Steve Prohm

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
People are going to point out that we don’t have THT, Wigginton or Lard. THT is understandable, you can’t blame a kid for getting drafted. You can’t lose Wigginton to get undrafted. That’s on the coach. You can’t lose Lard to the G league because of his attitude. That’s on the coach.

Prohm is goin to have to realize he’s going to have to push harder for talent to stick around or else he won’t be sticking for long.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Well looks like everyone is on the bus now. Only 2 questions now are when does he get fired and who will be next coach.

I think JP will pull the trigger after next season. Optics of firing him a year after an extension and conf tourney champ are bad. Plus buyout costs. Thats my guess.

As far as next coach, ive no idea.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Well looks like everyone is on the bus now. Only 2 questions now are when does he get fired and who will be next coach.

I think JP will pull the trigger after next season. Optics of firing him a year after an extension and conf tourney champ are bad. Plus buyout costs. Thats my guess.

As far as next coach, ive no idea.

We likely need to know who's available in 2022 or 2023.
Needs to happen now, but I don't see JP getting it done.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
It’s time for major changes. A bold move is needed - fire Prohm after the season, and hire Hoiberg away from Nebraska. We need to act before this program gets any worse.
Posts like this confuse me. You realize Nebraska has a ridiculous buyout for him right? We don't have all the money in the world to bring Fred back to Ames.

Reactions: CyBobby

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
People are going to point out that we don’t have THT, Wigginton or Lard. THT is understandable, you can’t blame a kid for getting drafted. You can’t lose Wigginton to get undrafted. That’s on the coach. You can’t lose Lard to the G league because of his attitude. That’s on the coach.

Prohm is goin to have to realize he’s going to have to push harder for talent to stick around or else he won’t be sticking for long.

Yep, losing Wiggs and Lard was a failure to manage personalities/egos/playing time last season. If his intention was a my way or the highway approach then he failed to recruit for those departures when it was clear those guys were hitting the highway. And that result was clear well before the end of the season to anyone paying attention, let alone the head coach.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
The fact that he refused to make any starting lineup changes after the Iowa loss tells you all you need to know. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

He needs to sit Nixon and Jacobson and bring in Conditt and Lewis into the starting lineup. He is just too stubborn to change.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
Prohm seems to like letting the players take some bumpy losses to get their attention. If that led to finishing strong in the Big Dance and ever improving recruiting it would work. Big 12 tournament wins are nice for fans but probably doesn’t help national perception the same way a sweet sixteens do.

It is hard to see a win over KU, WVU or BU. 6-10 in conference may be a good outcome this year. Prohm has playing time to offer recruits. He has to hold onto a top 25 recruiting class or the downward slide will be complete. Empty seats, uninspiring coaching and poor recruiting won’t keep a coach around.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It really sucks. I think most of us on here want Prohm to succeed; seems like a great guy and good ambassador for ISU. At the end of the day though, this is college basketball and its about wins and losses.

That's the tough part, Prohm is a good guy and he does things right.

But something is wrong with this team. We are playing worse on Dec 31 than Nov 30. We look lost as a team- no identity, no passion.

Also not seeing any individual development out of young guys like Conditt, Griffin, Jackson and Grill.

It's hard to turn a program that gets used to losing. Prohm needs to shake up his staff and create serious competition. IMO he needs to hit the JUCO's hard this spring. Grad transfers work great if they compliment a solid roster. But grad transfers are just cocaine for a weak roster.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Posts like this confuse me. You realize Nebraska has a ridiculous buyout for him right? We don't have all the money in the world to bring Fred back to Ames.

Defeatist attitudes like this confuse me. We need to dream big as a program. We need bold leadership and we shouldn’t settle for a lesser basketball program to save a few bucks. We shouldn’t be too intimidated by Nebraska of all programs.

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Prohm seems to like letting the players take some bumpy losses to get their attention. If that led to finishing strong in the Big Dance and ever improving recruiting it would work. Big 12 tournament wins are nice for fans but probably doesn’t help national perception the same way a sweet sixteens do.

It is hard to see a win over KU, WVU or BU. 6-10 in conference may be a good outcome this year. Prohm has playing time to offer recruits. He has to hold onto a top 25 recruiting class or the downward slide will be complete. Empty seats, uninspiring coaching and poor recruiting won’t keep a coach around.

You think he likes losing? If so he is the wrong guy. No. I don’t think he lets the team take tough losses intentionally. I think his teams are poorly coached with too much roster turnover which results in bad losses.

Agree with everything else.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

And on that early loss thing-----if only winning the games weren't the whole point.
Taking losses to get their attention doesn't accomplish a thing but show a man is stubborn.

• Agree
Reactions: Wally86

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Defeatist attitudes like this confuse me. We need to dream big as a program. We need bold leadership and we shouldn’t settle for a lesser basketball program to save a few bucks. We shouldn’t be too intimidated by Nebraska of all programs.
I agree we need to dream big, but you cannot tell me it is logical to pull Fred from Nebby when they have a buyout like they do. It's like buying a vehicle you cannot currently afford.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones423