Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I disagree. What good does it do to read about someone's idea to track social distancing? If it doesn't directly inform policy or administrative decisions, it seems inflammatory at best.
I'm not saying that we should base our policy off of this one piece of data.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I just went a mile from our house in Waukee to the Hy-Vee and there were a lot of people at some business that I'd question have any need to be open. Unfortunately, people won't always do the right thing until forced to.

I know Reynolds said yesterday that she's confident Iowans will do the right thing and stay home, but that is a chicken **** way of not making a difficult decision that now almost every other governor has made. **** politics, some people are either dumb or greedy and won't close on their own. A test of a true leader is can they make the tough call and do what is in the best interest of the population, despite what their donors or personal interests may want.

Yes, I realize that there is very little difference between a "stay at home order" and what we have today.... except for the dumbshits that keep truly non essential businesses open and are keeping their employees held hostage while they should be at home.

The longer places refuse to close, the longer those of us that have already been home for 2 weeks are going to have to stay at home. Shut it down and this all ends a lot sooner.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
I just went a mile from our house in Waukee to the Hy-Vee and there were a lot of people at some business that I'd question have any need to be open. Unfortunately, people won't always do the right thing until forced to.

I know Reynolds said yesterday that she's confident Iowans will do the right thing and stay home, but that is a chicken **** way of not making a difficult decision that now almost every other governor has made. **** politics, some people are either dumb or greedy and won't close on their own. A test of a true leader is can they make the tough call and do what is in the best interest of the population, despite what their donors or personal interests may want.

Yes, I realize that there is very little difference between a "stay at home order" and what we have today.... except for the dumbshits that keep truly non essential businesses open and are keeping their employees held hostage while they should be at home.

The longer places refuse to close, the longer those of us that have already been home for 2 weeks are going to have to stay at home. Shut it down and this all ends a lot sooner.
Bingo!

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Not that I am aware of. I was at a Ace Hardware, Theisen's and Menards all yesterday. I think I was at Lowe's on Sunday. They all just had adjusted hours.
All clothing stores have closed down. Maybe that’s what he’s talking about

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Just because you don't believe it to be essential doesn't mean it's not essential. Car dealerships, construction projects and the like will still be open if there is an Shelter in Place.

To many people think the only "essential" workers are medical, police fire, etc. and that's now how it works.

we define essential differently, then. i don't need a new car now. i don't need to fertilze my lawn now. i don't need to get a new ballpeen hammer now. part of shared sacrifice is making due until the storm blows over - not finding reasons why you shouldn't have to do your part.

there are posts on here about people designing parking lots being deemed essential, and manufacturers, who have overflowing warehouses, is deemed essential. let's just lock the whole thing down for two weeks, take our punches, and see where we are at that point.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Not that I am aware of. I was at a Ace Hardware, Theisen's and Menards all yesterday. I think I was at Lowe's on Sunday. They all just had adjusted hours.
Ah I must've been wrong. And yes, hardware stores are deemed essential. And some of the ones you listed in your last post are as well, however the Governor could still cut down from that list on what she deems essential herself. That's what a lot of other states have done.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
Legal weed stores still open and thriving out here. Essential business. Bike shops too.
This morning I saw/heard an interview on CNBC with the CEO of AB-InBev. Liquor stores in NJ and CT are considered an essential business -- and those states are under SIP orders. So what does that mean? We can maybe laugh at that, but really, ... liquor stores?

My opinion ... stay home unless you can't, then use your best judgement.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
My point is there has to be gray areas. You can't says these electricians are essential but these aren't. You can't say this business is essential but that business which provides them supplies isn't. That's my point. Someone see XYZ company as non-essential but ultimately they may be a supplier for essential company ABC. It isn't black and white.

I do agree it's dumb that Kohl's is closed because they are nonessential but JoAnn Fabrics next store is open for some reason. And don't get me started in places like Scheels and Bass Pro Shop being essential since they sell Ammo and guns.

the argument I've seen on Jo-Ann's is that they are providing materials to make masks and serving as a donation drop off point. I tend to agree with you but that's what I've read.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Just heard that an "undisclosed number of employees from Quaker Oats" have tested positive.

I know that Quaker is deemed essential and will likely continue on, but how you can look at that and say some of these businesses being open is still safe?

Reactions: bawbie

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
we define essential differently, then. i don't need a new car now. i don't need to fertilze my lawn now. i don't need to get a new ballpeen hammer now. part of shared sacrifice is making due until the storm blows over - not finding reasons why you shouldn't have to do your part.

there are posts on here about people designing parking lots being deemed essential, and manufacturers, who have overflowing warehouses, is deemed essential. let's just lock the whole thing down for two weeks, take our punches, and see where we are at that point.

Yeah you may not. But that nurse needing to get to work may need a new car or have her car repaired.

We have a landscaper working at our house and don't feel it's an issue considering hes outside working by himself with no interactions.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Family day at Menard's in Ames today!! Saw a family of six with the four kids without a care in the world running all over the place.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Just heard that an "undisclosed number of employees from Quaker Oats" have tested positive.

I know that Quaker is deemed essential and will likely continue on, but how you can look at that and say some of these businesses being open is still safe?
Reynolds will be forced into a “shelter in place” or she’s going to end up committing political suicide. She’s going to continue to get more pressure from local mayors, citizens and she’ll have to do it.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I heard they're putting the dome on the Marshall County courthouse today so I drove down there to take a look and there were hundreds of people standing out on the street. Insane.

I know a guy who sells used cars. His boss refuses to let him home because he says providing used cars is essential. That's why we need more state orders.
Someone took a picture of the dome being put in place...should help with the social distancing...

dome.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.