Game Atmosphere

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I said this to the group I was with Saturday but I can’t imagine it’s that much more expensive (relative to AD money) to put towels out for the entire stadium not just the student section. And it would look 100 times cooler

Reactions: CloneFan4

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
At least after years of it being a problem every since they rebuilt the concourses and concession stands they finally figured out that some of the after game traffic problems can be alleviated if they move the condiment tables up against the closed stands rather than leaving them crosswise out in the middle of the concourse.

Good job, people.

I remember times after games when it gets really congested, but no one actually moves the condiment tables. If two people take 10 seconds, it makes a huge difference.

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
My only gripe about Saturday's game (other than the final outcome) was once again, the slow service at the concession stands on the west side. I think it's past time to no longer staff the stands with volunteers and get more people working. Waiting in line for 25 minutes to get a very salty basket of fried chicken and fries is just too long. And one whole concession area devoted entirely to Walking Tacos. Let's get some fast food experts to run these.

Done ranting. Hoks still suck.

I think it's a byproduct of having success. Every time I try to park I get annoyed how busy it is then I realize if we had a terrible program, I could park anywhere. Hopefully they can get the staffing to what's appropriate for 60,000+ people.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
It appears that I'm in the minority (based on comments) that doesn't like the towels in the stands. I agree it does look cool with a mass of people doing it together, but I ALWAYS seem to end up right behind somebody that is clueless about others around them and swings their arms wildly and hits me with it. And then forgets what happened 10 minutes ago and does it again at the next "get loud" moment. Or the time some guy thought that it would be a good idea to tie two together and swing it around over their head, totally oblivious...

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
At about the 13 min mark of the 3rd quarter the west concourse was still 100% full waiting in line to get food. That's ridiculous. No wonder everybody leaves at halftime
I was one of those. The chicken tenders were a popular item. if i was running things, I'd just have more people working, some doing nothing but pouring sodas, others cranking out burgers, fries, dogs, etc. Get a big inventory ready so when the crowds come up to the counter you can turn them quickly. They had two lines for each cashier. One for new orders, and a second for those of us waiting for our orders.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
At least after years of it being a problem every since they rebuilt the concourses and concession stands they finally figured out that some of the after game traffic problems can be alleviated if they move the condiment tables up against the closed stands rather than leaving them crosswise out in the middle of the concourse.

Good job, people.
My wife ran into one of the condiment carts. Those thing should be put away sooner.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
I can appreciate the concept of eating before. Most games, I personally don't need to go to the concession stands, but when we bring our kids they usually will need something to snack on. I tried 3 different times to go get them something and each time stood in a line that didn't move for about 5 minutes before giving up.

Is not being able to grab something to eat the end of the world? No. But it also is a factor you consider when deciding if the experience of being at the game outweighs just watching it at home.
sneak in some protein bars or something for the kids.That's what I do.

Reactions: STATE12

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
It appears that I'm in the minority (based on comments) that doesn't like the towels in the stands. I agree it does look cool with a mass of people doing it together, but I ALWAYS seem to end up right behind somebody that is clueless about others around them and swings their arms wildly and hits me with it. And then forgets what happened 10 minutes ago and does it again at the next "get loud" moment. Or the time some guy thought that it would be a good idea to tie two together and swing it around over their head, totally oblivious...
I threw mine up about 10 feet in the air after the obvious PI wasn't called in the third quarter. Luckily I caught it before it could land on top of someone else.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I threw mine up about 10 feet in the air after the obvious PI wasn't called in the third quarter. Luckily I caught it before it could land on top of someone else.

Isn't that required if the towels given are yellow??? :D

For me it's more about the whipping of the towel in my face when the person is oblivious to how close others are around them.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think it's a byproduct of having success. Every time I try to park I get annoyed how busy it is then I realize if we had a terrible program, I could park anywhere. Hopefully they can get the staffing to what's appropriate for 60,000+ people.

Speaking of parking... they really need to do better about that staffing that as well.. as well as better egress plans with more control over what places cars can go after games.

• Agree
Reactions: Sparkplug

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
For the TCU game in 2017 there was a box with towels in front of a couple sections around the stadium. I have the towel hanging in the man cave. I don't remember if there was a box in front of every section.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I understand that it is mostly staffed with "volunteers" but there are also 2X as many people to serve now than there was five or so years ago. I know the AD is looking into this and massive improvements are coming. Until then I will skip the concessions and walk to Campustown after the game for a burger, taco or pizza. It's cheaper and better food. I can manage to not eat for three or four hours.
Where are there these "volunteers" people speak of? Everyone I know who's worked concessions at Jack Trice have been paid - by Levy or by a sub-vendor.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Speaking of parking... they really need to do better about that staffing that as well.. as well as better egress plans with more control over what places cars can go after games.
What was the deal Saturday. It took forever to get out. We usually can get out of the lot within 10 minutes (C1/C2) but it took around an hour this week.

• Agree
Reactions: STATE12 and cygrads

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
At about the 13 min mark of the 3rd quarter the west concourse was still 100% full waiting in line to get food. That's ridiculous. No wonder everybody leaves at halftime

If people have the option to go out there to save time and money, can't blame them.

The TCU game half of the east side was shut down (I'd assume water?) so it was jammed for most of the game.

Needed a restroom and just went down the stairs to a port-o-john maybe 50 feet from the entrance.