arobb

Jan 4, 2014
Pic of curly haired girl plz
iowa-state-students-to-marcus-smart-you-flop.gif

• Friendly
Reactions: cycloneML

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Just putting this out there - I won not one but TWO ISU intramural championships. And they were in basketball, a MAJOR intramural sport. So, you know, I think I might just be in this conversation .... :)

(I think Johnny Orr has to be on there because ISU was a disaster in both BB and football before him and had no national profile. Hilton Magic preceded success in football from the Sage Rosenfels era.)

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I’ve said it once, I’ve said it 1000 times: the shoulder shrug girl in the red head mouth gif never EVER gets the credit she deserves.

In the same boat.

I think '#1 and clap' guy wraps it up very nicely.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Just putting this out there - I won not one but TWO ISU intramural championships. And they were in basketball, a MAJOR intramural sport. So, you know, I think I might just be in this conversation .... :)

(I think Johnny Orr has to be on there because ISU was a disaster in both BB and football before him and had no national profile. Hilton Magic preceded success in football from the Sage Rosenfels era.)

Some of the best football occurred in the 70’s under Earle Bruce and Johnny Majors. Basketball was really good many years before Johnny, but he put things back on the map after decades of futility.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Some of the best football occurred in the 70’s under Earle Bruce and Johnny Majors. Basketball was really good many years before Johnny, but he put things back on the map after decades of futility.
Agreed. There was a bit of a run in the 1970s but it wasn't sustained.

I think Johnny was very important in our national profile.

Just my thoughts.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I’ve said it once, I’ve said it 1000 times: the shoulder shrug girl in the red head mouth gif never EVER gets the credit she deserves.

Great point. After this analysis, is there room for Johnny on the monument?

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Chizik, Wayne Morgan, McDermott, Van de Velde.

I don't understand the implied sarcastic criticism of Wayne Morgan here. If you give him a pass on his first year like people give Prohm a pass on his third, then he went the NCAA Tournament one out of 2 years, and pulled off a tournament win. Not a bad brief career.

• Useful
Reactions: CySmurf

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Sorry about the Wayne Morgan comment... it was just a dumb joke. As a coach he probably doesn’t get as much respect as he deserves.

• Agree
Reactions: UnCytely

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Wow, a lot of names already in the mix and a lot that aren't that maybe should be....

Dexter Green
George Amundson
Meagan Taylor
Angie Welle
Georges Niang
Monte Morris
Melvin Ejim

If you think of Rushmore as those that put ISU Sports on the map I think you have to go:

1) Gary Thompson
2) Clyde Williams
3) Harold Nichols
4) Bill Fennely

I think you can trace any success in each sport back those individuals.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I don't understand the implied sarcastic criticism of Wayne Morgan here. If you give him a pass on his first year like people give Prohm a pass on his third, then he went the NCAA Tournament one out of 2 years, and pulled off a tournament win. Not a bad brief career.
Didn't he cheat?