Shaka Smart IS returning for next season

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think this may be a case where he benefited from the season ending the way it did.

Reactions: CapnCy

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Texas don't want to write a big buyout check for a sport they don't care so much about. Plus, they are getting ready or are already building a new arena. Probably want to do the fresh arena/fresh coach thing. So hold onto Shaka one more year, see if he can turn it around. If not fire him and get a big coach with the new shiny arena.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Is it possible that Texas put out some feelers to some coaches agents and got negative feedback? Resulting them keeping the status quo?

I haven't paid attention, but maybe someone else on here has some insight?

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
If I were an AD, I’d probably take into consideration the current state we’re in with the pandemic, travel restrictions and maybe add that into the factor of whether or not I’d can the current coach I have knowing that there are those other hoops I have to jump through to find a replacement.

Reactions: CyBobby

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
For all the people who want Prohm gone here's winning % at current schools:
Shaka (conference only) = 40-50 for .444
Prohm (conference only) = 94-60 for .610
Prohm with less resources as well (budget, national brand, local recruits, etc.)

I'm surprised Shaka is back but quite frankly just don't think administrators right now want to fire & then try to hire and spend more money on a new staff with what's going on in the world.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008

please update with stats indicating where the programs were when each started

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

1- Shaka is 90-78 (.536)
2- most people who want prohm gone want him gone because they are judging him on what he's done without Hoiberg's players, and the last 3 years have been disastroous for Prohm.

Over the last 3 years:

Shaka is 25-29
Prohm is 18-33

That being said, Shaka probably deserved to be fired as well, but lets face it, 1) Texas doenst care that much about basketball so there's less incentive to pay buyouts, and 2) the virus is preventing a lot of teams from making coaching changes. The college coaching carousel has ground to a halt with all this

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If I were an AD, I’d probably take into consideration the current state we’re in with the pandemic, travel restrictions and maybe add that into the factor of whether or not I’d can the current coach I have knowing that there are those other hoops I have to jump through to find a replacement.

Yep. There havent been many changes in coaches since the whole pandemic thing hit. A lot of jobs may have been saved by it. Things are chaotic enough without bringing in a new coaching regime at most places.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
This is probably bad news for Tom Herman. Money is probably going towards firing him unless he has a big year.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
please update with stats indicating where the programs were when each started
It's not like Texas was bad when Smart took over. Barnes took them to 16 tournaments in 17 years. They were arguably a better and more stable program than Iowa State, at least on par.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
It's not like Texas was bad when Smart took over. Barnes took them to 16 tournaments in 17 years. They were arguably a better and more stable program than Iowa State, at least on par.

Barnes success at Tennessee and even Mack Brown's success at North Carolina should have told Del Conte what everyone outside of Austin already knows: UT athletes have an entitlement complex that is fed by boosters/fans/students and cannot be corrected with competent coaches. If Shaka Smart went to program like Wisconsin those kids would be a tournament team every year. The basketball coach UT needs is already at A&M

Reactions: Macloney

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Agreed. With the uncertainty of college football for next year (and the money that comes with it), buying out a contract for a sport that doesn't generate the respective revenue is probably not a good financial move.