Gilbert tournament Saturday

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think this would be worse if it was done to get 70% win, but this gets him an RPI, but doesn’t guarantee it is top 27 to get an allocation.

Does a win tonight get him to 70% win at 184?

cyclonegrap

Sep 2, 2016
So Cary Kolat is an Iowa fan? He's one of the first to call KD out on it.

Speaking of Kolat - it took me about 10 minutes to find multiple cases where a Campbell backup forfeited to a Campbell starter when they wrestled in a tournament. I found one in the Navy Open, F&M Open, and Midlands last year. Is this a milder case of match fixing? You are letting your athlete have a free win and easier path in a tournament. Backups have been forfeiting to starters for many years.

What about when a wrestler takes an injury default at a qualifier tournament. Penn State and Minnesota have done this recently. Is this match fixing? You know the outcome before the match starts. I feel this is also gaming the system.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
@jcordova8

I would like you to ask this question at your next opportunity:
"you talk often about how your wrestlers are 'entertainers' when they get on the mat". How entertaining do you think Saturday was for the fans at Columbia and/or Gilbert?
I'm sure she'll get right on asking that stupid ******* question for you. KD probably isn't that hard to track down so why don't you go ahead and ask him yourself?

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Dresser’s job is to get his guys positioned to make the NCAA.
I will be a lot happier if I have another guy or 2 to cheer for in Minneapolis.
This is what it boils down to. The system sucks but it is what it is. I hate the fact that Dresser had to do it but I'd be really pissed if our coach didn't do everything he could within the rules to give our guys the best chance to qualify. Ignore all the noise from everybody beating the moral code drum whether they're hawk fans or not.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
This is what it boils down to. The system sucks but it is what it is. I hate the fact that Dresser had to do it but I'd be really pissed if our coach didn't do everything he could within the rules to give our guys the best chance to qualify. Ignore all the noise from everybody beating the moral code drum whether they're hawk fans or not.
Blah...excuses. They could have went to the Scuffle and got matches. This is a poor look and I can admit it as an ISU fan.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
And that couldn't have been planned better too? Who does that mid-season?
Look at wrestlers across the country and you will see many that change weights mid-season. They may not always be the top wrestlers, but it happens often. Everyone hated on Okie State last year when their guys switched weights mid to late season and missed out on allocations for the conference. Do you think the rest of the conference is happy about the additional allocations or ticked off that Dresser played the system to gain allocations for the conference?

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Look at wrestlers across the country and you will see many that change weights mid-season. They may not always be the top wrestlers, but it happens often. Everyone hated on Okie State last year when their guys switched weights mid to late season and missed out on allocations for the conference. Do you think the rest of the conference is happy about the additional allocations or ticked off that Dresser played the system to gain allocations for the conference?
OK - I'll concede that I may have had a small over-reaction. I traveled all day Saturday and settled in to watch my recording of the Mizzu meet only to be met with that large turd. I can see what you guys and Dresser are saying about the allocations, but it still stinks. I think it stinks for the fans and for the wrestlers who want to compete at high levels. Maybe it is more the system than the coaches, but something needs to change.

Reactions: HitItHard58

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
OK - I'll concede that I may have had a small over-reaction. I traveled all day Saturday and settled in to watch my recording of the Mizzu meet only to be met with that large turd. I can see what you guys and Dresser are saying about the allocations, but it still stinks. I think it stinks for the fans and for the wrestlers who want to compete at high levels. Maybe it is more the system than the coaches, but something needs to change.
I think everyone can agree that something needs to change. That change needs to happen at the NCAA level and not the Head Coach level. I think that allocations are determined much better than in the past, but the current system is certainly flawed and should be reviewed. Wrestling needs to continue to promote excitement for regular season competition. The current allocation system causes late season disappointment for fans.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I believe also with Carr, you need to compete within 30 days to be in coaches rankings. So Dresser felt better having Carr wrestle an Iowa State guy than someone that doesn’t care cranking on his knee

Help Support Us

Become a patron