***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
He plays out on the wing a lot just does not shoot many 3s. Also has anyone heard a time to expect a decision for JCL?
Nothing official, but he was expected to announce today or Saturday. Take that with a grain of salt as these things always seem to drag out longer than expected.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Have you watched him play at all?

I know Nader's game was outside/in and Smith's appears to be opposite. Nader came from a mid major and was in Ames for his third year before he blossomed as a wing. Smith comes from a P5 where he appears to be a league average PF. This board likes to equate players to past players to predict their success or demise. Truth is regardless who you compare their game to doesn't have any affect on how they'll perform here.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Seems like an off the bench guy. That or plugging up lanes making Bolton’s life harder.

Or who knows, maybe Prohm can unlock some ability and he’s suddenly good on offense.
He started on a 20 win, Big 10 NCAA tourney team, averaging 30 minutes a game, but would would come off the bench for a 12 win team? I don’t get it.

Reactions: Dandy and baagoe

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
He started on a 20 win, Big 10 NCAA tourney team, averaging 30 minutes a game, but would would come off the bench for a 12 win team? I don’t get it.
People way overvalue how good Solomon is because he's a good dude.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Truth is regardless how you compare their game to doesn't have any affect on how they'll perform here.
That’s more CycloneReport.

So profound.

Back on topic, Nadar would be a good goal for him. Similar building blocks. Nadar didn’t just have poor percentages until his senior season, he had poor percentages while shooting a lot. Nader also attempted to create or handle more.

I’m pretty sure Smith could put up Nader’s NIU and junior year numbers if given similar opportunity. Nader improved a lot going into his senior year, and it sounds like Smith is looking for a coach that will facilitate something similar.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
People way overvalue how good Solomon is because he's a good dude.
I don't think he's overvalued at all. How I see him anyway is a solid post player who kind of came into his own this season and didn't try to be something he wasn't. His SO/1st JR years, and especially SO, I felt he was trying to force himself to becoming a small ball 4 and the results were meager because he didn't have the skill set. This year, he was more of a classic 5 and seemed to do really well. He lacks the athleticism that some of the conference's better post players possess, guys like Tschiebwe and Culver at WVU, but he's strong, defends fairly well, and can move people. He has developed a good back to the basket game too imo. He's not gonna be an all conference guy, but I don't think many expect that of him. If he's our leading scorer next year, it was a terrible year. But if he's 3rd or 4th I think that's reasonable.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
What are your thoughts on how his defense would translate here? Do you see him carrying that pride in defense over to a more offensively minded program? Is it something he’s a leader in and would help the young guys? We haven’t had too many Ejim type leaders that would get on guys for missing assignments. Well besides Jacobson yelling at Wigginton on TV in 2019.

We could start 4 wings plus Bolton. Okay, probably not, but playing fasted paced, transition ball again would be fun. Easier to be a pg when you don’t face a set defense!

I think it would translate well, as Smith is not a standstill player. He can get up and down and, honestly, a faster pace team may unlock some offensive opportunities for him. He’s long and would fit nicely in a rotation when Prohm wants to go bigger without losing the ability to move the pace.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Here’s a new development...

@RyanJamesMN Utah guard transfer Both Gach has had virtual visits or has set upcoming virtual visits with the following programs:

Auburn, Nevada, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Depaul, BYU, Minnesota, Creighton, Iowa State, Maryland, Texas A&M, and Georgetown

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Here’s a new development...

@RyanJamesMN Utah guard transfer Both Gach has had virtual visits or has set upcoming virtual visits with the following programs:

Auburn, Nevada, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Depaul, BYU, Minnesota, Creighton, Iowa State, Maryland, Texas A&M, and Georgetown

Backup plan or bad sign for JCL?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I wasn’t trying to come off as against Smith either, just asking the question of how he fits based on what I’ve read here and Twitter.