Gilbert tournament Saturday

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
I follow wrestling casually, both isu and others, and I have no idea the strategy being described here. Purposely tanking a dual instead sending guys to a tourney so they can injury default? The ncaa surprises again, what a farce.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
This Daily article from last year has a good explanation of allocation criteria. Only difference this year is they lowered RPI number of match requirements from 17 to 15. I believe David wrestled one match to assure he was eligible to be ranked in the coaches poll. https://www.iowastatedaily.com/spor...cle_f77b9f9a-3a0a-11e9-95e4-3ba9f6065d7c.html
And he could have as easily wrestled that match against a good opponent at Mizzu. Not holding this against DC as I doubt it was his decision, but it sucks.

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
Nobody lost an opportunity to wrestle at nationals today. That happens in 2 weeks.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that what you mean here is that the allocations perhaps gained today do not exclude anyone from earning a spot to the NCAAs. Rather, earning a spot for your conference will diminish the number of at-large positions that will be available. In 2 weeks, every wrestler still has an opportunity to earn one of the NCAA berths that have been allocated to their conference. And, barring that event, you can still get in on an at-large bid, but only if your body of work throughout the season catches the eye of the NCAA to the point that they then invite you.

As I see it, the actions taken today benefit the conference more than teams or the individual. In two weeks you still have to earn your berth.

Okie State screwed over the conference (and ultimately a wrestler) when they switched their weights last year and lost the auto qualifiers. But everyone still had the opportunity to earn a berth. Chase Straw took the only auto by winning the whole damn show!

cywr89

May 14, 2009
And he could have as easily wrestled that match against a good opponent at Mizzu. Not holding this against DC as I doubt it was his decision, but it sucks.
DC is a ways from going live. He wrestled a teammate that wouldn’t go hard. Parker got hurt last week and may not wrestle today either. The rest could have gone but as stated above coaches felt it was more important to get matches in. You can blame the stupid 15 match minimum. It doesn’t take 15 to determine who the top. 20-30 kids are. The current system rewards the kid who has a soft schedule and doesn’t get hurt. Hopefully, they review again and drop it to 12 or even 10. If you are hurt and miss early season tournaments this is about all the matches you can get in without doing something like this.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
DC is a ways from going live. He wrestled a teammate that wouldn’t go hard. Parker got hurt last week and may not wrestle today either. The rest could have gone but as stated above coaches felt it was more important to get matches in. You can blame the stupid 15 match minimum. It doesn’t take 15 to determine who the top. 20-30 kids are. The current system rewards the kid who has a soft schedule and doesn’t get hurt. Hopefully, they review again and drop it to 12 or even 10. If you are hurt and miss early season tournaments this is about all the matches you can get in without doing something like this.

This. Love it or hate it the coaches did what they had to based on the rules. Kudos to Dresser for getting it done!

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
So Degen and Carr qualify for allocations. Where do Colbray and Coleman sit ? If I’m looking at it right Coleman needs one more match for 15 and his win % is below 70 ?
Not sure how to figure in the MFFs for Sam

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So Degen and Carr qualify for allocations. Where do Colbray and Coleman sit ? If I’m looking at it right Coleman needs one more match for 15 and his win % is below 70 ?
Not sure how to figure in the MFFs for Sam

Coleman wins tonight and he gets it I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
While the Coleman bracket has turned into a nightmare, everyone of the Iowa State backups except Stotts wrestled a SDSU or Minnesota kid to advance.
We had our guys spread out across the bracket & won all the matchups.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
While the Coleman bracket has turned into a nightmare, everyone of the Iowa State backups except Stotts wrestled a SDSU or Minnesota kid to advance.
We had our guys spread out across the bracket & won all the matchups.

Why was it a nightmare?

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
read the reply & talk on Twitter
Lots of the same on FB . My point to those people is it is the system that the NCAA created; it is not Iowa State,not Dresser, not Coleman but the NCAA that causes this to happen. Very well could have been an athlete from their school in the same position. None of us should like it but there is only one place to put the blame.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Lots of the same on FB . My point to those people is it is the system that the NCAA created; it is not Iowa State,not Dresser, not Coleman but the NCAA that causes this to happen. Very well could have been an athlete from their school in the same position. None of us should like it but there is only one place to put the blame.
While that is true, the ISU wrestlers did not need to forfeit to Coleman. This looks like match fixing to me.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Not a good look for our program. Hopefully there’s no repercussions for this because it very much looks like match fixing.
No it’s not. The ncaa can’t do crap about it because it’s their damn rules that Kevin is manipulating as best he can for our guys. They didn’t do one thing wrong. If the NCAA changes the rules, Dresser will change how he plays the game. Until then, good job coach. Do whatever you gotta do.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Here leads to the problem. (Using Flo last rankings)

At 174, his losses are to #1, #5, #9, #20
At 184, his losses are to #1, #4, #6, #15, #17
And a win at 174 over #8, but that doesn't count

He has 9 matches at 174 and had 10 at 184 (before Saturday),
but he is not eligible for an at large bid because he doesn't have the win %age or enough matches at 184 for a RPI.

Hands get kind of tied. He had 0 chance to get an allocation based on the current system

I guess we need to not go to these tough tourneys or put Iowa, Ok State on the schedule.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ajbjunior

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
It has to be humbling to the guys who needed those wins, but I applaud the coaches for doing everything they can, within the rules, to put the program in the best position to succeed. If the people complaining (Hawkeye fans) take such offense, they should push for the rules to get changed at a national level.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
It has to be humbling to the guys who needed those wins, but I applaud the coaches for doing everything they can, within the rules, to put the program in the best position to succeed. If the people complaining (Hawkeye fans) take such offense, they should push for the rules to get changed at a national level.
If it really is the Hawk fans complaining, hope they take a look at their own coach who's of one of the biggest ducking coaches in the nation.

• Winner
Reactions: CyTwins

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It’s really the dumbest thing ever that they care about this. Favorites to win it all and they b*tch about a coach from another school trying to get a couple more guys just into the tourney? Weird.

• Agree
Reactions: Scott34