Question internet in central Iowa

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Not to hijack the thread (he says as he proceeds to hijack the thread) but if someone can suggest a good tool that helps you to easily identify and manage devices using your network, I'd love to hear it. We're about to cut the cord and we have so many devices I want to know what's connected without having to look up IP addresses or complicated device ID numbers.

Perhaps it's as simple as having a better router management page. I've got a five year old TP Link and it's not the most user-friendly.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Not to hijack the thread (he says as he proceeds to hijack the thread) but if someone can suggest a good tool that helps you to easily identify and manage devices using your network, I'd love to hear it. We're about to cut the cord and we have so many devices I want to know what's connected without having to look up IP addresses or complicated device ID numbers.

Perhaps it's as simple as having a better router management page. I've got a five year old TP Link and it's not the most user-friendly.
get the app FING, will help for the issue above... and will look at devices when using unfamiliar wifi.

• Agree
Reactions: Trice

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

Upgrade your router. I have an ASUS router I bought years ago and manage from my cell phone.

I have Mediacom for internet and voice (gasp!). I work from home and am on the phone quite a bit. Service has been great, wish I could buy my own modem, but the voice line precludes that.

• Agree

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Upgrade your router. I have an ASUS router I bought years ago and manage from my cell phone.

I have Mediacom for internet and voice (gasp!). I work from home and am on the phone quite a bit. Service has been great, wish I could buy my own modem, but the voice line precludes that.
our IP phone solution is VirtualPBX, and we have Mediacom Internet. Love both.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

I have a Google WiFi and I can manage everything from an app on my phone (great system too). I would safely guess that if you're buying anything made in the last 2 years they are managed the same way. I'd encourage anyone replacing their router to look into mesh systems.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

Get google wifi routers or now google nest routers. You can seem every device, how much speed each one is using and has used in the past month via the google wifi app on your phone. I am sitting at my work office and can see every device that is hooked up to wifi right now and how much bandwidth its using.

Google wifi is A++ imo for ease of set up and performance.

• Agree

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around

I agree. We have the Mediacom voice line as well as our smart phones. With the voice line there are few, if no, modems that provide that and also work with Mediacom's system. So I have stayed with the Hitron modem provided by Mediacom and it has performed very well. I have many wireless devices connected to it including the garage door system, Mediacom Home Security System, the car, cell phones, some computers (not all of them), one of the TV's, tablets, Kindles, fitness trackers, etc.

Last edited:

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Another happy Mediacom customer. The only thing I don't like about Mediacom is the phone tech support, but I don't call them real often. And face it, ALL phone support sucks

They've come out several times and ended up rerunning the line to the house, and no charge. In fact, I've never gotten charged for service visits from them, but I take care of everything inside my house.

Agree on getting your own modem and own router. Modem and router are two separate pieces of equipment. Extra credit if you have router, modem, and wireless AP's

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I have a Google WiFi and I can manage everything from an app on my phone (great system too). I would safely guess that if you're buying anything made in the last 2 years they are managed the same way. I'd encourage anyone replacing their router to look into mesh systems.

I have 3 Asus onhubs. One in basement, one upstairs and one in my detached garage. Have wifi coverage my entire 1/3 acre and around the block.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Ok so you've all convinced me to switch to Mediacom. Now is it worth it to get the 1 gig or should I go with 100?

You can never have too much speed. If you select a promo deal, make sure to check what the second year cost is. For the gig its well over $100/month in the second year.

You can always upgrade speed if needed. I'd start with the 100mbps and go from there.

The biggest difference you will notice between CL and mediacom is the upload speed.

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Ok so you've all convinced me to switch to Mediacom. Now is it worth it to get the 1 gig or should I go with 100?
Go big or go home! Just joking. Why not ask them for a business account and see what advantages that has?

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
I haven't read through all of this. You may want to investigate getting a business line, it costs more but you don't have to share with the neighborhood and you get serviced before your neighbors within a guaranteed timeline. Also, I agree with buying your own router and don't go cheap on the router. Finally, when you are at home you need to have a direct ethernet connection from your desktop/laptop to your router. Direct connection is always better than Wi-Fi.

I would see if your local city has discussed being the Municipal Broadband Provider. Run those corporate bastards out of the city. They did it here in Fort Collins, CO and Longmont, CO. Fort Collins municipal fiber will be $60 a month for 1000mbps (Yes, I said it, 1GB). For the low-income folk, it will be less per month but at least they can be a part of it as well.

Last edited:

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Data caps have always been my fear with Mediacom. I have no idea how much I use a month. Currently have 12.5 mbps Century Link service. Works fine for Netflix and stuff but has always struggled on Cyclones.tv. I’ve been making it work for now after I spent the first few months without internet at my new place (Mediacom couldn’t install it and they screwed up my Dish). Is it worth it to revisit? I also like that Century Link doesn’t raise the price. I’m holding out hope for a municipal internet provider.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Just did a speed test. I have Mediacom and my 5G connection just gave me 138.3 Mbps.

P.S. I work from home also.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I cannot imagine what you need 1 Gb down speeds for. So the other questions are to data cap and upload speeds.

100 Mb will get you 1 TB of data. My wife and I stream everything and typically use less than 500 GB a month. The last 30 days shows 683 GB, but that includes 230 GB in one day from replacing my PS4 harddrive. The 1Gb plan gets you 6 TB, which you'd have to try to exceed in 30 days.

I average 130 down/18 up on the 100/10 plan. Their gig plan shows 50 up. If you do a lot of live streaming/large file uploads from home that might be worth it to you.

Question is is it worth $30 a month.

royalcy

Feb 7, 2016

Nice choice. Now if you are real smart, you will figure out how to get free mediacom tv in all of your rooms without paying any more money. Good luck

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Data caps have always been my fear with Mediacom. I have no idea how much I use a month. Currently have 12.5 mbps Century Link service. Works fine for Netflix and stuff but has always struggled on Cyclones.tv. I’ve been making it work for now after I spent the first few months without internet at my new place (Mediacom couldn’t install it and they screwed up my Dish). Is it worth it to revisit? I also like that Century Link doesn’t raise the price. I’m holding out hope for a municipal internet provider.
Data cap on 100 Mbps service is 1000 Gigs/month. It's pretty hard to use up that much bandwidth. I do a lot of surfing and some streaming. With all of our devices and streaming I use less than 100 Gigs/month and Cyclones.tv and ESPN streaming comes in perfectly.

Annotation 2020-01-02 131632.png

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron