Historic losses piling up this season...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The narrative about about Iowa State basketball, and Stave Prohm, is a lot different in the rest of the country than in the 27 people on here that forward the agenda. Not saying it’s right, just different.

I am guessing the hard core redundancy posters here don't exactly have the AD on speed dial. It's not like they are Director or Victory level donors, hell I doubt most are donors of any level. Not sure what the AD will end up doing but guessing he's not likely to be impacted that much by some guys sitting at home watching on TV and freaking out because their beer is warm and their pizza is cold. The AD ain't coming to CF as his go to source for analytics.

Given the choice of quietly riding it out and waiting to see what the AD does or sitting in the corner screaming like a little baby, I'll elect the more mature option. Thinking I'll probably be supportive whatever the decision is.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
I am not a Prohm defender, but I think the man has been a good coach for the program, and has earned the right to another season.

We lost 80% of our scoring from last year, and 2 recruits left the team, before the season had even started. We then lost our best player to injury. I know, you are going to say, "look at TT, or some other team, they lost a lot and are doing fine." ISU is never going to be a reload program, we have to sign and develop and hope that those that do, are here more than a season or two.

We have a strong class coming in next year, and I hope that our young players do improve, that does happen. If we are in this same fix next year, we need to fire Prohm and move on. So unless we are going to hire the former Michigan coach, who is 67 years old, lets give Prohm another year. Orz. will still be there a year from now to hire if we need too.
How many straight years under our last coach did we replace about that much production, and still make the tourney. It's one thing to miss the tourney, it's another to own multiple historical losses in a single season.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
My cash is still on ISUFan22. Someone should set up a site bet on it(or whatever thats called) and get a mod to report back.
my favorite theories

Him and Macloney are the same person
Him and Pollard are the same person.

Most accurate: Him and mikem are the same person.

• Agree
  • Optimistic
Reactions: CyBobby and Doc

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Just because we're tired of hearing from you doesn't mean we're Prohm defenders. You're right, being loud and obnoxious about it doesn't make you more right, it just makes you loud and obnoxious.

It’s that they constantly think if anyone deviates from their fire the coach mentality that they’re defending him, or my personal favorite accept mediocrity.

I have yet to read one comment on here saying prohm is a great coach. But if you happen to think that he isn’t the worst coach in the history of the game, and should be drawn and quartered in the middle of campus, then you’re defending him. Hyperbole aside, that is what it is here.

We started to see the armor getting penetrated during football too.

people notice, not just the ad.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
my favorite theories

Him and Macloney are the same person
Him and Pollard are the same person.

Most accurate: Him and mikem are the same person.

Gotta be tough to be such a small man So I don’t judge you.

• Dislike
Reactions: CyBobby

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
People forget how quickly a basketball program can turn around. It is not like football where you need to build program depth, consistency, and develop guys over the course of their college careers. You can plug one guy in and GO.

Plug in one guy like a projected top 10 lottery pick? Even before ISU's guy got hurt the trend was bad. Most times I would agree with you but ISU needs 3-4 more Big 12 caliber contributors. Maybe the players are there right now, just not coached properly?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Plug in one guy like a projected top 10 lottery pick? Even before ISU's guy got hurt the trend was bad. Most times I would agree with you but ISU needs 3-4 more Big 12 caliber contributors. Maybe the players are there right now, just not coached properly?

Your point about somehow improving while losing Haliburton is a strong one.

I am just trying to look for a hopeful upside --

One or two guys can completely change a basketball team. You need one or two stars. It is not like football where you need to build everything from the foundation up.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Give this team THT in a good place and they make the tourney.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Your point about somehow improving while losing Haliburton is a strong one.

I am just trying to look for a hopeful upside --

One or two guys can completely change a basketball team. You need one or two stars. It is not like football where you need to build everything from the foundation up.

You are absolutely correct, 1 or 2 guys can make a huge difference but there has to be role players/other contributors there. There can't be a massive drop off like I think there is right now. I honestly don't know if it is the players or the coaching they receive, I really don't. I know we have some recruits that were rated high and i don't know if they are a 'bust' or not coached properly, tough to tell.

I know some of the things I've seen the team do and not do. I've told my 3rd grade boys to watch Solo play, he's always boxing out and giving good effort. Many of the other players are not doing that. I hate how we don't rebound offensively. I know Prohm has said he wants to stop transition baskets for other teams but it just annoys the piss out of me.

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
So unless we are going to hire the former Michigan coach, who is 67 years old, lets give Prohm another year. Orz. will still be there a year from now to hire if we need too.
I don’t think there’s any guarantee that TJ will be waiting in the wings when and if we need him. He’s getting to be a pretty hot name in coaching, especially after the win at SDS. Who knows, he may be doing well enough next year that he will have his pick of programs to go to.

Cyfanisu

Mar 31, 2019
☝️ exactly this

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
It's still hard to believe that this team continues lose by as much as it does--at home. There seems to be no glue, and that may be a bigger problem than a guy going to the NBA and another getting hurt.

But maybe the Cyclones put it all together in KC as usual......

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's still hard to believe that this team continues lose by as much as it does--at home. There seems to be no glue, and that may be a bigger problem than a guy going to the NBA and another getting hurt.

But maybe the Cyclones put it all together in KC as usual......

They don't have the ability to put together something like that.

Could win the Wednesday game but after that...

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84 and BigD

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You are absolutely correct, 1 or 2 guys can make a huge difference but there has to be role players/other contributors there. There can't be a massive drop off like I think there is right now. I honestly don't know if it is the players or the coaching they receive, I really don't. I know we have some recruits that were rated high and i don't know if they are a 'bust' or not coached properly, tough to tell.

I know some of the things I've seen the team do and not do. I've told my 3rd grade boys to watch Solo play, he's always boxing out and giving good effort. Many of the other players are not doing that. I hate how we don't rebound offensively. I know Prohm has said he wants to stop transition baskets for other teams but it just annoys the piss out of me.

I agree with you on Solomon --

His ratio of effort divided by talent is by far the highest on the team.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Give this team THT in a good place and they make the tourney.

No way. I don’t know how someone watches this team (even with Halliburton) and thinks we are one player away. We just got drilled by 30 at home against a rebuilding Tech team. And we’ve lost by 20 points to the top Big 12 teams this year. That’s not going to change with one other good player.