***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Here’s a new development...

@RyanJamesMN Utah guard transfer Both Gach has had virtual visits or has set upcoming virtual visits with the following programs:

Auburn, Nevada, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Depaul, BYU, Minnesota, Creighton, Iowa State, Maryland, Texas A&M, and Georgetown

One would think that a few TT players would be considering options at this point. Their goal must be complete roster turnover.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
One would think that a few TT players would be considering options at this point. Their goal must be complete roster turnover.
Tech being after so many guys is odd to me. Beard brings in great recruiting classes. Seems he isn't afraid to run them off though. I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of their roster by any means, but it just seems odd.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
So start him over SoYo? Or install a new system?
I think they would compliment one another. Their games are much different. SoYo is more of a back to the basket type player, and Smith seems more comfortable facing the bracket and driving. Not sure who would start, but both would get plenty of minutes.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Why is he leaving?
From what I heard, he entered the NBA portal to get evaluated. The scouts told him what he needed to improve on in order to make it in the league. Smith didn’t think he would get the opportunity to work on those things in Indiana’s system. That’s my understanding anyway.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Tech being after so many guys is odd to me. Beard brings in great recruiting classes. Seems he isn't afraid to run them off though. I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of their roster by any means, but it just seems odd.

It doesn't seem like a great long term strategy. I mean, the guys 11-13 on the roster are probably not going to make a difference in any given season, and continually forcing those kids out (in favor of other kids who will end up 11-13 on the roster) eventually will make guys wary of going there (and please don't tell me Duke, NC, etc does it, because TT will never be those programs).

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I think they would compliment one another. Their games are much different. SoYo is more of a back to the basket type player, and Smith seems more comfortable facing the bracket and driving. Not sure who would start, but both would get plenty of minutes.
Moreover, we’ve got 80 minutes for the 4 and 5, plus some 3 minutes. We have two returning players in the frontcourt, 4 total. There’s enough minutes available to mitigate overlap in roles. If we can increase our tempo by getting stops, you can get away with less threats too.

Our freshman and Johnson are all promising. A couple may be ready to start (Johnson and Dubar imo). But even our best recent freshman haven’t been at Smith’s level last year on Day1. Plus, I think he’ll take the NBA feedback to heart and be a much better player his senior year.