Game Atmosphere

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I know, right? I cannot comprehend people who can't go four hours without eating something.

We started brining in a water bottle and a bag of M&Ms. Saves a bunch of money and doesn't make me angry at volunteers.

Edit- I'm always amazed how the men's room line is longer than then womens line

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
What was the deal Saturday. It took forever to get out. We usually can get out of the lot within 10 minutes (C1/C2) but it took around an hour this week.

Same here, Lincoln way was jammed up bad. I couldn't even get over to go north on university. That was my first time experiencing that leaving C1/C2. Were they directing vehicles from the lots to the West on Beach and then to Lincoln Way?

scratch

Jan 28, 2018
Speaking of parking. I got to Ames at 830 and drove by the grass lots south of the stadium where I park and hardly any vehicles parked. I thought cool till I rounded the corner at the stop light!!!! You had to snake your way up this hill through a parking lot and back down the hill and then into the grass lot to park. They were filling one lot at a time and then opening the next one when that one got full. It took 1 hour and 10 minutes to park after I rounded the corner at the stop light. Open all the grass lots up at once you idiots to get the vehicles off the streets. I'm sure they all got full. And would have been a lot less congested on the streets.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Had no issues getting out of C2 onto University and on out from there. We are VERY pleased with the traffic changes at Mortensen and 30 this year that keeps things moving. Generally 10 minutes or less from starting the car to being on 30 east.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Speaking of parking. I got to Ames at 830 and drove by the grass lots south of the stadium where I park and hardly any vehicles parked. I thought cool till I rounded the corner at the stop light!!!! You had to snake your way up this hill through a parking lot and back down the hill and then into the grass lot to park. They were filling one lot at a time and then opening the next one when that one got full. It took 1 hour and 10 minutes to park after I rounded the corner at the stop light. Open all the grass lots up at once you idiots to get the vehicles off the streets. I'm sure they all got full. And would have been a lot less congested on the streets.

I drove by the lots on University shortly after 9am and the lines on the roads were surprisingly long. I wondered what was the problem getting them into the lots. Don't know why they do things in such bone-headed ways sometimes.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
ISU sold handtowels, gold of course, for Danny Mac's 1st game against Ohio U.....Of course I bought one for my wife and me and lot of other people bought them also....The stadium looked great when the team came on the field with everyone who had a towel waving their towel...

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I wish K State would bring Ron back. I miss the Prince.

How come those nice people down in manhattan NOT....can always come up with a winning coach.....remember billy bob snyder wanted the ISU job and we turned him down, I assume because he was a Choke Eye Coach....Worst decision in over 100 years...and so billybobsnyder went to the Lil Apple and the rest is history.....

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Had no issues getting out of C2 onto University and on out from there. We are VERY pleased with the traffic changes at Mortensen and 30 this year that keeps things moving. Generally 10 minutes or less from starting the car to being on 30 east.
We never go that way...what have they changed?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We never go that way...what have they changed?

No longer allowed to turn left from Mortensen to University and I think turning right may even be blocked as well. The lights at 30 are also solid green with traffic blocked from coming back towards the stadium on University. Basically it is a much smoother traffic flow. As I said we have yet to spend more than 10 minutes from pulling out of C1/C2 to being on 30 east.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I can appreciate the concept of eating before. Most games, I personally don't need to go to the concession stands, but when we bring our kids they usually will need something to snack on. I tried 3 different times to go get them something and each time stood in a line that didn't move for about 5 minutes before giving up.

Is not being able to grab something to eat the end of the world? No. But it also is a factor you consider when deciding if the experience of being at the game outweighs just watching it at home.

My kid has very little interest in watching the actual game, but has a massive interest in cotton candy, popcorn, etc.

Give him a protein bar? At a football game? We aren't animals.

Going to games with my old man was always a time to eat and drink junk food until you got sick. It was a blast and provided some amazing memories.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
My kid has very little interest in watching the actual game, but has a massive interest in cotton candy, popcorn, etc.

Give him a protein bar? At a football game? We aren't animals.

Going to games with my old man was always a time to eat and drink junk food until you got sick. It was a blast and provided some amazing memories.
Well said. ISU is losing money, and taking the shine off of the game day experience, by not holding Levy accountable in running JTS concessions. It should be "easy" for fans to spend their money, not "hard."

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
No longer allowed to turn left from Mortensen to University and I think turning right may even be blocked as well. The lights at 30 are also solid green with traffic blocked from coming back towards the stadium on University. Basically it is a much smoother traffic flow. As I said we have yet to spend more than 10 minutes from pulling out of C1/C2 to being on 30 east.
We usually go down Lincoln Way and out via old 30. Last Saturday we had to stop by Menard's on our way home, so we chose to take Lincoln Way out to Dayton then double back, figuring we would avoid the bulk of the traffic that way. When we left Menard's and got back to Dayton, we were not allowed to access 30 from there. They had a cop blocking the on-ramp. Even with that ramp blocked, the traffic was just crawling on 30. We ended up going back north on Dayton and east on old 30.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We usually go down Lincoln Way and out via old 30. Last Saturday we had to stop by Menard's on our way home, so we chose to take Lincoln Way out to Dayton then double back, figuring we would avoid the bulk of the traffic that way. When we left Menard's and got back to Dayton, we were not allowed to access 30 from there. They had a cop blocking the on-ramp. Even with that ramp blocked, the traffic was just crawling on 30. We ended up going back north on Dayton and east on old 30.

Yeah they have had that ramp closed for a few years now. Thanks to the highway 100 extension in CR we can be in CR before the call in show gets over. In a few years when more parts of 30 are made to be four lane we might even get it down to close to an hour and a half trip one way!

Reactions: ImJustKCClone

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Where are there these "volunteers" people speak of? Everyone I know who's worked concessions at Jack Trice have been paid - by Levy or by a sub-vendor.
It is staffed by volunteers that are working for a formal non-profit that is certified through the Treasury. The university and the vendors have far less overhead cost and the non-profits have a very solid fund raising revenue split.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Agree about the experience getting better. I think it's time we as fans take responsibility to bring towels ourselves - I know we have several sets we have collected over the years. Maybe all of us on CF can start bringing towels (Cardinal or gold) to every game and start pushing this and maybe it will catch on.
I have a Tulsa towel from the 2012 Liberty Bowl. By the time I decided I wanted one and went back, they were out of ISU towels, so I took what I could get! lol. Too Soon? Absolutely, positively the worst live experience as a Cyclone fan. I am still annoyed that ISU fans showed up like they did and were treated to a dud of a game. That was the last straw for me in the Paul Rhoads Era. I do still have the Tulsa towel though! An odd souvenir, but at least it has a story.

Last edited:
Reactions: cygrads

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We started brining in a water bottle and a bag of M&Ms. Saves a bunch of money and doesn't make me angry at volunteers.

Edit- I'm always amazed how the men's room line is longer than then womens line

Because there's probably 2 or even 4x as many men at a college football game yet equal numbers of bathrooms