys use to feel better about living in Iowa’s shadow.

Say you might take a look at Iowa’s schedule in 2002 when Iowa and OSU tied at 8-0. Iowa won at Michigan, at Penn State and beat MSU at home. I would have loved to play OSU that year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clarence Butthorn

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Looking at how close the Cyhawk games have been the last four years, basically all single possession games, I think ISU would finish right where EIU has been finishing in the conference standing, in 3rd place.
That is a lot higher than ISU has finished in the big 12 except for last year, when they finished 3rd.
Put EIU in the East and 3rd would be a struggle, most years its 4th at the best to 5th.
Missing those four games with OSU, Penn. St, Mich and MSU yearly cannot be discounted when looking at total wins a team has. It just can't be.

I'll take some of whatever you're smoking.

Reactions: TrianglePlace

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
Looking at how close the Cyhawk games have been the last four years, basically all single possession games,
One of those years they lost by 10, and another year they lost by 39.

That is a lot higher than ISU has finished in the big 12 except for last year, when they finished 3rd.

They finished 3rd in 2018 as well and 4th in 2017.

You're having a rough one today.

Look at EIU best two seasons under Freerents, 2005 and 2015, both undefeated in the conference season
Iowa was 5-3 in conference play in 2005

but in neither did they play the best team in the conference in OSU, that was ranked ahead of them all year long.
OSU lost to Michigan State for the East title that year. Iowa played the best team in the East in 2015.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

OSU lost to Michigan State for the East title that year. Iowa played the best team in the East in 2015.

SE seems nice but I think he's also the one who said Epenesa's NFL contract would only be worth around $1 million after he was taken in the draft.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
But how many of those games did those power house Big 10 west teams win? NW was 1-8, Neb. was 3-6, EIU best win was Minnesota, they lost to PSU, Mich and Wisc. last year.
You have some schools in the Big 10 like Indiana and Maryland that basically are playing for 4th each year, and that would be a good year, because generally they are going to finish in 5th. Throw them into the West, they might move up a spot or two.

Its easy to look at schedule but they are not equal, and it does matter in the total number of wins, which adds to better recruits and therefore more wins.
Many like to rip on Alabama because they only play 9 P5 games a year, its wrong, but look at their schedule this year, USC, LSU, Georgia, aTm, Auburn, and Tennessee. Most teams would be lucky to win 3 of those games.

Iowa played the 11th toughest conference schedule last year. They won 6 of those games. Bama played the 5th toughest conference schedule and won 6 of those games.

The fact is Iowa has played a tougher conference schedule than ISU 3 of the last 5 years. This myth that ISU plays a tougher schedule because it is "round robin" is just that a myth. Some years Iowa gets an easy East draw, others they don't and when they get a tough draw it is always tougher than a Big12 schedule.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

I will give you the one blowout, but the 10 point loss was a 3 point Iowa lead, late in the into the 4th quarter, Iowa score with 4:47 to push the lead to 10, 13 to 3.
But was a much closer game that could have gone either way until the end.

As to MSU being the better team in 2015, they may have beaten OSU, but they also lost to Nebraska that year, and lost in the playoff 38-0 to Alabama. Both teams finished with a 11-1 record, but MSU won the tiebreaker with their win over OSU, but most would say they were not the better team. I tend to think that OSU would have at least given the Tide a game.

Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Correct, the post I read only counted the first year of the contract, not the total 4 years. But I was also the one that said he was slipping from the top of the first round to the late first or into the second in the middle of the season, and all the EIU fans were up in arms about it.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
According to what? This doesn't even make sense

How doesn't it make sense? It is just a SOS metric that only looks at your conference games played. Iowa had a tougher conference SOS than any Big12 team, and way tougher conference SOS than ISU. Makes total sense as Iowa had to play 4 conference opponents ranked in the top 15, no Big12 team came close to that. That is why Wisconsin, Northwestern and Nebraska also had tougher conference only SOS than any Big12 team, they all had to play 4 top 15 teams.

I wish Iowa had an easy Big12 schedule, but as it was Iowa had to play a grinder of a Big10 West schedule.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
How doesn't it make sense? It is just a SOS metric that only looks at your conference games played. Iowa had a tougher conference SOS than any Big12 team, and way tougher conference SOS than ISU. Makes total sense as Iowa had to play 4 conference opponents ranked in the top 15, no Big12 team came close to that. That is why Wisconsin, Northwestern and Nebraska also had tougher conference only SOS than any Big12 team, they all had to play 4 top 15 teams.

I wish Iowa had an easy Big12 schedule, but as it was Iowa had to play a grinder of a Big10 West schedule.

ISU’s SOS got a bump by playing a top 15 double digit win Iowa team last year. I wish there was a way to see what the SOS’s would be if you could either take that game out of the equation or flip it.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Which BCS Bowl metric are you even referring to though?

None, why? I use all metrics. I'd love it if there were more conference only SOS metric, as then I would use an aggregate of those, just like I do for overall SOS. If you find any let me know.

I mean team rankings is kind of like Ken Pom for basketball. I mean in the end Ken Pom means nothing as it isn't part of the NET rankings, but it is very useful. Plus you have referenced Team Rankings SOS before, so I'm not sure why you are knocking it now?

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
ISU’s SOS got a bump by playing a top 15 double digit win Iowa team last year. I wish there was a way to see what the SOS’s would be if you could either take that game out of the equation or flip it.

Here is the conferece only SOS. https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/in-conference-sos-by-other

As you can see the Big12 stacks up pretty poorly to most other conferences. I had been saying that for awhile, because it only made sense. Look at the list the toughest 19 schedules were all Big10 and SEC teams. Makes total sense as they dominated the top 15 in the rankings and they all had to play each other.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
You've literally referenced the "5 BCS Bowl metrics" a hundred times on here and now you're using something else? Lol OK

I use all metrics. Name for me a metric I have dismissed? That is you who dismisses metrics that don't line up with your trolls.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
You cherry pick. We get it

Using all data is the opposite of cherry picking. I would really love it if there were more conference only SOS data. I would incorporate that with the team rankings data and then have an even better picture. I would never dismiss a metric or data, they are all useful and the more of them the better.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron