The Two Powerhouse Football Conferences

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I would love to see an ISU schedule where we missed, just one year, OU, Texas and say OSU.

I like the round robin, but I kinda miss the 2 on 2 off from the old Big 12 just because you had some variety.

OU, Texas, Tech two on
OSU, A&M, Baylor two off

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Why? I wish Iowa played Michigan, OSU and PSU every year.
That would add up to a lot more losses for EIU if they had to that now wouldn't it. What is freerents record vs. OSU 2/9? Has he defeated Penn. St. since Joe Pa was forced out? What is his record vs Mich. since Harbough took over, one win at most.

EIU has figured out, defeat Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana, through in the cream puff soft Big 10 West and you are looking at a 10 to 12 win season. Check out 2015 for a reference.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
That would add up to a lot more losses for EIU if they had to that now wouldn't it. What is freerents record vs. OSU 2/9? Has he defeated Penn. St. since Joe Pa was forced out? What is his record vs Mich. since Harbough took over, one win at most.

EIU has figured out, defeat Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana, through in the cream puff soft Big 10 West and you are looking at a 10 to 12 win season. Check out 2015 for a reference.

Don't care, those are the the games I look forward to the most. I wish the Big 10 never expanded and kept it at 10 teams. I'm jealous of ISU's schedule where you get to play every team every year. But alas I'm just a fan and don't get to vote on such matters.

Reactions: CyclonesRock

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Does Barta have like naked photos of the conference bigwigs or what? I ask because EIU just released their 2023 and 2024 schedules.

In 2023 they miss both Mich and OSU, and in 2024 they miss Mich, P. St, Mich. St. and OSU. I would love to see an ISU schedule where we missed, just one year, OU, Texas and say OSU.

From 2021 through 2024 Iowa plays Penn St. twice, and once each of Mich. OSU and Mich. St. So in 4 seasons they will have played those four teams a total number of five times.

The Big 10 West, the gift that keeps on giving.

Were you around from 1996 to 2012? Because that's exactly what ISU got every two years, and it's likely what you'd still be doing if the Big 12 hadn't imploded and fallen back to the round robin by default.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Were you around from 1996 to 2012? Because that's exactly what ISU got every two years, and it's likely what you'd still be doing if the Big 12 hadn't imploded and fallen back to the round robin by default.

Yep, it isn't like the Big 12 went to 10 teams by losing Colorado, Nebraska and Texas A&M and adding WVU on purpose. Congrats on doing what they had to do to maintain a conference, but it wasn't their choice to do so either.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I like the round robin, but I kinda miss the 2 on 2 off from the old Big 12 just because you had some variety.

OU, Texas, Tech two on
OSU, A&M, Baylor two off
It makes bball so so so much better though.
I'm so glad it's remained at 10 for this long, hope we can sustain it a little longer.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Sure I was around, and having that schedule allowed ISU and Mac to get a 9 win season, it allowed Kansas to get to the Orange Bowl. Don't think for a moment that for both schools not playing OU and UT helped improve their overall record. Just like it will EIU in 2024 when they miss the top half of the Eastern side of the conference.

Reactions: CyTwins

TheBear

Apr 23, 2020
Does Barta have like naked photos of the conference bigwigs or what? I ask because EIU just released their 2023 and 2024 schedules.
2023 Schedule

Sept. 2 Utah State
Sept. 9 at Iowa State (Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series)
Sept. 16 Western Michigan
Sept. 23 Purdue (FW)
Sept. 30 at Wisconsin
Oct. 7 Rutgers (HC)
Oct. 14 at Northwestern
Oct. 21 Michigan State
Oct. 28 at Penn State
Nov. 4 Minnesota
Nov. 11 Open
Nov. 18 Illinois
Nov. 24 at Nebraska

2024 Schedule

Aug. 31 Illinois State
Sept. 7 Iowa State (Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series)
Sept. 14 Troy
Sept. 28 at Purdue
Oct. 5 Northwestern (HC)
Oct. 12 at Rutgers
Oct. 19 at Illinois
Oct. 26 Maryland (FW)
Nov. 2 at Indiana
Nov. 9 Open
Nov. 16 at Minnesota
Nov. 23 Wisconsin
Nov. 29 Nebraska

In 2023 they miss both Mich and OSU, and in 2024 they miss Mich, P. St, Mich. St. and OSU. I would love to see an ISU schedule where we missed, just one year, OU, Texas and say OSU.

From 2021 through 2024 Iowa plays Penn St. twice, and once each of Mich. OSU and Mich. St. So in 4 seasons they will have played those four teams a total number of five times.

According to the clone fan go-to Sagarin, isu would have been 4th in the Big Ten West in 2019. Would isu really want to do that? Also according to the same source isu goes 7-6 with Iowa’s schedule while Iowa still goes 10-3 with isu’s.

Care to comment?

Reactions: Clarence Butthorn

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Sure I was around, and having that schedule allowed ISU and Mac to get a 9 win season, it allowed Kansas to get to the Orange Bowl. Don't think for a moment that for both schools not playing OU and UT helped improve their overall record. Just like it will EIU in 2024 when they miss the top half of the Eastern side of the conference.
Perfect. Thanks for the heads up. That should line up with this recruiting class they're putting together. I'll pencil in a trip to Pasadena for that year.

Reactions: TrianglePlace

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Yeah, once. ISU's records during those division years:

2-10
1-10
3-8
4-7
9-3
7-5
7-7
2-10
7-5
7-5
4-8
3-9
2-10
7-6
5-7
6-7

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I guess I’m not pointing out the obvious here, but if you scroll down a little further in the link, Iowa’s Sagarin rating is higher than every team in the B12 except Oklahoma so...maybe the B12 is a couple points higher rated than the B1G West, but then we can all agree that Iowa is better than everyone in the B12 except Oklahoma no?

Waiting four plus year to post that huh?

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
Yeah, once. ISU's records during those division years:

2-10
1-10
3-8
4-7
9-3
7-5
7-7
2-10
7-5
7-5
4-8
3-9
2-10
7-6
5-7
6-7
Man, most of those years is when Texas was rolling too. Winning around 76% with a NC, another appearance, and a ton of high level or BCS type bowls. Since Mack retired they're winning around 53%. They're basically Rutgers during the Kyle Flood years.

Danny Mac had to play some great Texas teams.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
According to the clone fan go-to Sagarin, isu would have been 4th in the Big Ten West in 2019. Would isu really want to do that? Also according to the same source isu goes 7-6 with Iowa’s schedule while Iowa still goes 10-3 with isu’s.

Care to comment?

What has been the Sagarin rating for the Big 10 West other years than last year? You have Wisconsin, very good football program, EIU and then what? Last year Minnesota put together a great year, but most years they have not. Nebraska and NW have struggled the past 2 years. Where is that 3rd to 4th good team in the West year after year. They are not there.

The strength of the Big 10 is the Eastern Half of the conference, and one maybe two teams that have come from the west. Most years those western teams would finished at best 3rd in the east. The West is also 0/5 in conference championship games under the current set up. Only once has it been a close game, EIU/MSU, the other four have been blowouts.

TheBear

Apr 23, 2020
What has been the Sagarin rating for the Big 10 West other years than last year? You have Wisconsin, very good football program, EIU and then what? Last year Minnesota put together a great year, but most years they have not. Nebraska and NW have struggled the past 2 years. Where is that 3rd to 4th good team in the West year after year. They are not there.

The strength of the Big 10 is the Eastern Half of the conference, and one maybe two teams that have come from the west. Most years those western teams would finished at best 3rd in the east. The West is also 0/5 in conference championship games under the current set up. Only once has it been a close game, EIU/MSU, the other four have been blowouts.

It is all right there. isu wouldn’t finish any better in the Big Ten West than they are finishing in the league they are in. This thought that isu would win more games by playing Iowa’s schedule just isn’t true if you use the Sagarin predictor and go game by game.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
2023 Schedule

Sept. 2 Utah State
Sept. 9 at Iowa State (Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series)
Sept. 16 Western Michigan
Sept. 23 Purdue (FW)
Sept. 30 at Wisconsin
Oct. 7 Rutgers (HC)
Oct. 14 at Northwestern
Oct. 21 Michigan State
Oct. 28 at Penn State
Nov. 4 Minnesota
Nov. 11 Open
Nov. 18 Illinois
Nov. 24 at Nebraska

2024 Schedule

Aug. 31 Illinois State
Sept. 7 Iowa State (Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series)
Sept. 14 Troy
Sept. 28 at Purdue
Oct. 5 Northwestern (HC)
Oct. 12 at Rutgers
Oct. 19 at Illinois
Oct. 26 Maryland (FW)
Nov. 2 at Indiana
Nov. 9 Open
Nov. 16 at Minnesota
Nov. 23 Wisconsin
Nov. 29 Nebraska

Iowa deserves an easy year occasionally. I mean considering the following had tougher conference schedules than ANY big 12 team: Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Nebraska. Heck even Minnesota had a tougher conference SOS than the clones this year and they got 2 cupcakes from the East.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/in-conference-sos-by-other

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It is all right there. isu wouldn’t finish any better in the Big Ten West than they are finishing in the league they are in. This thought that isu would win more games by playing Iowa’s schedule just isn’t true if you use the Sagarin predictor and go game by game.

Looking at how close the Cyhawk games have been the last four years, basically all single possession games, I think ISU would finish right where EIU has been finishing in the conference standing, in 3rd place.
That is a lot higher than ISU has finished in the big 12 except for last year, when they finished 3rd.
Put EIU in the East and 3rd would be a struggle, most years its 4th at the best to 5th.
Missing those four games with OSU, Penn. St, Mich and MSU yearly cannot be discounted when looking at total wins a team has. It just can't be.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Iowa deserves an easy year occasionally. I mean considering the following had tougher conference schedules than ANY big 12 team: Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Nebraska. Heck even Minnesota had a tougher conference SOS than the clones this year and they got 2 cupcakes from the East.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/in-conference-sos-by-other

But how many of those games did those power house Big 10 west teams win? NW was 1-8, Neb. was 3-6, EIU best win was Minnesota, they lost to PSU, Mich and Wisc. last year.
You have some schools in the Big 10 like Indiana and Maryland that basically are playing for 4th each year, and that would be a good year, because generally they are going to finish in 5th. Throw them into the West, they might move up a spot or two.

Its easy to look at schedule but they are not equal, and it does matter in the total number of wins, which adds to better recruits and therefore more wins.
Many like to rip on Alabama because they only play 9 P5 games a year, its wrong, but look at their schedule this year, USC, LSU, Georgia, aTm, Auburn, and Tennessee. Most teams would be lucky to win 3 of those games.

Last edited:

TheBear

Apr 23, 2020
In 2018 isu goes 7-6 with Iowa’s schedule and Bowl game. Losses at Iowa, at Minnesota, at Penn State, at Purdue, Wisconsin at home and to MSU in the Bowl game. This according to the Sagarin predictor with the home team getting 3 points.

Would you like 2017 next?

Reactions: Clarence Butthorn