Nicest Golf Course You’ve Played

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Oakmont CC in Pittsburgh, Medinah #3, Olympia Fields and Cog Hill #4 in Chicago, Hazeltine in Minneapolis, DM G & CC composite 18(really good).

Got some more if needed. B^/

Reactions: cyguy9320

WoodCy

Feb 28, 2014
Atkins, IA
I've played some decent courses;

Bandon Dunes
Black Butte Ranch
Sunriver Resort
The Running Y
Longaberger Golf Course (now called The Virtue)
Whistling Straits
Oakland Hill C.C.
Nemacolin
The Homestead
King and Bear
TPC Sawgrass
Edgewood Lake Tahoe
Sierra Nevada Golf Course

Last edited:

Sighclone Fan

Jan 19, 2008
Hazeltine National in Chaska, MN

I saw someone mentioned Wilderness at Fortune Bay - that is high up on my wish list.

How is Honey Creek in Boone holding up? I always though that was a fun course that would get better with age.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Pinehurst No. 2
Company outing not long after graduating so had little appreciation of the moment. I do recall first time playing a course where the fairways were in better shape than the greens of many courses I had played. Another company outing years later I birdied #17 at TPC. Sank a 40 footer double breaker. Buddies silent as I walked to the cup saying "I don't see what the big deal is about this hole". Proceeded to get a 12 on 18. HA!!! Golf Karma at it's best.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Augusta National. My brother's roommate from college had a birthday party and invited me and my brother to play. His dad is a member.

I'm S*** at golf, but I couldn't pass it up. Likely a once in a lifetime opportunity.
More like once in a generation. Very jealous.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Hazeltine National in Chaska, MN

I saw someone mentioned Wilderness at Fortune Bay - that is high up on my wish list.

How is Honey Creek in Boone holding up? I always though that was a fun course that would get better with age.
Honey Creek may be my favorite course in Central Iowa. Reasonable pricing and a fun course to play.

Reactions: CyState85

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Did nobody take any pictures of these places they have played? I mean, I've seen some serious courses listed here that you all have played. To the guy who played Augusta, you HAVE to have pictures. Should post some.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
For me: Troy Burne in Hudson, Wisconsin.

Next on the list: The Wilderness at Fortune Bay and Sand Valley.

Let’s hear yours! Pics encouraged.

Really wanted to play sand valley but it poured down rain the whole time we were there. It was a rather expensive tab in the clubhouse.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
There are three courses in Wisconsin I could travel up to play every year if I had the chance.

Sentry World, a remarkably well maintained beautiful golf course
Whistling Straights
Black Wolf Run

Wisconsin has several really world class courses that are not private clubs.

Reactions: ZJohnson

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Tampa Palms in Tampa Florida. Technically a private course, but my superintendent dad at the time stuck out to find their super and got us on.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
A tad hokey, but the nicest course I’ve had the opportunity to play was the monument course at Troon North. Just very well manicured, and some pretty cool holes, especially when you start heading into the mountain on the back 9.

Had the opportunity to play Whistling Straits, Erin Hills (pre US Open), Black Wolf Run and a 4th Kohler course I cant remember off the top of my head, but that opportunity arose when we were pretty broke (young married couple with 2 young kids), so the wife put told me to pound sand on that one.

Also had the opportunity to play Pinehurst #2, but that trip got cancelled.

Played a couple courses in Palm Springs a few years back, with The Classic Club being the better one we played, but it was just “OK”. Coolest part about that course was just how desolate the area was around the course. The course itself was plush. When you’re on the outer holes on the property, you can see just how much work/water/maintenance they have to put into it to make it look that way. Utter desert wasteland surrounding the property.

For those who have had the opportunity to play Augusta, I am truly jealous. That really is a “once in a lifetime” thing.

JackCyclone

Jan 31, 2013
Love the golf threads on here. I've been extremely fortunate with some connections I've had and some of the traveling I've done.

-Pine Valley- New Jersey (Amazing golf course- there is not a single blade that isn't perfect)
-Ocean Course at Kiawah Island- Charleston, SC area (by FAR hardest course I've played)
-Firestone CC, Akron OH.
-Pinehurst #2
-Tobacco Road in NC (Favorite of any course I've played- I'd encourage anyone to look at pictures online of this course. It's an amusement park)
-Southern Highlands- Las Vegas, NV (I think Otz is a member here- unreal course. Close 2nd to Tobacco Road for me)
-Cascata- Boulder City, NV (Newer course in Vegas area that is literally built into a mountain.
-Mid Pines and Pine Needles in the Pinehurst area are hidden gems too

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Homewood FTW. It just fits my style.

Played The Harvester a few times in college.

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
Interlachen in Minneapolis, very nice but private
Wolf Creek -Mesquite NV -most jaw-dropping holes we've played
Osage National is a favorite and played with a group of us every year in the Ozarks

Help Support Us

Become a patron