Brett McMurphy article on possibilities for 2020 football season

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I found this to be the most interesting clip in the piece:

"If this happens and no fans can attend games, ADs should move matchups to be played every day of the week. The TV ratings would be insane. Instead of 90 percent of the games being played on Saturday, spread out the games and have quadruple-headers every day of the week. It would be one way to recoup the television revenue, and perhaps the media rights holders could compensate the schools an additional amount for moving game dates around."

It would give me a whole new reason to stay home from work!

This would create an uneven playing field for the players. Each team wouldn't get the same number of days to prepare between games, let alone heal from injury. If implemented, I expect certain schools to have favorable schedules. Regardless of teams, it wouldn't be fair. Not that NCAA cares.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
There were people that made their living making horse shoes. What is your point? **** changes.

Yeah, the company I am talking about was a high tech company that just got $300M in venture capital funding this quarter before all this hit. You know when **** will really change? When people who are currently comfortable at home and still getting paid start losing their paycheck.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
It's like all the eligibility issues with players.

In the end I don't think anything can be done about it, you just had a bad run of cards.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
If it is not safe for the fans to be at the game, why would it be safe for the players to be at the game?

Why should we expect these student athletes to risk their future careers by getting an illness that will likely leave them with 30% reduced lung capacity.

No football until a vaccine is developed is the only reasonable plan of action.

The 30% reduced lung capacity has been confirmed? I haven’t seen any articles on that yet, can you link if it is true.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
This would create an uneven playing field for the players. Each team wouldn't get the same number of days to prepare between games, let alone heal from injury. If implemented, I expect certain schools to have favorable schedules. Regardless of teams, it wouldn't be fair. Not that NCAA cares.
There are 9 D1 conferences. Each conference gets a day or two each week. Wouldn’t be that difficult to put a fair schedule together if limited to conference games.

Reactions: CycloneVet

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If it’s too risky to have fans in the stands than how can you risk having players on the field?

Because there are a lot, lot less people involved? I mean isn't it obvious?

Also, SK is already returning to normalcy slowly. If we can't get to where they are in 6 months I'm sorry it's a failure not only by government, but the people of this country and the vast number of people working on innovations.

Also, the common cold is a type of coronavirus. It's possible we don't get a vaccine for a VERY long time.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
College football isn’t an essential job. That’s what you’re missing, there’s no need for 18-22 year old to play a game during this. If schools are all online there is zero percent chance they’re playing any sports next year, which is the most likely outcome at this time.
You’re missing the fact I never said it was essential! At all!!! I used the example of essential jobs to help you understand that even in peak of social distancing right now, there is discriminatory risk tolerance. By fall the testing should enable that to evolve to new standards of acceptable socializing.

There are situations that have differences in inherent spread risk. That’s what YOU are missing. The risk of college athletes, already a defacto controlled group, is vastly different than the spread risk of 60k+ fans.

No need? Lol! Given the injury and CTE risk, there’s no need for college football in general. Society has long ago prioritized the monetary value of entertainment, particularly 18-22 year olds playing football.

Again, the question is NOT in regards to how can you not have fans but have athletes playing, which you initially asked. Two very different social distancing activities. It’s whether the new normal allows for college athletics for online schools. My gut says no, but we don’t really know what the new normal will be like. I envision things that at one time seemed silly or outlandish to become reality

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Because there are a lot, lot less people involved? I mean isn't it obvious?

Also, SK is already returning to normalcy slowly. If we can't get to where they are in 6 months I'm sorry it's a failure not only by government, but the people of this country and the vast number of people working on innovations.

Also, the common cold is a type of coronavirus. It's possible we don't get a vaccine for a VERY long time.

Have you seen the curve we’re on compared to South Korea’s? We aren’t following their path, that ship sailed about a month ago. Any comparison to the timeline they are on for returning to normal is completely meaningless.

Reactions: CyBobby

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
The 30% reduced lung capacity has been confirmed? I haven’t seen any articles on that yet, can you link if it is true.
Like everything else with COVID-19, this is going off of a small sample size but it does make sense. For many patients, this presents itself as a severe case of Viral Pneumonia.

https://m.dw.com/en/covid-19-recovered-patients-have-partially-reduced-lung-function/a-52859671

Now researchers in Hong Kong have said that recovered coronavirus patients can be left with damaged lungs.

A small study of 12 patients discharged from hospital showed that two or three had reduced lung function. However, it is too early to confirm any long-term effects.

"In some patients, lung function could decline by about 20 to 30% after recovery," says Dr. Owen Tsang Tak-yin, medical director of the Infectious Diseases Centre at Princess Margaret Hospital in Hong Kong.

Last edited:

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Like everything else with COVID-19, this is going off of a small sample size but it does make sense. For many patients, this presents itself as a severe case of Viral Pneumonia.

https://m.dw.com/en/covid-19-recovered-patients-have-partially-reduced-lung-function/a-52859671

Now researchers in Hong Kong have said that recovered coronavirus patients can be left with damaged lungs.

A small study of 12 patients discharged from hospital showed that two or three had reduced lung function. However, it is too early to confirm any long-term effects.

"In some patients, lung function could decline by about 20 to 30% after recovery," says Dr. Owen Tsang Tak-yin, medical director of the Infectious Diseases Centre at Princess Margaret Hospital in Hong Kong.

I was already aware of this study. So 2-3 out of 12 people have reduced lung capacity. We know nothing about the ages of those individuals or pre-existing health problems and we jump to the conclusion that any athlete that gets this virus could suffer lung damage that effects their pro career.
There is enough that is unknown about this virus without citing studies with only 12 enrollees and equating that with fact.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

You could do it by conference. Assuming they eliminate the non-conference, just give each conference a day of the week.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We are still 5 months away. Just give it a few months and see where we are.

People's insistence on creating a completely dystopian view of the future just gets old. I get it's bad, but people just making **** up about how long this will last is tiring.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It blows my mind that people can't understand why putting 300 people in a stadium that holds 60,000 people is exponentially less risky than putting 60,000+ people in the same facility.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
We are still 5 months away. Just give it a few months and see where we are.

People's insistence on creating a completely dystopian view of the future just gets old. I get it's bad, but people just making **** up about how long this will last is tiring.

It's almost like they get sexual gratification from it.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
You could do it by conference. Assuming they eliminate the non-conference, just give each conference a day of the week.
Agree.

Although I think there’s a chance for games of some manner, I don’t expect CFB to occur as we have come to know it. Thus many of these conventional constraints are likely irrelevant imo.

Imo it’s about ADs maintaining budgets as much as possible and a general public desperate to watch sports at home while their social lives have been gutted. In efforts to reduce travel, that may even mean one-time completely regional “conferences” many have wanted, playing in front of zero spectators on different nights to maximize streaming viewership. Who knows at this point!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It blows my mind that people can't understand why putting 300 people in a stadium that holds 60,000 people is exponentially less risky than putting 60,000+ people in the same facility.

If people are expecting complete eradication and zero chance of anyone contracting the disease as the jumping off point to going back to life as we know it we may as well just shut it all down.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
But after you leave that game are you all going to quarantine for 14 days?

that’s why this is fantasy land. There’s not going to be any large gatherings allowed until people get vaccinated. People just need to start living with that reality. No concerts, no sportsball games, no art festivals, no campgrounds, no any of that stuff.

I think you are right Gunnerclone...and a vaccine is 12 to 18 months away....Steve Rattner from Goldman Sachs just said that unemployment will reach a high of 14.9% and we won't get back to where employment was before covid19 until 2023....I thought WTF is going to happen to the people whose Jobs Disappear because their employers had to Liquidate and go out of business.....

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think you are right Gunnerclone...and a vaccine is 12 to 18 months away....Steve Rattner from Goldman Sachs just said that unemployment will reach a high of 14.9% and we won't get back to where employment was before covid19 until 2023....I thought WTF is going to happen to the people whose Jobs Disappear because their employers had to Liquidate and go out of business.....

They aren't going to keep everything shut down until there is a vaccine. There's just no way. They are going to get to a point where they feel they have it relatively under control and are better equipped to test and treat people and ease people back into their normal lives.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
They aren't going to keep everything shut down until there is a vaccine. There's just no way. They are going to get to a point where they feel they have it relatively under control and are better equipped to test and treat people and ease people back into their normal lives.

Anything to back that up? because it seems like that is a LONG way off.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
If it is not safe for the fans to be at the game, why would it be safe for the players to be at the game?

Why should we expect these student athletes to risk their future careers by getting an illness that will likely leave them with 30% reduced lung capacity.

No football until a vaccine is developed is the only reasonable plan of action.

"the only reasonable plan of action...I Agree and it is probably the most likely or realistic plan of action, since Dr Fauci keeps saying we will have a 2nd wave of Covid 19 this fall......