Weather Thread - 1/16 to 1/18

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
People in Arizona are the only people I'm jealous of this time of year.

Ohio has bigger cities, but outside of that it's like eastern Iowa on steroids.

tenor.gif

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
People in Arizona are the only people I'm jealous of this time of year.

Ohio has bigger cities, but outside of that it's like eastern Iowa on steroids.

Arizona is a dump. I'm only real jealous of people in San Diego.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Now a winter storm warning. So the locals are starting to parrot the nationals. Be interesting to see how this plays out. The NWS is even hinting at issuing a blizzard warning for north and central Iowa.
Actually not at all the case if you read the warning. Forecasted totals at my shop really haven't changed. NWS forecast shaved maybe an inch or so off most of their Central Iowa totals.

Do believe their could be a Blizzard Warning upgrade for Northern Iowa with the wind, either for Friday afternoon, or for the day on Saturday.

Less likely for Blizzard Warning around Des Moines if the freezing drizzle pans out as expected. Crusts over the snow so it won't blow around.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
The forecasted ice, plus almost 50 mph winds scare the crap out of me. Might not have much of a weekend at all. Whats the ice forecast for north central Iowa?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The forecasted ice, plus almost 50 mph winds scare the crap out of me. Might not have much of a weekend at all. Whats the ice forecast for north central Iowa?

I saw on the Weather Channel they named this storm “Winter Storm North Central IA is ******”

• Optimistic
Reactions: cmjh10

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Actually not at all the case if you read the warning. Forecasted totals at my shop really haven't changed. NWS forecast shaved maybe an inch or so off most of their Central Iowa totals.

Do believe their could be a Blizzard Warning upgrade for Northern Iowa with the wind, either for Friday afternoon, or for the day on Saturday.

Less likely for Blizzard Warning around Des Moines if the freezing drizzle pans out as expected. Crusts over the snow so it won't blow around.

I didn't read the warning. This is from the 2:42pm discussion based on winds and ice accruals or lack thereof. From the writings is seems the winds are a forgone conclusion. What isn't, which they stated would need to be addressed by later discussions, is when or if there will be a changeover and to what extent. And they did mention a blizzard warning could be issued by later periods for central Iowa based upon trends.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
I didn't read the warning. This is from the 2:42pm discussion based on winds and ice accruals or lack thereof. From the writings is seems the winds are a forgone conclusion. What isn't, which they stated would need to be addressed by later discussions, is when or if there will be a changeover and to what extent. And they did mention a blizzard warning could be issued by later periods for central Iowa based upon trends.
Right.

But as far as I know, nobody local is forecasting 6 to 11 inches like the post you quoted saying "locals parroting national" now. So if TWC or other nationals were/are still going that high, they are definitely quite a bit higher than local forecasts like ours that are calling for ~3" in Des Moines, with 6 or 7 north.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I have no idea why he brags about Columbus Ohio so much on here. Nobody living here in Iowa is jealous.

I've lived in Columbus, Ohio. Weather is the same as DSM, the downtown is dead after 5 pm, and the people are constantly whining about why nobody thinks Columbus is as cool as Chicago and other big cities.

Reactions: awd4cy