Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
But how many people really need a new vehicle and need it right now. Leased vehicles just run the contract out a few more months under the same terms that they currently have, factor in the extra mileage that they will put on their current vehicle.

You people are making up excuses of why businesses should stay open, few are really necessary, but under the list provided by the governor, almost any factory is.

Are you really this close-minded? Everybody leases their vehicle? What about the person whose car is worth $5000- $6000 and has an engine or transmission go out? You're going to tell them to spend $2000-$3000 on their vehicle that's worth 2X the repair bill because COVID 19? And even if you are WTF is the difference between the number of people involved repairing the vehicle versus just buying a new one?

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
JUst drove by the Izaac Walton League in Newton and the parking lot was half full
They say on their facebook page the club is closed due to Reynolds orders, so that's interesting.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
But how many people really need a new vehicle and need it right now. Leased vehicles just run the contract out a few more months under the same terms that they currently have, factor in the extra mileage that they will put on their current vehicle.

You people are making up excuses of why businesses should stay open, few are really necessary, but under the list provided by the governor, almost any factory is.

People might need car to go buy food, get medicine, go to a hospital, take another person to a hospital, take medicine to another person, take food to another person, etc. Some of those things could mean life or death. People need cars in America, it's pretty hard to live without them.

Transportation is a necessary business. Drugstores, food, hardware and most places anywhere that sells firearms and/or ammo have been deemed necessary. If you want to question something, I would question the guns, but militia rights I guess.

Reactions: Acylum

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
It seems the only way the SIP conversation would have any real clarity is if individual jobs and businesses were marked as essential or non-essential. Hobby Lobby has materials that can be used to make masks from. That's great and they should be allowed to sell it...but the store should not be open for the general public to come wander around in. There should be one person there handing fabric out the front door, and that's it.

Of course, it's impossible to do that for every business and every person.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
They say on their facebook page the club is closed due to Reynolds orders, so that's interesting.

Hmm. The only reason I noticed is because the car in front of me turned into the parking lot, which I thought was odd. So I looked and there were a lot of cars in the parking lot.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It seems the only way the SIP conversation would have any real clarity is if individual jobs and businesses were marked as essential or non-essential. Hobby Lobby has materials that can be used to make masks from. That's great and they should be allowed to sell it...but the store should not be open for the general public to come wander around in. There should be one person there handing fabric out the front door, and that's it.

Of course, it's impossible to do that for every business and every person.

On some level its also kind of unfortunate that big boxes are given monopolies over some categories of goods as well.

Like, clothing stores are closed... unless those happen to be in a store that sells essential items. So Walmart and Target get to keep selling clothes, but the mom and pop store down the street is closed.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Please respond to the following statement with "yes" or "no":

It shouldn't be controversial to expect someone with no medical knowledge whatsoever to listen to their own boards of medical professionals.
But the medical professionals have a singular focus, and aren't asked to balance a COVID response with ensuring a diasterous economic crash with long-term and massive unemployment doesn't occur.

Their response very well may be correct, by I disagree that because someone in the medical field says what our response should be that it's a no-brainer.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
But the medical professionals have a singular focus, and aren't asked to balance a COVID response with ensuring a diasterous economic crash with long-term and massive unemployment doesn't occur.

Their response very well may be correct, by I disagree that because someone in the medical field says what our response should be that it's a no-brainer.
Economies recover. Dead bodies don't. The economic crash and unemployment is already happening, that boat has sailed with no obvious end in sight. Is there some masterful non-medical, pure-ecnomics strong play I'm missing here?

Reactions: cyson

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Economies recover. Dead bodies don't. The economic crash and unemployment is already happening, that boat has sailed with no obvious end in sight. Is there some masterful non-medical, pure-ecnomics strong play I'm missing here?
Are you willing to apply this across the board?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
A lot of you sound like my 85 year old mother. The first thing she says when I talk to her is "why don't people just stay at home, they are putting everyone at risk". Then the next 1/2 hour she tells me about her two trips to the grocery store, morning coffee with her friends, etc. that she did this week.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Economies recover from a macro sense, but individuals may not. If you're already living paycheck to paycheck, you're relying on keeping a job right now to pay your bills. So a SIP order that may shut down your job means that your paycheck is also gone. Unemployment doesn't cover 100%.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This isn’t the gif I wanted to post but it will have to do.

MediumRealBrant-size_restricted.gif

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Economies recover from a macro sense, but individuals may not. If you're already living paycheck to paycheck, you're relying on keeping a job right now to pay your bills. So a SIP order that may shut down your job means that your paycheck is also gone. Unemployment doesn't cover 100%.
Again, aren't we already past this point? Most places have been closed over 2-3 weeks by now. We keep getting told SIP wouldn't change anything anyway, so I guess it's not hurting anyone else that isn't already down, right? Also, I was told the unemployment benefit changes incentivized people on it to not work, I wonder what happened to that opinion...

I've actually heard stories recently, particularly around manufacturing, that some places are already voluntarily closing down or leaning towards shutdowns/layoffs not because of COVID, but because of a lack of work and demand. This problem going to get worse long before it gets better. We are nowhere close to the end of this economically.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Economics or the greater good shouldn’t enter into any decision.
So the greater good belongs to economics and not saving lives from a pandemic?

Or is this another one of those "the cure is worse than the illness!", which has exactly zero proof of happening anywhere on the planet? Hell, our life expectancies went up during the Great Depression.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

Or is this another one of those "the cure is worse than the illness!", which has exactly zero proof of happening anywhere on the planet? Hell, our life expectancies went up during the Great Depression.
I’m challenging your assertion that any economic damage that will occur has already taken place and/ or that saving the maximum amount of lives comes with no consequences. If I misinterpreted your post please explain your intended point.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010

Well that settles it. Let’s have a Depression every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron