Game Atmosphere

TDclones

Nov 29, 2006
This is my 19th year as a season ticket holder and taking in a game at JTS has been a great experience...it gets better every year! I would love to see ISU handout towels to everyone going into the game or at least the majority of everyone going into the game. Looking over and seeing the towels waving in the students section was awesome! I can only imagine what it would look like if most everyone in the stadium had a towel waving. Penn St. did this a couple weeks ago and it certainly added to the atmosphere.

Reactions: CycloneJL

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
My only gripe about Saturday's game (other than the final outcome) was once again, the slow service at the concession stands on the west side. I think it's past time to no longer staff the stands with volunteers and get more people working. Waiting in line for 25 minutes to get a very salty basket of fried chicken and fries is just too long. And one whole concession area devoted entirely to Walking Tacos. Let's get some fast food experts to run these.

Done ranting. Hoks still suck.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I had one concession worker tell the guy running the cash register to give him $15 change back after I gave him a $20 bill. He had to tell the guy at the register to give him a $10 bill and a $5 bill. WTF?

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
This is my 19th year as a season ticket holder and taking in a game at JTS has been a great experience...it gets better every year! I would love to see ISU handout towels to everyone going into the game or at least the majority of everyone going into the game. Looking over and seeing the towels waving in the students section was awesome! I can only imagine what it would look like if most everyone in the stadium had a towel waving. Penn St. did this a couple weeks ago and it certainly added to the atmosphere.
Agree about the experience getting better. I think it's time we as fans take responsibility to bring towels ourselves - I know we have several sets we have collected over the years. Maybe all of us on CF can start bringing towels (Cardinal or gold) to every game and start pushing this and maybe it will catch on.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Agree about the experience getting better. I think it's time we as fans take responsibility to bring towels ourselves - I know we have several sets we have collected over the years. Maybe all of us on CF can start bringing towels (Cardinal or gold) to every game and start pushing this and maybe it will catch on.
giphy.gif

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
At about the 13 min mark of the 3rd quarter the west concourse was still 100% full waiting in line to get food. That's ridiculous. No wonder everybody leaves at halftime

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I still have the OSU game towel.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Maybe the other "state" thought the cheers were for them? I always find that chant amusing when we play KSU or OSU.

It just doesn’t work when we play another “state”, for example the Alamo Bowl. It was super loud and great but when you play another “state” school it doesn’t really work to it’s full effect

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Eat and drink before the game. Problem solved.
Ya, it might just be me but I've never understood going to any game and ordering an order of chicken strips and french fries. I guess if you haven't had time to eat but I've talked to people who have volunteered at concession stands at sporting events and they say they wouldn't eat the food after seeing it prepared and cleaned up.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Eat and drink before the game. Problem solved.

I know, right? I cannot comprehend people who can't go four hours without eating something.

Ya, it might just be me but I've never understood going to any game and ordering an order of chicken strips and french fries. I guess if you haven't had time to eat but I've talked to people who have volunteered at concession stands at sporting events and they say they wouldn't eat the food after seeing it prepared and cleaned up.
Depending on kick off time, we go in 30-40 minutes early, just to get Chuckies before the game. Best food in the stadium and no line at that time.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
The concessions are a joke but it's been that way for so long it doesn't even phase me anymore. I don't even bother. And it isn't Levi, I've been to plenty of venues that contract with them and the concessions are a night and day difference.

I understand that it is mostly staffed with "volunteers" but there are also 2X as many people to serve now than there was five or so years ago. I know the AD is looking into this and massive improvements are coming. Until then I will skip the concessions and walk to Campustown after the game for a burger, taco or pizza. It's cheaper and better food. I can manage to not eat for three or four hours.

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: Cdiedrick and isu81

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Depending on kick off time, we go in 30-40 minutes early, just to get Chuckies before the game. Best food in the stadium and no line at that time.
You have a plan. What bugs me is when people expect others to solve their problems rather than identifying a solution themselves. I get it, the athletics department has money that could be used to upgrade, but they have other priorities. They aren't worried about people getting their pretzel before the start of the second half.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I still have the OSU game towel.
I have at least two of each towel iowa state has handed out since 2010. Or at least I think I do. Anyone know if they had towels at the Alamo Bowl? I think i read there was a handful (1000?) Iowa State college gameday towels handed out. Would like to get my hands one one or two of those if they exist if anyone could help out.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I can appreciate the concept of eating before. Most games, I personally don't need to go to the concession stands, but when we bring our kids they usually will need something to snack on. I tried 3 different times to go get them something and each time stood in a line that didn't move for about 5 minutes before giving up.

Is not being able to grab something to eat the end of the world? No. But it also is a factor you consider when deciding if the experience of being at the game outweighs just watching it at home.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
At least after years of it being a problem every since they rebuilt the concourses and concession stands they finally figured out that some of the after game traffic problems can be alleviated if they move the condiment tables up against the closed stands rather than leaving them crosswise out in the middle of the concourse.

Good job, people.

• Winner
Reactions: isu81