Has Campbell Plateaued?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
probably premature to say plateaued.

A regression this year for sure, but given our recruiting being better than it was and that talent getting older in the program there's still plenty of potential for growth.

• Agree
Reactions: bos and SCNCY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The humanitarian bowl to Boise state was the worst bowl loss in school hist.

That is properly called the Humiliation Bowl, aka Smurf Turf Bowl. ;)

Not going to argue which was worse although my lean was for today because of the margin and the bigger stage it was played on.

Actually, to me, this season feels somewhat like that season. Not mirror images for sure. However, unfulfilled expectations were very similar, 2002 after starting 6-1 (being ranked #10) than augering in and this year after three missed opportunities than a collapse in the last two games. Both teams with hot shot quarterbacks beloved by fans and media etc. 7-7 and 7-6 for those two seasons when fans were thinking much more might be accomplished.

#seneca_was_in.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It happens almost every time we try to run jet temple.

I was a little disappointed we didn't see that little screenish thing that OSU sealed that game with that's been picked off several times over the last three seasons.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That is properly called the Humiliation Bowl, aka Smurf Turf Bowl. ;)

Not going to argue which was worse although my lean was for today because of the margin and the bigger stage it was played on.

Actually, to me, this season feels somewhat like that season. Not mirror images for sure. However, unfulfilled expectations were very similar, 2002 after starting 6-1 (being ranked #10) than augering in and this year after three or four missed opportunities than a dive in the last two games. Both teams with hot shot quarterbacks beleoved by fans and media etc. 7-7 and 7-6 for those two seasons when fans were thinking much more might be accomplished.

#seneca_was_in.

2005 is my comparison except ISU has better players now.

I think.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Matt Campbell will have ISU playing in the Big 12 title game within the next 2 years and if we are lucky we will be able to keep him for a whole lot longer and for once in my freaking lifetime have a HC that lasts more than 6-7 years.

It doesn't excuse the atrocious play calling on numerous occasions in this game and lack of adjustments or the piss poor play on D at times..

The scenario listed in the first paragraph above is not going to happen as long as the ongoing things happening in the second paragraph are not corrected. And it's not just this game.

The offensive coaching staff seems unable to anticipate the opponent's possible defensive strategies, and seems unable to make gametime adjustments. This has been the case for three years.

Fundamentals are lacking in numerous area. ISU can't return a punt.

The staff seems unable to prepare the team for games mentally and emotionally. The team routinely comes out flat and tentative, and spots the opponents large leads.

There is no QB development. The OL development is not much better.

These things are the ceiling to the program, and it is not a good look for a program four years in. IMO, these issues point to deficiencies on the coaching staff.

ISU was playing equal with Baylor and Iowa at the beginning of the year. At the end of the year, Iowa and BU are top 15 teams, and ISU struggled to beat Kansas. The ISU regression during the season is concerning. Something is not right.

Last edited:

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
They are all still developmental guys. Who progressed between last year and this? Kolar? Almost everyone else on the team stayed still or regressed. This staff needs a shakeup.
Are you kidding? Vance had a breakout year and was one of the sack leaders in college football before his injury. Chase Allen, Soehner, Deshaunte, McDonald, Lawrence White... there were several players that took big steps this year. This staff can recruit and unlike past staffs, they develop players. Maybe the problem is the x's and o's? I don't really know, but 7-6 with this level of talent is disappointing.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
2005 is my comparison except ISU has better players now.

I think.

Now I am gonna kinda hate you for a few minutes for reminding me of that Houston Bowl Still can hear that stupid Frog Horn thing TCU brought to the game horning off all of the time. Just added audio insult to the injury of going to the game. :(

• Agree
Reactions: Cyballz

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Now I am gonna kinda hate you for a few minutes for reminding me of that Houston Bowl Still can hear that stupid Frog Horn thing TCU brought to the game horning off all of the time. Just added audio insult to the injury of going to the game. :(

That game was on par for that season.

Today's wasn't on par for the season, but it's what happens when you're not very fundamentally strong.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
200.gif

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines
So 7 wins is now a bad year? Is that where we are as a program? That's where Campbell has taken us? Think about that for a second before calling him out.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
The scenario listed in the first paragraph above is not going to happen as long as the ongoing things happening in the second paragraph are not corrected. And it's not just this game.

The offensive coaching staff seems unable to anticipate the opponent's possible defensive strategies, and seems unable to make gametime adjustments. This has been the case for three years.

Fundamentals are lacking in numerous area. ISU can't return a punt.

The staff seems unable to prepare the team for games mentally and emotionally. The team routinely comes out flat and tentative, and spots the opponents large leads.

There is no QB development. The OL development is not much better.

These things are the ceiling to the program, and it is not a good look for a program four years in. IMO, these issues point to deficiencies on the coaching staff.

ISU was playing equal with Baylor and Iowa at the beginning of the year. At the end of the year, Iowa and BU are top 15 teams, and ISU struggled to beat Kansas. The ISU regression during the season is concerning. Something is not right.
It would be nice to see our local media discuss these points with CMC instead of sucking up to him all the time

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Anyone who suggests Campbell should be fired or on the hot seat is crazy and has forgotten the state of our FB program for nearly it's entire non-Campbell life. He and staff are excellent recruiters, appear to bring in high-quality kids, and have significantly raised the floor of the program. Kudos to CMC and staff.

Having said that, the issues that appeared today have been there all year and will need some significant improvement for this program to raise the ceiling on what it can achieve. A few things that come to mind, and these all seem like they start with CMC, as opposed to a specific assistant:
  • Special Teams have been an embarrassment all year. I'm talking about schemes and philosophy, not personnel - Rivera and Assalley (and snapper) performed pretty well. The return game was nonexistent. I know Milton fumbled, but I was thrilled when I saw that we were actually going to turn him loose on returns today. We hardly ever gave him or Kene a chance to make a play - fair catches all year long. Special Teams are nearly as important as O & D and to essentially raise the white flag all year on both punt and kick returns blows my mind - we even did so when we should have significantly more skill on the field - e.g., UNI - and even when we could have used a big play in a game. Name one outstanding coach who's special teams are a net neutral, let alone a net negative/white flag... And, what does this tell your team? We're afraid of failing? Serious improvement necessary on this front.
  • Game strategy - CMC does go for it sometimes on 4th down, but, overall, is extremely conservative in all we do. Having no willingness to put the QB under center in short-yardage and goal-line situations also boggles the mind. The intent in every game appears to be to make it a close game - even where we should have a talent advantage. Basically, an issue in all games this year, other than possibly ULM. The conservatism started in the UNI game and ran through the entire season.
  • Play calling - Manning might be part of the problem, but this has been questionable the entire time under the CMC regime. Last year, we were able to have great players named Montgomery and Butler bail us out a lot. A few examples - UNI game: no attempt to have Purdy carry the ball on RPOs (this occurred in later games too; don't know if Purdy was hurt later), and w/ our line, that deception is important; Ok St - went wild with passing and forgot about Hall and the running game, which had had success; K St - they were so aggressive at the line of scrimmage and to the ball, yet we made no attempt to use this against them: reverse (have we ever run one?), screen play...; short-yardage calls in most games, including today, boggle the mind. Today - we forgot about Hall out of the backfield; why in the world we tried to run a quick snap after Shaw caught the ball at the three late in the 1st half blows my mind. We should have been running the clock down to take any time away from ND to score. Our OL tends to jump in situations like this anyway... so, we try to quick snap and jump. Wow.
  • Fundamentals - as has been noted by others; for a team trying to win in the margins, we have more than our share of dumb penalties/offsides/etc.
  • D - Was a little down this year and couldn't get successful pressure on the QB. Others seem to have caught up with our scheme. I expect Heacock will figure something out. Not sure how our DBs & LBs are so incapable of catching INTs, but I hope that was just a one-year thing.
Again, CMC has really elevated the program, but he needs to assess what needs to be done to raise the ceiling.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Are you kidding? Vance had a breakout year and was one of the sack leaders in college football before his injury. Chase Allen, Soehner, Deshaunte, McDonald, Lawrence White... there were several players that took big steps this year. This staff can recruit and unlike past staffs, they develop players. Maybe the problem is the x's and o's? I don't really know, but 7-6 with this level of talent is disappointing.

Talent was there this year but competitive attitude was lacking. All I know is that Butler and Montgomery wouldn’t have got their asses kicked in a bowl game like this.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Even in a loss Campbell had the team playing hard against a very good Notre Dame team. The foundation of the program is solid. Love the direction we are headed. Maybe the 7-6 season keeps the wolves away from Campbell. We missed a healthy Good-Jones. Need to take care of the ball. But no way was I ashamed of the effort of our Cyclones Football. Team. They made me proud.